Standardized Artwork Set

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

undercovergeek

RE: Standardized Artwork Set

Post by undercovergeek »

ok, here are the major classes - cv, bb, ca, cl, dd in glorious technicolour - had a lot of fun doing this - cant wait to see the AE stuff

Attachments
majorclasses.gif
majorclasses.gif (195.76 KiB) Viewed 427 times
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: undercovergeek

any sneaky pics?

has the format changed at all, still 200 x 60, ship side and a background? or is it bigger and we're in for a detail extravaganza?!!

There are a few pics out there [:)] IIRC the art sizes are unchanged.

EDIT: Something I've been working on. There may be some sort of prize for the first person to i.d. her correctly*

*But probably not

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (11.59 KiB) Viewed 420 times
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
JWE

Post by JWE »

any sneaky pics?

has the format changed at all, still 200 x 60, ship side and a background? or is it bigger and we're in for a detail extravaganza?!!
Oh, lots of sneaky pics. No format change, SAIEW.

Ok, the whole thing behind a “standard” art set was to satisfy Matrix requirements for uniform scaling, uniform background, uniform intensity and saturation, uniform contrast, etc. That’s it, although Matrix did request that we not utilize dazzle cammo, because it hides detail that matrix thinks is important to the general player community.

We (the artists) agree, although we have found certain colorization vectors acceptable to Matrix which are used in AE. We have also developed about a gazillion MB of ‘after market’ pics that just drop in.

Only thing that makes it “standard” is scaling and background. Be glad to send ya the scale factors and a panel of 12 different backgrounds all with the same color/intensity/contrast values.

Anyhow, here’s ours.

Attachments
geeks.jpg
geeks.jpg (34.47 KiB) Viewed 422 times
undercovergeek

Post by undercovergeek »

you know, for a few seconds there i thought - hang on, that looks the same as mine!!!

cool pics thanks for all help
undercovergeek

Post by undercovergeek »

out of interest, without much experience in the field - if you were to correctly scale all ships and obviously had the biggest pic for CVs just how small would a DD be next to the CV?
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Well, if you look at the pics John posted, you have your answer.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

out of interest, without much experience in the field - if you were to correctly scale all ships and obviously had the biggest pic for CVs just how small would a DD be next to the CV?

You can find out. IIRC the formula used was (ship length in feet)*0.165 + 45 pixels
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
undercovergeek

Post by undercovergeek »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Well, if you look at the pics John posted, you have your answer.

that actually is the size of a dd compared to a CV? wow - i thought they would be huge
JWE

Post by JWE »

that actually is the size of a dd compared to a CV? wow - i thought they would be huge
The game scale factor does make smaller ships relatively larger than an IRL linear scale would. Otherwise you probably couldn’t even see them. Here’s a Ticonderoga with a game scale Simms, a game scale Elco 77’ and a Simms and Elco rendered at actual scale.

Attachments
scale.jpg
scale.jpg (5.35 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

ORIGINAL: JWE

The game scale factor does make smaller ships relatively larger than an IRL linear scale would. Otherwise you probably couldn’t even see them. Here’s a Ticonderoga with a game scale Simms, a game scale Elco 77’ and a Simms and Elco rendered at actual scale.

It's purely an artwork question (an area in which "I have no talent" must be written in bold), but it might be nice to have the sides enlarged but the shills true size??

JWE

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen
It's purely an artwork question (an area in which "I have no talent" must be written in bold), but it might be nice to have the sides enlarged but the shills true size??
Well, there's only about a thousand pics, but ... a shopping bag filled with large denomination bills might do the trick.
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

ORIGINAL: JWE

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen
Well, there's only about a thousand pics, but ... a shopping bag filled with large denomination bills might do the trick.

Sorry, I no longer have a shopping bag. I'm divorced.

SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

The artwork I see here is nothing short of fantastic. Thanks for your time and sharing, Many thanks!![&o][&o][&o]
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
JWE

Post by JWE »

Just wait till you see what AE has in store. There's maybe a thousand new pieces of art - all the upgrades and conversions, oh my. Then there's all the 'after market' stuff done by the artists, with camo patterns on a year to year basis. Woof !

I think only God, or maybe Kelley (TomLabel) knows just how many thousands of art options there will be. But in any case, the idea was to morph the art as ya'll morphed the ships. Think we got that done. Thanks for the kudos. We aim to serve.
TOMLABEL

Post by TOMLABEL »

Man, with all stuff done by you and Big B, I stopped counting long ago! [:D][:)][8D]
Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln
Cathartes

Post by Cathartes »

The AE ship art is delicious and fully satisfyin', but you will be forever wondering how they put them all together inside those little rectangles.
If you like beer and salty snacks, the ships go very well with that!  
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Just because I'm bored and still waiting for AE, HMS Glenearn...

Attachments
HMSGlenearn.jpg
HMSGlenearn.jpg (11.31 KiB) Viewed 419 times
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
JWE

Post by JWE »

Yep, the Glens are in there. Also got some Star Lines boats that show up from time to time.

Ya'll want to see some pics? I have lots of beer and a bunch of salty snacks, and can probably skweze them into a teensy rectangle or two.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Cathartes is obviously the king of plane sides. I was wondering how his plane sides would look sharpened a little more. What do others think? On the right is the original and on the left has been sharpened using PSP. Just curious.

NOTE: JPG format adds distortion to the pictures.

Terminus

Post by Terminus »

This is just my take on it, but I think the sharpened sides look too "defined" somehow. Not to my taste.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”