Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

vettim89

RE: The Last Mission

Post by vettim89 »

I was thinking about this and I envy you not Cuttlefish. These first two epilogues were perhaps the easiest to wrtite. They are going to get harder for sure. Obviously some one has a book to write - was it Shoji? My memory fails me. But fitting end stories for Taiki, the lieutenant, the captain, and Shun. Waiting for you to amaze me
"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry
kaleun

Post by kaleun »

If this does not turn into a pdf book or such I am going to have to cut and paste the whole thing in Word[X(]
(shudders!)
Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu
Onime No Kyo

Post by Onime No Kyo »

Holy Moses! I'm glad to see Riku has finally made something of himself. By our standards at least. I wonder what Shun thinks of his son-in-law traipsing around the world dressed like a penguin. [:D]
"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

CF, such little things you get right just make the writing pleasureable, in particular the proper use of Japanese names with Family name, then Given name.  "Ariga Riku" caught my eye.  Thank you.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
SireChaos

Post by SireChaos »

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

Holy Moses! I'm glad to see Riku has finally made something of himself. By our standards at least. I wonder what Shun thinks of his son-in-law traipsing around the world dressed like a penguin. [:D]

Who knows? What would a lowly Okinawan sailor think of the man who made his daughter the wife of a high-ranking Japanese government official?
Reg

Post by Reg »

ORIGINAL: vettim89

I was thinking about this and I envy you not Cuttlefish. These first two epilogues were perhaps the easiest to write. They are going to get harder for sure. Obviously some one has a book to write - was it Shoji? My memory fails me. But fitting end stories for Taiki, the lieutenant, the captain, and Shun. Waiting for you to amaze me

Not like there's pressure or anything..... [:D]

I would also like to join the chorus to say that I have been following this tale avidly for the last two years. This is the most amazing piece of writing I have seen for a long long time. Sometimes fun, sometimes informative but always memorable. Well Done.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

Wow!  The war is over and yet our tale continues.  CF what can I say?  [&o] You have woven a well conceived, researched and written tale that sets the bar at lofty standards for those who follow.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

“They are back home on Okinawa being looked after by their grandfather at present. He spoils them terribly.” This last is said in a tone almost of wonder

Well, well. Funny how grandchildren can bring out the gentler side of even Shun. Six children? It looks like mine wasn't the only prediction that came true. . .
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock
“They are back home on Okinawa being looked after by their grandfather at present. He spoils them terribly.” This last is said in a tone almost of wonder

Well, well. Funny how grandchildren can bring out the gentler side of even Shun. Six children? It looks like mine wasn't the only prediction that came true. . .

Yeah but the fortune teller was paid to say that or was she? Perhaps she took the money and merely said what she saw? Hmmmmmm
funkatron3000

Post by funkatron3000 »

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock
&#8220;They are back home on Okinawa being looked after by their grandfather at present. He spoils them terribly.&#8221; This last is said in a tone almost of wonder

Yeah but the fortune teller was paid to say that or was she? Perhaps she took the money and merely said what she saw? Hmmmmmm

I wonder if the breakdown was actually three boys and three girls? Riku and Nanami managed reached six in any case [:)]

Also, thanks for the great story Cuttlefish. The amount of thought, research, and sheer time you invested was truly impressive. Do you have a sense of how long this story would be in book form? Any military fiction anthologies you could submit this to? It would be great to see it in print.
Cuttlefish

Post by Cuttlefish »

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

CF, such little things you get right just make the writing pleasureable, in particular the proper use of Japanese names with Family name, then Given name.  "Ariga Riku" caught my eye.  Thank you.

What's significant is that Kennedy knew it, too. Being a guest of the Japanese for several years is wonderfully educational.
Cuttlefish

Post by Cuttlefish »

The last line of this entry seems to suggest the fortune was not entirely a put-up job.
Cuttlefish

Epilogue

Post by Cuttlefish »

May 30, 1968: Anaheim, California

The parking lot of Anaheim Stadium shimmers in the Southern California sunshine. Heat rises from the asphalt and sunlight glints off the windshields of cars as they pull into the wide parking lot that surrounds the stadium. The light gives everything a faded, washed-out appearance. To the north the nearby mountains are mostly obscured by an ochre haze.

Jerry Ogata approaches the stadium from the left-field side, near where the giant “A” with its scoreboard towers immediately behind the left field wall. He rounds a decorative island of palm trees and turns towards the ticket booths. As he does so he slows. A woman in a blue dress is standing nearby, alone, looking around with great interest at the people passing by.

