Requests For Artwork.

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Don Bowen

RE: Little Ships

Post by Don Bowen »

ORIGINAL: JWE

... Graphic coming to a Don Bowen email, near you.

Ciao. John

Wonderful! Don't tell anyone but the one I "created' was cut down from the Janssens bitmap that was done by a talented individual to be named later.

(edit) Couple of interesting links:

http://users.cyberone.com.au/clardo/the_far_east.html

http://www.merchantnavyofficers.com/straits.html

JWE

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen
I'd like to find ship artwork for the following "little ships":

US Navy YO-46 class yard oiler (235 ft)
US Army FS small cargo ship (177 ft steel type, like the USS Reluctant from the movie Mr. Roberts)
Australian Requisitioned Patrol Craft Wilcannia (216.4 ft)
Australian Naval Oiler Kurumba (not so little)
New Zealand Requisitioned Minesweeper Matai (219 ft)
Philippine Government Cutter Arayat (formerly Spanish and US Gunboat)
US Navy PE "Eagle Boat"
US Patrol Yacht Southern Seas (228 ft)
US Patapso class AOG (310 ft)
US APc type Coastal Transport (103 ft)
US Navajo class Fleet Tug (205 ft)
A good example of a converted Fishing Boat type PYc or YP.

All for my personal use.  Thanks.
Sorry it took so long. Coming to an email near you soon.

Attachments
DonsBabies.jpg
DonsBabies.jpg (20.39 KiB) Viewed 559 times
JWE

Post by JWE »

Last but not least.

Anybody have pics of HMNZS Matai (aux minesweeper) or Philippine Cutter Arayat, I'd sure appreciate seeing them.

Ciao.

Attachments
DonsBabies2.jpg
DonsBabies2.jpg (8.21 KiB) Viewed 554 times
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

Thank you John. I'm happier than my ex-wife in feces.

JWE

Post by JWE »

LoL.

M‘kay, we have a few Arayats;
Arayat, Spanish Bulusan (Belusan) Class gunboat, 201 tons, 113’ 10”, built Cavite in 1888 for Spain.
USS Samar (US Arayat Class), 243 tons, 121’, built Canacao in 1887 for Spain. Believed to be ex Spanish Mindanao Class.

Japanese took over some, PG-37, 39, and 41 (ex Callao, Pampanga, and Samar)

Several references to an Arayat (IX-134), sometimes as a 900 ton tanker (IX-134) built in 1888 (wrong!), sometimes as a 900 ton tanker (IX-134) built by Fairfield, Glasgow, in 1918 (better), sometimes as a 903 ton Philippine Revenue Cutter, built 1931, sunk Dec. 27, 1941 (1/3 right).

Lots of confusion. I’m looking for the shallow draft, Bulusan (Belusan) Class, Spanish gunboat. I could use an Almendares Class, if available. Also thought she might be close to the Mindanao Class (USS Panay as example).

Anyone have ideas??
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

LoL.

M‘kay, we have a few Arayats;
Arayat, Spanish Bulusan (Belusan) Class gunboat, 201 tons, 113’ 10”, built Cavite in 1888 for Spain.
USS Samar (US Arayat Class), 243 tons, 121’, built Canacao in 1887 for Spain. Believed to be ex Spanish Mindanao Class.

Japanese took over some, PG-37, 39, and 41 (ex Callao, Pampanga, and Samar)

Several references to an Arayat (IX-134), sometimes as a 900 ton tanker (IX-134) built in 1888 (wrong!), sometimes as a 900 ton tanker (IX-134) built by Fairfield, Glasgow, in 1918 (better), sometimes as a 903 ton Philippine Revenue Cutter, built 1931, sunk Dec. 27, 1941 (1/3 right).

Lots of confusion. I’m looking for the shallow draft, Bulusan (Belusan) Class, Spanish gunboat. I could use an Almendares Class, if available. Also thought she might be close to the Mindanao Class (USS Panay as example).

Anyone have ideas??

I believe Callao class is the correct answer. The unit in the Philippine Off Shore Patrol was an ex-Spanish Gunboat taken over by the USN after 1898 and sold out commercially around 1910. Then purchased by the OSP as a patrol craft and sunk in Manila bay sometime in December, 1941, and subsequently salved and (probably) became the Japanese PB-105.

