How to Start a PBEM Game

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

goodboyladdie

RE: How to Start a PBEM Game

Post by goodboyladdie »

Ok. Sorry. Won't happen again...

Art by the amazing Dixie
Jones944

Post by Jones944 »

ORIGINAL: Kid

Japan player sends turn save file (witp003.pws) and combat save replay file (witp001.wps)
Wow, four years in and no one has corrected the typo? That should be witp001.pws, shouldn't it?

Loving the game so far!
"Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war" - William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar"
siRkid

Post by siRkid »

ORIGINAL: Jones944

ORIGINAL: Kid

Japan player sends turn save file (witp003.pws) and combat save replay file (witp001.wps)
Wow, four years in and no one has corrected the typo? That should be witp001.pws, shouldn't it?

Loving the game so far!

Yes funny how time flys. I was just looking at my first post as WitP Beta Test Coordinator, that was 6 years ago and I'm still at it.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

siRkid

Post by siRkid »

Oh, and wlcmoe to the gmae.[;)]
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

jerrylt2008

Post by jerrylt2008 »

Ok as I am playing the allies, how do i process the witp001.wps file? I know I just have to load the saved game file witp001.pws file, but the other? Thanks.
"One tin soldier rides away........."
Charbroiled

Post by Charbroiled »

ORIGINAL: jerrylt2008

Ok as I am playing the allies, how do i process the witp001.wps file? I know I just have to load the saved game file witp001.pws file, but the other? Thanks.

As allies, you should recieve AS A MINIMUM from the Japanese player, 2 files...the witp001.pws and the witp(save#).pws, where (save#) is the number you and your opponent agreed to save the game.

Move both of these to your C:\Matrix\Witp\Saves directory (if you use the default path). Start the game and load 001, combat save. Watch the action. It should automatically create the combat file, the operation file, and the intel file. After it is done, the game should go the main menu screen. Load the save number you and your opponent agreed to save the game too. Give your orders....execute the turn....send the witp(save#).pws to your opponent.

"When I said I would run, I meant 'away' ". - Orange
jerrylt2008

Post by jerrylt2008 »

Thank you so much, i would not have known that. the manual is a little fuzzy here. Thanks again.
"One tin soldier rides away........."
Charbroiled

Post by Charbroiled »

It is ideal for the Japanese player to send you the "combatreport.txt" file. Compare the one he sends you to the one that is created (it can be found in the Saves directory). If they look the same, you do not have a problem. If they look different, even a little bit, then you have been hit with the sync bug and what you see on the 001, combat save is not 100% correct. Usually, the sync bug works itself out after a turn or so, but could return at any time.
Hawspipe

Post by Hawspipe »

Thank for the info. This thread was a great read
Hawspipe
USS Cogswell DD 651
1956 to 1961
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: Charbroiled

As allies, you should recieve AS A MINIMUM from the Japanese player, 2 files...the witp001.pws and the witp(save#).pws, where (save#) is the number you and your opponent agreed to save the game.

Move both of these to your C:\Matrix\Witp\Saves directory (if you use the default path). Start the game and load 001, combat save. Watch the action. It should automatically create the combat file, the operation file, and the intel file. After it is done, the game should go the main menu screen. Load the save number you and your opponent agreed to save the game too. Give your orders....execute the turn....send the witp(save#).pws to your opponent.

OK, I'm short on coffee this morning , so I apologize in advance for my slowness.

I'm getting ready to Take The Plunge

I clear my entire Saved Games directory ( just to be safe, I know it's not neccesary).

I take the 2 files my Japanese opponent sends me, the witp001.pws and the witp003.pws files (from the example), and copy them into the C:\Matrix\Witp\Saves directory.

I start WITP, select PBEM, select load game, & load witp001.pws, enter password, watch the action.

Game goes to main menu.

Load witp003.pws , password, give orders, (and I get confused here) hit the little red button & watch my turn execute?

Save my executed turn to witp003.pws , and email it to my Japanese opponent?

Gawd help me, if I have this correct (or close) I may need to go make a plea here for a PBEM.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Charbroiled

Post by Charbroiled »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

ORIGINAL: Charbroiled

OK, I'm short on coffee this morning , so I apologize in advance for my slowness.

I'm getting ready to Take The Plunge

I clear my entire Saved Games directory ( just to be safe, I know it's not neccesary).

I take the 2 files my Japanese opponent sends me, the witp001.pws and the witp003.pws files (from the example), and copy them into the C:\Matrix\Witp\Saves directory.

I start WITP, select PBEM, select load game, & load witp001.pws, enter password, watch the action.

No password is needed to watch the combat replay (the .001 file)
Game goes to main menu.

Load witp003.pws , password, give orders, (and I get confused here) hit the little red button & watch my turn execute?

You watched the previous turn execute when you loaded the .001 file. As the allies, once you load the .003 turn, you enter your password, give order, execute, then email. You will not see the execution of that turn until the Japan player sends you the .001 in the next email.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”