Army-Corps vs Corps-Division problem in v1.06 (solution)

Time of Fury spans the whole war in Europe and gives players the opportunity to control all types of units, ground, air and naval. Not only that, each player will be able to pick a single country or selection of countries and fight his way against either the AI or in multiplayer in hotseat or Play by E-Mail. This innovative multiplayer feature will give player the chance to fight bigger scenarios against many opponents, giving the game a strategic angle that has no equal in the market. The game uses Slitherine’s revolutionary PBEM++ server system.

Moderator: doomtrader

akos01

Army-Corps vs Corps-Division problem in v1.06 (solution)

Post by akos01 »

It's a tiny but annoying "mod" in version 1.06, but here is the solution.

1. open lang_ENG.csv from the main directory
2. open the StringBaseEditor.exe from the main directory
3. in the SBE open the lang_ENG.db

Now you have to see these two identical database.

4. in the .csv you can hunt down all the "Army" entries and delete them (the ones you searching for you will find the at the "unit_size_name_" and the "unit_subtype_" entries)
5. searching for "Army" entries one by one in the .csv file will help find the same entries in the .db file (I wasn't able to search in the SBE, that's why the help from the .csv), where you also delete all the "Army" entries.

Behold! From then on the Corps is corps and Division is division.

[Note: In neither databases the "unit_size_" and the "unit_subtype_***_size_" are in the right order (i.e from company to corps). I rearranged them in the right order just to be sure.]
Rasputitsa

RE: Army-Corps vs Corps-Division problem in v1.06 (solution)

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: akos01

It's a tiny but annoying "mod" in version 1.06, but here is the solution.

1. open lang_ENG.csv from the main directory
2. open the StringBaseEditor.exe from the main directory
3. in the SBE open the lang_ENG.db

Now you have to see these two identical database.

4. in the .csv you can hunt down all the "Army" entries and delete them (the ones you searching for you will find the at the "unit_size_name_" and the "unit_subtype_" entries)
5. searching for "Army" entries one by one in the .csv file will help find the same entries in the .db file (I wasn't able to search in the SBE, that's why the help from the .csv), where you also delete all the "Army" entries.

Behold! From then on the Corps is corps and Division is division.

[Note: In neither databases the "unit_size_" and the "unit_subtype_***_size_" are in the right order (i.e from company to corps). I rearranged them in the right order just to be sure.]

Good work, it's a shame that so many errors creep in with each version of the game, as there is still the 'armor in city' modifier to fix.

Mistakes are easily done, as I was editing the 'units images' folder today and put a .jpeg image in by mistake, which crashed the game until I found it. I'll stay with v1.05 for now, only because ignorance keeps me with what I know.
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
akos01

Post by akos01 »

Thanks.

Yes,it's a pity that the developers apparently abandoned following up this and the SoP.

I've tried the 1.05 version, aside from the CTD it seems better due to some crucial features, for the time being. (E.g. the raider activity and sunken ship reports are broken in v1.06). The v1.06 has a new set of sounds which I prefer to the previous ones. Copy-paste solved it.

Fine game they made, worth keeping it alive and trying to patch up the gaps and improve it.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

I have revised the 'units images' folder, as I think the CTD at start-up was something to do with the amount of data being loaded. Reduced the images from well over 1000 to about 700, but replaced the B+W and distorted images with better colour examples, correctly re-sized.

Here's how the game looks :

I start v1.05 in 'Custom Game' and load a small scenario first (Fall Weiss), reduces data load, then move up to the scenario, or game save that I really want. This does not eliminate the CTDs at start, but helps a lot.

I make a lot of use of F12, to take countries in and out of AI control and keep PP levels sane. I have a CTD in Fall Gelb when the US AI plays, so even as Axis, I take the US under human control with F12 and avoid the CTD. The US is only passing PPs to the Allies in the early game and if the Axis hasn't won by early 1943, there would be no chance anyway, so the US impact on this scenario is minimal.

So it's not ideal, but with care and a little work, there is still a great game here.
Attachments
ToF20FGM..connBEL.jpg
ToF20FGM..connBEL.jpg (481.35 KiB) Viewed 415 times

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

akos01

Post by akos01 »

I've been considering reduce the number of the images and reshape them. I will give it a try. Perhaps it will help reducing the cpu load, too.

I don't understand the PP issue you are writing about. Does it have something to do with CTD? To the upgrade level issue of v1.06 I didn't encounter in v1.05.

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

I've been considering reduce the number of the images and reshape them. I will give it a try. Perhaps it will help reducing the cpu load, too.

I don't understand the PP issue you are writing about. Does it have something to do with CTD? To the upgrade level issue of v1.06 I didn't encounter in v1.05.

In some of the scenarios, country PP levels can vary a wildly and wreck a game, when in reality a nation's production doesn't change that quickly, whatever the cause. These variations are probably due to scenario events, or upkeep settings, but are not realistic, so I take an average PP level for each country and as the game progresses, use F12 access to keep national PP levels stable and keep the game going.

Historically allies gained tech progress from major friendly countries, like Italy and the other Axis allies getting German aircraft and vehicles that they could not develop using their own tech levels, same for US and Britain, Free French etc. So I use 'house rules' for PP transfer between faction countries, using F12, to simulate exchange of technology and resources.

CPU load seems very high for this game, as my desktop fan goes into overdrive when TOF starts.

akos01

Post by akos01 »

Ah, I see.

And does this workaround work? Does it prompt the AI to send PP to minor ally countries?

(I have never played Germany, I'm not familiar with its non-visible events, but I would be surprised if Germany wasn't be able to transfer PP-s to its non-maritime allies or to maritime ones with closed Mediterranean and Black Sea ports.)

I've tried to sent PM, but your account is full.

Ps. Your command buttons in the screenshot are great, by the way :)
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Ah, I see.

And does this workaround work? Does it prompt the AI to send PP to minor ally countries?

(I have never played Germany, I'm not familiar with its non-visible events, but I would be surprised if Germany wasn't be able to transfer PP-s to its non-maritime allies or to maritime ones with closed Mediterranean and Black Sea ports.)

I've tried to sent PM, but your account is full.

Ps. Your command buttons in the screenshot are great, by the way :)
The use of F12 is manual, you select countries, increasing PPs where necessary and decreasing them for other countries, in whatever way you want to control the scenario.

Countries will only transfer PPs automatically if there is a scenario event to do so, but some scenarios have odd behaviour. F12 allows you to make adjustments when the scenario starts going wrong, which is easier than trying to edit scenario events, with a rubbish editor.

Sorry about the inbox, making space ASAP.

Have limited internet here and maybe a delay.

akos01

Post by akos01 »

I read sTimulate instead of simulate :D And I thought tampering with the PP levels is able to trigger PP transfer events.

I sent PM. I can't see it in the sent folder, but got the OK notice. Hope it arrived.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

I read sTimulate instead of simulate :D And I thought tampering with the PP levels is able to trigger PP transfer events.

I sent PM. I can't see it in the sent folder, but got the OK notice. Hope it arrived.

Got your PM and will be in contact when I get back, to access the desktop containing the main folders and have a better internet connection.[:)]

Return to “Time of Fury”