The reference to a 903 ton Revenue Cutter is very interesting. Don't send me the reference, or I will probably ask for that one too. I know there was a revenue cutter named Apo in the Visayas, relatively fast but a coal burner (referenced in Destination Corregidor). Also the Presidential Yacht Casiana, which was (theoretically) available as a revenue cutter during wartime.

JWE

Post by JWE »

I believe Callao class is the correct answer. The unit in the Philippine Off Shore Patrol was an ex-Spanish Gunboat taken over by the USN after 1898 and sold out commercially around 1910. Then purchased by the OSP as a patrol craft and sunk in Manila bay sometime in December, 1941, and subsequently salved and (probably) became the Japanese PB-105.

The reference to a 903 ton Revenue Cutter is very interesting. Don't send me the reference, or I will probably ask for that one too. I know there was a revenue cutter named Apo in the Visayas, relatively fast but a coal burner (referenced in Destination Corregidor). Also the Presidential Yacht Casiana, which was (theoretically) available as a revenue cutter during wartime.
Found lots of pics, but they are all over the place, from different classes. Can’t figure out who belongs to what, though. Maybe Jane’s or Conway’s ? USS Samar had an 18’ beam and a 7’ draft, suggests a hull more like a scow than one of those quasi-schooner thingies;

You got the reference anyway, here’s the listing for Arayat as a 903 ton revenue cutter, from the book of ship disasters. http://www.photoship.co.uk/Disaster%20Chest/041.pdf No listing in Lloyds back to 1930.

For what it’s worth, on Charter Day for Bacolod City Oct, 19, 1939, the dignitaries were waiting to greet Pres. Quezon, on “Cutter Arayat”, but he arrived on the presidential yacht “Casiana”. http://www.bacolodcity.gov.ph/citycharter.htm Who knows what that might imply.
JWE

Post by JWE »

Here ya go Don. Arayat, Samar, Pampanga, Paragua; 2d and 3d from the left in the foreground row, and 2d and 3d in the middle row.

Attachments
SpanishShips.jpg
SpanishShips.jpg (145.09 KiB) Viewed 574 times
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

Found lots of pics, but they are all over the place, from different classes. Can’t figure out who belongs to what, though. Maybe Jane’s or Conway’s ? USS Samar had an 18’ beam and a 7’ draft, suggests a hull more like a scow than one of those quasi-schooner thingies;

You got the reference anyway, here’s the listing for Arayat as a 903 ton revenue cutter, from the book of ship disasters. http://www.photoship.co.uk/Disaster%20Chest/041.pdf No listing in Lloyds back to 1930.

For what it’s worth, on Charter Day for Bacolod City Oct, 19, 1939, the dignitaries were waiting to greet Pres. Quezon, on “Cutter Arayat”, but he arrived on the presidential yacht “Casiana”. http://www.bacolodcity.gov.ph/citycharter.htm Who knows what that might imply.

This gets curiouser and curiouser. The USS Arayat, ex Spanish Gunboat, was a Samar class gunboat (original Spanish class). 34.59m x 5.31m x 2.03m, 201 tons, 10 knots: http://www.spanamwar.com/span2ndclassgunboats.htm and http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/a10/arayat-i.htm.

Several sources, including Over Seas and Fleets of World War II give Arayat as a ship of 904 to 1200 tons. Doesn't look like the same ship.

I had once found a refererence to Japanese PB-105 being both the ex-Philippine Arayat and the ex-Spanish Arayat. I go look more. For reasons that will require an autopsy to determine, I am just fascinated by this stuff.

(I had previously found a site that equated the old Spanish Arayat to the Philippine Arayat to the Japanese PB-105. I think it might be combinedFleet.com but that site has been down all day)
JWE

Post by JWE »

Dogonne it! Been chasing down that darn Spanish gunboat, but it turns out there were three Arayats.

#1) The storage tanker USS Arayat (IX-134) built Glasgow, 1918, taken and commissioned 1944, 430’, 12,000 tons (Dspl fl). Definitely not this one.

