Fall Gelb - Corresponding Allied Perspective

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderator: doomtrader

Chocolino

RE: Fall Gelb - Corresponding Allied Perspective

Post by Chocolino »

In North Africa definitely (though the Italians will probably bristle that it is not Italian that is being suggested) .... Russia is not yet convinced.....

And there is a new English speaking neighborhood in Toulouse now as you will see in the next post - for the time being anyways...
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

October 9th, 1941

After the conquest of Egypt for which we have to congratulate the Axis commander (albeit grudgingly), we expect more Axis reinforcements at various USSR fronts. The remaining Turkish troops have seen German units hurrying by eastwards without paying much attention to them - that did not sit well with their pride.

The USSR is slowly getting their morale back. Some few units have now reached 75%. The evacuated industry will hopefully come back online soon in the far east and we hope for an early winter to stabilize the situation. Some reinforcements have arrived from Siberia which are a drop in the ocean considering our large losses at the moment.

(I have hoped to have a stable and constant Russian overall unit strength with new production making up for losses but that was not possible unfortunately once the German tanks finally arrived)

Lend lease was initially approved in the US but it looks that an inefficient Congress is still blocking the departure of our help. (there was an event informing that "actual convoys were not formed - too bad") I happen to agree.

Attachments
Oct941.jpg
Oct941.jpg (360.96 KiB) Viewed 589 times
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

November 1st, 1941

The leaves have fallen in Russia and the Germans only have active operations in the south now. Operations in the north seem to have come to a halt. The USSR industry transported east earlier is online again which is a huge relief. But more and more troops need to be send into the Caucasus now.

German fighters are back home from the East Front to provide air cover at home. During the summer month British strategic bombing with now four bomber fleets was fairly successful in curbing production at Rhein, Ruhr and even up to Hamburg. But now the German fighters did put a stop to this.

As a side note, the partisans in Sarajevo were starved out by a formal Axis siege.

Attachments
Nov141.jpg
Nov141.jpg (319.79 KiB) Viewed 589 times
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

November 24th, 1941

Huge losses of STP in the Atlantic - nothing new. Only a very small fraction, less than a quarter, of British Colony production reaches the British Isles. The British ASW efforts are a mixed bag. Seven carriers are now hunting for Axis subs. After weeks of failure a few weeks with far above average hits follow and so on. The average is about one sub per turn. But the deluge of Axis subs is never stopping.

The Germans still push in the south of the East Front. North and Center have somewhat stabilized. The Axis has so far not the strength to seriously threaten the Caucasus front. But they can of course re-deploy if they wish and certainly have the strength to make progress here if they so desire - but in exchange for progress elsewhere. They certainly bind some Red Army defenders.

The bulk of the Italian Egypt force are still missing - if they were transported to an active front they should have arrived by now. What is the Axis planning next? (In this game they have most noticeably preferred amphibian operations - the Allies are worried ...)

Attachments
Nov-24-41.jpg
Nov-24-41.jpg (336.67 KiB) Viewed 589 times
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

December 24th, 1941

Not a pleasant Christmas for Russian soldiers this year. It looks that the feeble British efforts at ASW warfare and some strategic bombing in northern Germany do little to deter the Germans from their plans in the east. The same is true for partisans who are annoying to the Axis at best without doing any real harm (at the moment partisans hold Toulouse, Nantes and Nis in Serbia). We need deep winter in Russia soon and then the US to join the battle in order to have a chance.

Attachments
dec2441.jpg
dec2441.jpg (331.71 KiB) Viewed 589 times
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

January 24th, 1942

The Iraq has fallen and the Allies are curious where the very successful Mr. Guderian will show up next.

The Caucasus front is more or less quiet at the moment.

Most USSR defenders are back to full efficiency by now but there are no visible winter effects for the German side - besides the weather. [Not even sure if TOF still has these events for the '41/'42 winter.] The Germans push on in the North and South while doing very little in the center.

Attachments
jan2441.jpg
jan2441.jpg (435.89 KiB) Viewed 586 times
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

March 1942

Since January, the Germans have made considerable progress in the southern USSR and are about to break out completely. The Russian front around Rostov is in disarray as a result of the attack. The USSR is about to loose the ability to replace lost units. A new southern Caucasian front does not help and requires yet more Red Army Infantry.

The Germans have to maintain and protect a very long flank from Kiev to Rostov. But the Axis infantry protecting it is at SP 8-12 and is invulnerable to the Russian tanks that are still at Level 1 and SP 7. Russia has Lvl 2 tank technology but cannot afford to save the PPs for the costly upgrades.

Attachments
March42.jpg
March42.jpg (454.83 KiB) Viewed 586 times
critter

Post by critter »

Really nice AAR. Is there an answer to the sub menace?
Where are the first winter effects in Russia?
Are these standard game graphics or a mod?
What do you mean we're out of amunition???
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

Hey critter, thank you for following the AAR.

Take my comments with a grain of salt since I am not an experienced player, but at least I did not find a solution to the sub problem. The economic contribution of the British colonies that is shipped in via convoys to the UK is significant. But it is many month ago that even a single PP (out of 20-40 per week) did arrive in the UK. They are 100% shut off by subs.

