It's Your Turn

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderator: doomtrader

AH4Ever

It's Your Turn

Post by AH4Ever »

Looking for the best or a better way of executing a turn.

ToF being much more involved than ToW, I was hoping for a more sane approach than just Tabbing through the units.

How often should one use the Unit Manager, if at all?

Should we start with Navy then Air & Land?

All suggestions welcome. Thank you
JJMC

The next best thing to being clever is being able to quote someone who is.

You weren't there Thursday... You MISSED it!
Rasputitsa

RE: It's Your Turn

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: AH4Ever
Looking for the best or a better way of executing a turn.

ToF being much more involved than ToW, I was hoping for a more sane approach than just Tabbing through the units.

How often should one use the Unit Manager, if at all?

Should we start with Navy then Air & Land?

All suggestions welcome. Thank you

ToF has so many ways to access information:

I use the unit manager a lot, you can tell by just running down the columns in the lists which units are in low supply, you can either use the centre control, which will take you to the map centred on the unit selected in the list, or use a transparent info box mod to look through the box onto the map. Either way, you can quickly see which units are in difficulty.

Quick check which units have commanders (do they need a change), or which units might need an upgrade (in the column which shows unit tech levels you can see at a glance which units haven't been upgraded).

Check naval units for time at sea, damage levels, or by re-naming fleets you can remind yourself what you are doing (e.g. rename a fleet 'in dock' - you can check which ships you have put into the 'in dock' fleet and are reminded to add repair where appropriate, or not send them to sea until ready.

I use the re-naming feature a lot, to add notes and remainders into the name text, which can all be quickly checked with a scan down the unit lists.

I think the unit manager is a valuable resource, which can be much more than just a set of lists, as you can manipulate it, to carry more information and dip in and out of the map as you wish.

Which order you handle things will depend on your strategy, but I find myself mostly dealing with naval, air and ground units, in that order, doing naval moves and bombardments, adding air attacks, then ground combat, but see how it works for you.

You need to sometimes plan months ahead, check the reports to see when upgrades will become available. I am in January and planning a major offensive for May, with some preliminary operations in April (whenever the weather improves).

I see that I have an Air upgrade coming in April, can get that done before the offensive, an Armour upgrade in June, which may help to strengthen the attack as it gets started (but need to plan that into the offensive) and an Infantry upgrade in August, but I will have to start stockpiling PPs, so that I can do these upgrades as soon as they become available.

There is a lot of interactive information in this game, not just to read, but to use to your advantage, whilst greatly adding to the immersion and 'feel' of the game. [:)]

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
AH4Ever

Post by AH4Ever »

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

I use the re-naming feature a lot, to add notes and remainders into the name text, which can all be quickly checked with a scan down the unit lists.

I think the unit manager is a valuable resource, which can be much more than just a set of lists, as you can manipulate it, to carry more information and dip in and out of the map as you wish.

Thanks for the input, I'm using renaming to organize the German U-boats.
JJMC

The next best thing to being clever is being able to quote someone who is.

You weren't there Thursday... You MISSED it!
17russia

Post by 17russia »

Try adding an Army name after the unit name. Will help with organization and grouping.
18th Army
16th Army
4th Pz Army
would equate AGN & assign a task in your mind for each army like an axis of advance.

Pz & Moto units with a high level of exp get the SS added to the original unit name. Will keep in mind which units are better for harder tasks.

try that; works really well for when the $hit hits the fan and you need to place the best units.
“I got a great deal on some French WW2 army surplus guns. Never used and only dropped once...”

Return to “The War Room”