#2) Spanish gunboat Arayat, built Manila Ship Co, Cavite, 1888, 117’, 202 tons which became US gunboat Arayat (1), 121’, 243 tons; decom and sold at Cavite 1910.

#3) Philippine revenue cutter Arayat, built F. Schichau Werft, Danzig, launched May 1931, 190’, 903 register tons. This one is your Huckelberry.

Web sources get cornfuzed. Some list the Arayat as IX-134, built 1888, 903 tons; some give Japanese P-105 as ex-Spanish Arayat; etc.

Think combinedfleet has a good read on who was what. They show Japanese P-105 as ex-Philippine customs cutter Arayat #3.
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

Dogonne it! Been chasing down that darn Spanish gunboat, but it turns out there were three Arayats.

#1) The storage tanker USS Arayat (IX-134) built Glasgow, 1918, taken and commissioned 1944, 430’, 12,000 tons (Dspl fl). Definitely not this one.

#2) Spanish gunboat Arayat, built Manila Ship Co, Cavite, 1888, 117’, 202 tons which became US gunboat Arayat (1), 121’, 243 tons; decom and sold at Cavite 1910.

#3) Philippine revenue cutter Arayat, built F. Schichau Werft, Danzig, launched May 1931, 190’, 903 register tons. This one is your Huckelberry.

Web sources get cornfuzed. Some list the Arayat as IX-134, built 1888, 903 tons; some give Japanese P-105 as ex-Spanish Arayat; etc.

Think combinedfleet has a good read on who was what. They show Japanese P-105 as ex-Philippine customs cutter Arayat #3.

Sure looks like it. I can not now find the web source that linked the Spanish Gunboat thru the Philippines to PB-105, but a more modern vessel makes a lot more sense. Excellent John!

JWE

Post by JWE »

Sure looks like it. I can not now find the web source that linked the Spanish Gunboat thru the Philippines to PB-105, but a more modern vessel makes a lot more sense.
Yeah, sure does. But now the problem is ... what the heck does a 1931 revenue cutter, built at Danzig for the Philippine Govt look like?
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

Sure looks like it. I can not now find the web source that linked the Spanish Gunboat thru the Philippines to PB-105, but a more modern vessel makes a lot more sense.
Yeah, sure does. But now the problem is ... what the heck does a 1931 revenue cutter, built at Danzig for the Philippine Govt look like?

Beats me. I Googled "revenue cutter arayat" and half the hits were for this forum!

JWE

Post by JWE »

Beats me. I Googled "revenue cutter arayat" and half the hits were for this forum!
Guess we hit the big time, hey?

Think maybe Arayat should go that that special place in Neptune's bosom reserved for those hulls unsung and unnoticed. Rest in peace, in the quiet of the deep.
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

Guess we hit the big time, hey?

Think maybe Arayat should go that that special place in Neptune's bosom reserved for those hulls unsung and unnoticed. Rest in peace, in the quiet of the deep.

Don't spend too many tears for poor old Arayat - there's always the Don's Babies mod.

TOMLABEL

Post by TOMLABEL »

Somehow I missed these. Great work as usual JWE!! [&o][&o][&o][&o]
Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln
traskott

Post by traskott »

About the Arayat, the ship which fought at 1898 was the gunship Arayat, ordered by "Orden de 1886". 208 Tn, Guns: One Hontoria of 9 cm at prow (sometimes of 7 cm), one of 7cm on rear and two MGs of 11 mg. 11 knots, steel hull.

Hope it helps

Besides, there was another Arayat at 1860.
TIMJOT

Post by TIMJOT »

Here is a pic of the HMNZS Matai if you are still looking for one.
Attachments
Matai.jpg
Matai.jpg (82.44 KiB) Viewed 605 times
JWE

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: TIMJOT

Here is a pic of the HMNZS Matai if you are still looking for one.
Very helpful. Thank you very much.
Samro11

RE: artwork request...

Post by Samro11 »

Could any one suppy art for a British M1 Class Sub, and maybe M2 type with hanger?
sounds silly but im interested how usefull sutch a sub would be..
would be interesting.

also after art for Hamden & Skua does any exist?
Cheers for any help..

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”