In a previous version of the game, there was an event that did fire during winter '41/'42 to reduce the unit strength of the Germans temporarily in the USSR. That is a good opportunity for a USSR counterattack. Unfortunately in this version it never fired and the Germans could fight on during winter to the dismay of the red army. There are still weather effects that hinder an attacker, though. My map mode (one of many standard choices) does not show the weather well. But you can chose other ones where you see the snow.
JLPOWELL

Post by JLPOWELL »

Really nice AAR. Thanks for taking the trouble. BattleVonWar and I are playing essentially the same game but our AAR is much less complete. Takes a lot of time to organize screen-shots and commentary so effectively.

I note we are both playing on 'hard' due my perception is even at 'hard' there is quite a bit of money available for units on both sides. I am not sure of the German unit counts but the Axis minors are 'out of control with I estimate 30 air units (we did not set them to 'hard' like the majors). France did go negative due to high maintenance early in the game and never really recovered. The USSR has many many level 3 inf corps in our game. What is your impression of the $$$ available with majors set to 'hard'?
"Don’t you think that if I were wrong, I’d know it?"
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

I follow you AAR. You seem to fare better than I do as the Allies. I have to look into what I did wrong to get so under the wheels here.
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

May 1942

The USA has finally made up her mind and joined the Allies via event. There will be quite some time until an effective attack can be organized. The question is if the USSR is still alive at this point.

Attachments
May42.jpg
May42.jpg (415.07 KiB) Viewed 587 times
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

June 24th, 1942

The USSR has upgraded about half their infantry now to Lvl 3 which somewhat reduced the constant attrition on the Pskov - Gomel front.

However, the excellent Axis second strike into the Caucasus from Iraq did overwhelm the Red Army's Caucasus defenses. There is still a handful of USSR corps fighting for survival in a retreat through hostile country. The Germans are ready, though to pick them up.

The German attack on Stalingrad seems to have been called off for the time being. The Axis must be regrouping. The anticipated onslaught on Stalingrad was actually the reason for the British diversionary commando raid on Caen. But the Germans pulled back before the landing happened.

In Caen, heavy allied air and naval bombardment prepared the amphibious landing of a polish volunteer tank division which was followed by a few British regulars. The Germans have of course the means to fight them back. But the Russian leadership insisted on a Western Allied commitment to save the crumpling defenses or at least delay the fall.

Attachments
June2442.jpg
June2442.jpg (372.27 KiB) Viewed 587 times
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

August 1942

Our landing in Caen ended in utter defeat already in mid July and admittedly much sooner than I have initially hoped. I am not even sure if this created the desired temporary distraction from the conquest of Stalingrad.

The Allies are now licking their wounds, do research and go about the thankless business of hunting subs in the Atlantic.

Meanwhile Stalingrad is invested by a number of strong German units and it seems to be just a matter of time until the city will fall.

Attachments
Aug42.jpg
Aug42.jpg (522.29 KiB) Viewed 587 times
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

October '42

Stalingrad did fall end of August. The Russian front in the far east is disintegrating now. It is true, the Axis cannot cover the long front with a continuous line of units either in the far east but they have a reasonable area screen. The Russians will soon have to go to point defense. The Russian overall army strength did fall by over 30% over the course of summer '42.

The Russians were able to prey on a few exposed German units during the past weeks but this did not really make a difference in the big scheme of things.

The Germans are slowly rolling up the entire Russian south front and the fight for Moscow is not far away any more.

The Western Allies are desperate for any diversions they can create but the last exercise in Caen has shown that the US tech level is still no match for the Germans.

Attachments
Oct-42.jpg
Oct-42.jpg (300.81 KiB) Viewed 587 times
Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

November 1st, 1942

A sad day for the Soviet Union - but the total collapse of the Red Army is now imminent and we are forced to surrender. As a result the Western Allies see no way to turn this around and will also put down arms.

Gary did play this extremely well and disciplined for the Axis. My congratulations! It is probably not as easy as it seems to play this scenario for the Axis and easy to misstep or be over-aggressive.

Thanks to all that followed this AAR and offered good advice.
napoleric

Post by napoleric »

Chocolino,

a very sad end for the allies, but I have to say that you mastered the AAR! During the past weeks, I enjoyed during going in the forum looking for news about your very personal war with Gwgardner.

I understand you might not be a seasonned wargamer (also your defeat is Honorable in this scenario, ones might add AND with the current patch level of the game) but your reports were exciting!

why not another game with Gwgardner but this time you take the germans?

best regards
eric

Razz1

Post by Razz1 »

Surprised he quit as he was just getting stronger.

Germany wasn't even near Moscow.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Chocolino can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think my winter push would have done Russia in. I would have taken the 100+ PPs southwest of the Urals. And all along the front I was starting to cause him to spend lots of PPs on reinforcements.

Razz1

Post by Razz1 »

Your lines were getting thin. USSR is just about ready to upgrade a level and also an increase in war doctrine level.
More reinforcements come later in the game.
He is paying for early mistakes but was doing okay.
All those extra PP's you have from cities is hurting him.

Good thing it's tougher in Third Reich plus small penalty for too much armor.
The Brits and Americans could have struck the boot or anywhere in the Med.
The Caen attempt was historically a blunder.
He lost good soldiers.
I believe he was getting stronger in bombing the Reich which was playing a toll on the Nazi's.
However, GW conquered so many extra cities he was not feeling enough pain yet, only a Nat buzzing around his head.

One forgets.. all is feeling lost when playing the Soviets. You just need to hold on.

Return to “After Action Reports”