There are many attractive women in the crowd but something about this one catches Jerry’s attention. She is of Japanese descent, like himself, and very attractive. More than this, she has a lively, intelligent face. Jerry has dated too many women lately who were either vapid and shallow or who thought that being vapid and shallow was what men wanted and have gotten the act down to the point where they can hardly change it. This woman is something else again, he can tell.

As he draws closer Jerry picks up more clues. No wedding ring, good. The way her glossy dark hair falls, the subtle makeup, and the conservative way she is dressed suggests that she might actually be Japanese, not Japanese-American. That’s all right.

He smiles as he passes and she smiles back. It’s a small smile but this is all the encouragement he needs.

“Pardon me,” he says. “But are you looking for something? I come here a lot and would be glad to show you around.” There. Helpful, friendly, not obviously a come-on; she can pick up on it or shoot him down politely with no loss of face on either side.

“Thank you,” she says. “I am not lost. I am just waiting for my grandfather.” She indicates the nearby restrooms. Her English is very good but with a strong accent. Definitely from the old country, then. And she is here with her grandfather, not a boyfriend. Good, if not ideal.

“Oh,” he says. That’s good, Jerry, he thinks sarcastically, very smooth. “That’s cool. Um, you’re from Japan, aren’t you?”

“Yes,” she says. “This is my first visit to America.” An opening!

“How do you like it here?” he asks.

“Well,” she says, “it is very different. I do not mean just the people, and the food, and so on. Look at this.” She waves her hand out over the parking lot, acres and acres of it surrounding the stadium on every side. “So much space! You would never see something like this in Japan.”

“I have never been there,” Jerry admits. “My parents are from Tokyo originally but I was born here. I have always wanted to see it, though.” In fact Jerry was born in the Gila River interment camp, though he does not remember the place. “My name is Jerry, by the way. Jerry Ogata.”

“It is nice to meet you, Mr. Ogata,” she says. “My name is Sachiko.” She smiles and Jerry’s heart involuntarily shifts into a higher gear. She has a great smile.

Jerry is so intent on her that he does not notice the elderly gentleman approach. Sachiko does, though, and turns to him.

“Hello, Grandfather,” she says. Jerry turns to face the man. He is somewhat shorter than Jerry and, though he is really, really old – at least in his 60’s – is still an arresting figure. The whiteness of his hair and bushy eyebrows contrasts sharply with his deeply tanned, weathered face. The glitter in his eyes reminds Jerry of a bird of prey and he stands ramrod-straight with his still-broad shoulders square.

“Grandfather, this is Mr. Ogata,” she says, shifting to Japanese. Jerry can follow it; it is the language his parents still use around the home. “He has very nicely offered to show us around.” The old man’s bright eyes turn full on Jerry and he feels the full force of the personality behind them. This is not a guy you want to mess with, he thinks.

“I am very pleased to meet you, Mister…?” Jerry says in Japanese, extending his hand. The old man looks at it as if deciding whether to shake it or tear it off his wrist.

“Ishii,” grunts the man after a moment, taking his hand briefly. “Ishii Hagumu. Thank you for your offer, Mr. Ogata, you are…most kind…but my granddaughter and I are fine.” Damn! thinks Jerry. There is no way he is going to get around this formidable old buzzard.

“Grandfather,” says Sachiko, laying a hand on his arm. “Are you sure? It might be convenient to have someone help show us around.” The old guy looks at her and his expression softens. He turns back to Jerry.

“What do you do, Mr. Ogata?” he asks.

“I…I, um, I study physics at Cal Tech,” Jerry says. “I’m a graduate student there.” Sachiko brightens.

“Truly?” she says. “I study physics too! At Osaka University!” This is too good to be true, thinks Jerry. He is hauled back to reality by the old man.

“And you are a baseball fan, Mr. Ogawa?” he asks.

“Yes, I love the game,” he replies. “I usually follow the Dodgers but since the Tigers are in town I have come here. I like them and I think they have a very good team this year.” Jerry doesn’t know what he just said but the old man’s expression becomes immediately less severe.

“Indeed?” he asks.

“We are here to see the Tigers,” Sachiko says. “My father has always wanted to see them play. He has been a fan all his life, especially of the great Hank Greenburg.” This casual bit of news strikes Jerry like a thunderbolt. With the Tigers in town there is a chance, a very good chance…

“Sir,” he tells Ichii, “if you will put yourselves in my hands I promise you will not regret it.” Ichii looks steadily at him and his gaze seems to dissect Jerry. Then he shrugs.

