v2.5 update for Uncommon Valor released

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

Alex Fiedler

v2.5 update for Uncommon Valor released

Post by Alex Fiedler »

The latest update to this World War II strategy title is locked, loaded, and ready for action!

Matrix Games and 2by3 Games (www.2by3games.com) have released an update for the longstanding operational South Pacific strategy game, Uncommon Valor. Almost 5 years after its release, gamers can download the version 2.5 update to fix an issue with random disappearing aircraft and two brand new interface features: the assault value of each land unit is now displayed on the unit orders screen and the number of defensive mines at a base now appears on the base orders screen.

Uncommon Valor is an operational strategy game covering the WWII campaign for the South Pacific from May, 1942 to the end of December, 1943. With an intuitive, streamlined interface which keeps needless micro-management to a minimum, players can wage air, naval and land battles with detail and precision never before achieved in a game of this scale.

There are 18 campaigns included with the game, all of which can be played against the computer opponent, by hot-seat, or through secure email (PBEM). For the modders among us, players can also have unparalleled control over their own custom campaigns using the Campaign Editor. The player can choose many game options concerning limited intelligence, music and sound effects, the length of pause between messages, the types and number of messages shown, the length of the turn and other factors allow the player to tailor the game to suit his playing style. Campaigns include a 1943 campaign, two 1942 campaigns, a battle of Coral Sea scenario, and many others.

http://www.matrixgames.com/games/downloads.asp?gid=216
tocaff

RE: New Update for Uncommon Valor!

Post by tocaff »

Would this announcement be considered for newbies as it's redundant.  Kind of makes you think that except for our mod the staff doesn't peek in from time to time and browse or communicate with each other.  Still, thanks for the heads up and continued support.  
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

The latest posted patch 25DR date is 1-16-07 and the 25DRBeta3 is 1-19-07. I must not be seeing something but why does the previous beta patch have a more recent date on the file?
decaro

Post by decaro »

Is the released 2.5 v the same as the beta version?
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

That's what I meant but you said it shorter, and better. [;)]
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

Minor point, but I just installed this update and didn't get asked for my serial number!

Am I delusional? Or is Matrix just figuring it's too old to worry about protection against piracy?
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
Reg

Post by Reg »

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

Minor point, but I just installed this update and didn't get asked for my serial number!

Am I delusional? Or is Matrix just figuring it's too old to worry about protection against piracy?

This thread(scroll down a bit) should answer your question.

But in a nutshell, the original released version didn't have a serial number protection so the patch can't have one either (see thread above to see what can happen).
Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
decaro

Post by decaro »

Odd that we are not getting replies re some concerns with this new comprehensive patch.
I wonder if I should try (another) new install and go directly into 2.5 -- instead of patching over 2.3 -- or just go back to 2.3, or just uninstall UV and call it a day?

I have only a rudimentary knowledge of code (VB), but you would think that all the scenarios in UV share the same functions, which are called-up anytime the game needs them, i.e., pilot reassignment, etc. So a problem in one scenario would be shared by all scenarios using that particular function. Yet I have still experienced (spurious?) problems in different scenarios even with the new comprehensive patch.

Any thoughts on this, or why (almost) the only feedback on v2.5 from the beta testers was "so far, so good"?
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

Odd that we are not getting replies re some concerns with this new comprehensive patch.
I wonder if I should try (another) new install and go directly into 2.5 -- instead of patching over 2.3 -- or just go back to 2.3, or just uninstall UV and call it a day?

Any thoughts on this, or why (almost) the only feedback on v2.5 from the beta testers was "so far, so good"?

Well I guess this comprehensive patch isn't that important?! In the Flashpoint Germany thread I posted a problem on 1-25-06 and still no help. Patience!
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

Patch over V2.3 with V2.5 and play.
Todd

LarryP

Post by LarryP »

That's not the problem. The beta patch file date is newer than the just released patch and both are the same 25DR version. Beta is 1-19-07 and the new patch is 1-16-07.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

We're checking into it.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

I thought that one required the serial # and after we screamed about V1.0 not having it the next didn't require one.  Maybe I still confused from the poundings I'm taking in PBEM.
Todd

Trower44

Post by Trower44 »

ORIGINAL: tocaff

Well, I tried installing it over 2.41 and then over 2.3! Neither works.[:@] Each produces a 'Unable to find UV data' if I try to launch from the 'Game Menu' shortcut and if I try the other start option the game starts but doesn't register the patch. I have the game installed to the default folder before anyone asks.[:)]
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

ORIGINAL: Trower44

ORIGINAL: tocaff

Well, I tried installing it over 2.41 and then over 2.3! Neither works.[:@] Each produces a 'Unable to find UV data' if I try to launch from the 'Game Menu' shortcut and if I try the other start option the game starts but doesn't register the patch. I have the game installed to the default folder before anyone asks.[:)]

Verify the patch installer really installed the patch into your game folder, sometimes it's not able to locate the local gamefolder and falls back to the standard installation path. Your other option is to copy your savegame folder to a temporary folder and deinstall UV and use a fresh install to apply the patch to. Then move back the savegame folder
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Trower44

Post by Trower44 »

Thanks for responding[:)], but I've tried installing the game onto a different system running a different version of XP and I get exactly the same result. It's not a game I play particularly often so it's no big deal if I have to go back to 2.41 but if there's a bug somewhere (other than in my head[:D]) I'd like to see it sorted.[:)]
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Locate your Uncommon Valor folder on your HDD and try to start the game with doubleclick on uncommonvalor.exe . If game starts with 2.42 or older then the patch was not successfully installed. If starting with 2.50 then the shortcut on your desktop was wrong linked.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Trower44

Post by Trower44 »

D'oh!

Cracked it! It was all in the details. The default folder for UV was C:/Program Files/Matrix Games/Uncommon Valour whilst the patch was installing to C:/Matrix Games/Uncommon Valour

Given that the other patches automatically installed to the proper folder I think I can be forgiven for expecting the same of 2.50 ....... can't I?[8D]

Anyway, thanks for the assistance.[:)]
DEB

Post by DEB »

Posted on (by me) 18th January 07 under Post heading Patch 2.50
Thanks for the above suggestions. It turned out not to be the problem though. I finally worked out what that was today.

I have two Matrix games; both are in different Matrix Games folders.
The download went into the wrong Folder file ( along with CotD ).
So I deleted that one, and reinstalled to the correct folder.

The only thing I can say in my defense is that the installer chose the incorrect Folder ( and I allowed it to continue as I did not notice ).

Always worth checking forum posts re any problems!
Trower44

Post by Trower44 »

In my (feeble[:D]) defence I did look around but thought that the problem was elsewhere i.e. I thought I knew what I was doing.[X(]

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”