AI Sub Cheat

Post bug reports here.

Moderator: Tankerace

Firebomber47

AI Sub Cheat

Post by Firebomber47 »

Ever get the feeling subs controlled by the AI know where your TF is going? No, you're not being paranoid. I peeked on the other side of the fence after getting suspicious when a Jap sub kept popping up in the hex where my US CV TF was. I saved the turn, went to the Main Menu and selected Both Computer, then looked at the destination assigned to this pesky I-boat only to see that it was following TF 201 - my CV TF! Jap TFs are all below the 200-range, so that stuck out like a sore thumb. Don't believe me? Take a gander at this screen shot, which I offer up as 'Exhibit A'. I thought, "Cool, a new tactic where US subs could trail crippled Jap CVs as they limp away and finish the job, a la Yorktown after the Battle of Midway!" But there was just one problem. A human player can't assign this mission to US subs! So, once again, the AI has another way to cheat during the game. My solution? Take control of said offending sub and give it a destination up in the top corner of the game map. See you later, Charlie...

Attachments
UV_Jap_Sub_Cheat.jpg
UV_Jap_Sub_Cheat.jpg (121.86 KiB) Viewed 443 times
DEB

RE: AI Sub Cheat

Post by DEB »

I have no problem with the AI being able to do this, so long as it has searched & spotted the TF. Appears historical to me. It is, however, a pain ( and unfair ), if the player cannot do the same.

As it's a long time since I played this game, and I cannot recall if the player can or cannot do this; I will have a go ( in the near future ) at proving / disproving it. It may just be a matter of finding out the precise procedure.
DEB

RE: AI Sub Cheat

Post by DEB »

I've had a look at this and can only conclude that :-

1. In order to "follow another TF" it must be :-

a) A friendly TF or
b) an enemy TF that :

1) has been spotted by the Sub in question ( in the same hex ) and/or
2) has a CV ( or other large capital ship ) in it *

OR

2. As you say, it can't be done!!

By the way, it applies to the AI generally and not the Japanese AI only!

* What the definition of an "appropriate" ship would be here, I do not know, and can only surmise that it would be ( approx.) as I have stated.

NB : I have tried to follow an enemy TF (with CVL)after an unsucessful torpedo attack, and failed... I presume the sub should have "spotted" the TF as it made the attack!

NBB : The patch notes say that a "sub following a TF will not follow it into a known minefield" ( but it is unclear if this applies to a friendly TF, an enemy one, or both).

FAIDC ( if anything traced / learnt ).

Return to “Tech Support”