“Very well, young man,” he says. “Lead on.”

Jerry leads them around the stadium to the first-base side. As they thread their way through the crowd Sachiko tells him that her grandfather is a sea captain who retired a couple of years ago and has brought his wife to America on a long-awaited vacation. Sachiko and her sister have come with them. The other sister and her grandmother are spending the day shopping.

“He retired from the navy after the war and was home for about a year,” she explains. “But he grew restless and went back to sea. For twenty years he has sailed merchant ships around the Pacific. Now he is retired for good.”

It is still early and Jerry obtains good seats, behind the first base dugout though a ways back from the field. When the Ishii and Sachiko are settled Jerry excuses himself briefly and hurries down the steps towards the rail. He scans the seats as he goes. Please, please, please, he thinks..there! Jerry finds the man he is looking for and hurries to plop down in the empty seat next to him. The man turns an annoyed look in his direction but his expression changes as he hears what Jerry has to say.

---

It is a short while later when Jerry returns to where Ichii and Sachiko are sitting. He is followed by a tall, broad-shouldered man wearing a dress shirt and slacks. The man’s hair is graying and receding but his deep-set eyes and large, high-bridged nose are distinctive. Ishii looks up in shock, then stands as quickly as he ever must have stood to attention as a young officer so long ago.

“Mr. Ishii?” says the man, extending his hand. “My name is Hank Greenburg.” Sachiko translates, and the look she gives Jerry sends his spirits soaring. Ishii simply gapes, then bows deeply and reverently. Greenburg looks amused.

“He lives in Beverly Hills now,” Jerry whispers to Sachiko. “He comes to a lot of the games here and almost never misses the Tigers. Most people here don’t even know who he is.”

It is a good game. The Tigers of Detroit defeat the Angels of California 7 to 3; Joe Sparma wins his fourth game and Northrup and Freehan hit home runs for the Tigers. With Jerry and Sachiko translating the two older men talk about the game and about baseball for nine innings. The two men quickly establish a rapport despite the fact that they do not speak a common language and despite the fact that they once fought on opposite sides of savage war. It slowly occurs to Jerry, watching them, that despite having nothing in common except baseball the two older men seem to be of a common breed, fading but still formidable, men who once walked in the shadows and returned.

---

Note: Captain Ishii dies of stomach cancer in 1976, at age 76, at his home in Japan. Among the mourners at his funeral service are Jerry and Sachiko Ogata and their son, Ishii’s first great-grandchild.

whippleofd

RE: Epilogue

Post by whippleofd »

I don't know why, but this one made my eyes water a tad.

You're good.

Whipple
MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors
thegreatwent

Post by thegreatwent »

IIRC the Tigers won the World Series that year[:)].

Agian, a great post CF. Your Baseball chapter is a favorite of mine although I know some didn't care for the distraction from the war. As a literary tool it provided another point of reference that many readers could share with your characters.
Researching The Great White Fleet I found mention of a few pick up games played in Japan but never found a box score, now I imagine your characters fathers playing in those games. I also wonder how the contrast of American playing styles and Japanese compared back then.

Thanks again for all your effort.

--Just checked the Tigers won the Series that year and 103 games.
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

Tiger beat the Cardinals in WS in 1968. IIRC, Denny McLain won 30 games that year. Alas, Capt Ishi and I would have commiserated over the events in Detroit and Minneapolis over the past week.
Onime No Kyo

Post by Onime No Kyo »

That was absolutely magnificent, CF!!!

[&o][&o][&o][&o][&o]

I must say, young Ogata has some sizable cajones. [:D] Is there something in the author's own experience at picking up girls at work here? I wonder. [;)]

I wonder also about what Ishii and Shun would have said to one another if they met at that time, having become....umm...domesticated.
"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

With the subtelty of a New York City beggar, Cuttlefish slips in the fact about the 68-year-old Captain Ishii being "very, very old." Ouch.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

With the subtelty of a New York City beggar, Cuttlefish slips in the fact about the 68-year-old Captain Ishii being "very, very old." Ouch.

lol - everyone past 40 is very-very old when you're in your early 20's... <grin>
TTFN,

Mike
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: Whipple

I don't know why, but this one made my eyes water a tad.

You're good.

Whipple

I know why.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Return to “After Action Reports”