Amphibious Invasion

Time of Fury spans the whole war in Europe and gives players the opportunity to control all types of units, ground, air and naval. Not only that, each player will be able to pick a single country or selection of countries and fight his way against either the AI or in multiplayer in hotseat or Play by E-Mail. This innovative multiplayer feature will give player the chance to fight bigger scenarios against many opponents, giving the game a strategic angle that has no equal in the market. The game uses Slitherine’s revolutionary PBEM++ server system.

Moderator: doomtrader

parmenio

Amphibious Invasion

Post by parmenio »

So, I thought it was a good idea to work through the supplied scenarios in size order beginning with Fall Weiss.

I picked Overlord as the next one in the list and obviously I'm faced with the need to invade France (Doh!).

Unfortunately, I've found the manual less than helpful in this regard (piss-poor is the actual expression I'm looking for here).

Anyone have any info in this area? I.e. how I conduct one?

As an aside I've seen references to a "strategy guide". Is it available anywhere (however minimal it might be)?

Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
gwgardner

RE: Amphibious Invasion

Post by gwgardner »

Amphibious assault occurs much the same way as sea transport, with a few twists.

1) You need amphibious transport points rather than sea transport;

2) It costs varying numbers of amphibious points for moving differing types of units, example 1 for a division, 3 for a corps, 6 for a tank corps, and so on (don't quote me on the exact costs);

3) load the unit on the amphibious transport at a port, or next to a port (I think);

4) next turn you can move the amphibious transport to or towards the sea zone adjacent to the beaches to be assaulted;

5) next turn AFTER arriving at the assault sea zone, you can do the assault;

6) One of those undocumented F keys shows which coastal hexes can be targets for assault;

7) When you execute the assault it the game will clearly mark where you can assault from that sea zone.

If you look back in the forums, I recently did a write-up on a test case for SeaLion. Also, rasputitsa did a writeup I think a few years ago, concerning house rules for an amphibious assault, incorporating realistic planning and logistics.

If I were you, I would try out the amphibious assault system in a test scenario before doing it in a scenario you want to complete, just to get the mechanics down.

If I recall correctly, players have complained about the overlord scenario, either they didn't understand the amphibious system or it had a CTD.

Whenever you are willing and able, hit me up for a PBEM game.

parmenio

Post by parmenio »

Thanks muchly! Just what I was looking for.

That was my issue with Overlord - I didn't have a clue where to start.
This game comes across as a real gem; my frustration lies with the documentation as I'm trawling through the forums posts looking for the hidden nuggets of information. I've decided I need to put together a document that details all of this missing info.

Weirdly enough, the only CTDs I've had have been me dicking around with the game files.

I suspect it'll be a while before I'm up for a PBEM :-)

Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

F9 shows the beach-head hexes, F10 shows air superiority, which should be green if you want to succeed in an amphibious invasion, orange, or worse red, will mean your air missions will be intercepted. Move more fighter units into range to change the air-superiority into your favour.
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: parmenio

Thanks muchly! Just what I was looking for.

That was my issue with Overlord - I didn't have a clue where to start.
This game comes across as a real gem; my frustration lies with the documentation as I'm trawling through the forums posts looking for the hidden nuggets of information. I've decided I need to put together a document that details all of this missing info.

Weirdly enough, the only CTDs I've had have been me dicking around with the game files.

I suspect it'll be a while before I'm up for a PBEM :-)

It is a gem, but sometimes frustrating in the hidden bugs, or odd scenario design, most of which can be fixed. Game files can be edited, for instance I have just been adding the Lion class 16" battleships to my RN, as a 'what-if' for early rearmament. Also the Graf Spee and Langsdorff, as a commander, is back in my 'Fall Gelb', assuming Langsdorff took the correct action at the River Plate and ran at full speed, picking off the lighter cruisers as they chased. Minor tinkering with the game, but adds variation.[:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

Return to “Time of Fury”