Hotkeys

Time of Fury spans the whole war in Europe and gives players the opportunity to control all types of units, ground, air and naval. Not only that, each player will be able to pick a single country or selection of countries and fight his way against either the AI or in multiplayer in hotseat or Play by E-Mail. This innovative multiplayer feature will give player the chance to fight bigger scenarios against many opponents, giving the game a strategic angle that has no equal in the market. The game uses Slitherine’s revolutionary PBEM++ server system.

Moderator: doomtrader

parmenio

Hotkeys

Post by parmenio »

Is there a definitive list somewhere?

I've just discovered an Air Superiority view is available via F10.

I can't find that in the manual and it doesn't appear on the Info Panel either.

(I'm already aware of F12/Shift+F12)
Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
terminator

RE: Hotkeys

Post by terminator »

Here it is :
Attachments
Manuals.jpg
Manuals.jpg (20.92 KiB) Viewed 390 times
parmenio

Post by parmenio »

ORIGINAL: terminator

Here it is :

Actually, there it isn't. As I already said it ain't in the manual...
...oh hotkeys are certainly mentioned but neither F10 or the F12/Shift+F12 combo are in there.

Which has already led me to wonder what other things are missing.

Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

No definitive list that I know of. As patches were done, new things introduced, they were not necessarily documented.

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i'll see if there's anything that can be done or if it has been and maybe not mentioned here or anywhere, as there will be a list, just finding it maybe the issue[&o]

Code: Select all

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/303910/manuals/TOF-Manual-%5BEBOOK%5D.pdf?t=1436192840

Code: Select all

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/401/downloads/

just looking and updating links atm
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

The hot keys listed in on-screen info panel button 'Open Hotkeys Screen' is about as good as it gets, AFAIK any additions in later versions were never documented.

F12 is the very useful control, but never documented.

There was a change with STEAM version 1.06, when keys were exchanged and what looks like a hex supply level overlay (something like the air-superiority overlay) was introduced, but I don't have the STEAM version with me to check.

I don't use v1.06 generally, because of the incorrect application of the 'armor in city' combat odds modifier, sticking with v1.05, so I don't know if any other new features were introduced.

I don't think there is much else, or it would have come up on the forum.
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
parmenio

Post by parmenio »

Thanks for the response.

Not quite sure what you mean by "keys were exchanged"?

I'm aware that the Steam version uses Shift + F12 rather than F12.

Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Used to be F11 in previous versions, if I recall correctly.

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: parmenio

Thanks for the response.

Not quite sure what you mean by "keys were exchanged"?

I'm aware that the Steam version uses Shift + F12 rather than F12.

I haven't got my STEAM v1.06 running because of the error in applying the 'armor in city' combat modifier, which is supposed to cut armoured units to 50% when fighting in a city, but v1.06 applies this modifier even when not in a city, so I am using v1.05.

I cannot check this right now, but I think the F12 hot key (which is very useful in controlling the game) has been re-allocated in v1.06 to a hex supply level overlay and the Shift-F12 now provides the access to the old F12 features. However, this is from memory and I haven't used v1.06 for some time.

The game has quirks where sometimes the national PP levels slumps for no apparent reason, this can be corrected in F12. F12 allows countries to be taken in and out of AI control, which is useful in managing minor allies.

F12 can also be used to modify the game, for instance to provide the extra PPs to bring a ship, or unit into the games without having to modify game files using F12 (or Shift-F12 in v1.06). I have a procedure to bring German and Italian aircraft carriers into the game as a what-if option. F12 is called a 'cheat' key, but it does allow you to manage and change the game for a better balance and fix anomalies which would otherwise trash a game.

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

parmenio

Post by parmenio »

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

Used to be F11 in previous versions, if I recall correctly.

F11 does something in 1.06 - I'm just not quite sure what [:(]
Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
parmenio

Post by parmenio »

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

I haven't got my STEAM v1.06 running because of the error in applying the 'armor in city' combat modifier, which is supposed to cut armoured units to 50% when fighting in a city, but v1.06 applies this modifier even when not in a city, so I am using v1.05.

How can I see this issue? I started up a new Lightning War scenario and set up an attack on a Polish Infantry unit wit a German Panzer unit.

They are both on "Plain" hexes and I can't see any modifier being applied to my attacking unit at all.

This is on Matrix 1.06 rather than Steam....

Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

How can I see this issue? I started up a new Lightning War scenario and set up an attack on a Polish Infantry unit wit a German Panzer unit.

They are both on "Plain" hexes and I can't see any modifier being applied to my attacking unit at all.

As you can see from the other thread, the Matrix v1.06 came as a surprise to everyone, the last Matrix official update with installer was v1.04, as is shown in the Matrix Members area where it is still sitting. Doomtrader of 'Wastelands' posted a self install v1.05 on the forum, which is as far as it went, until the STEAM v1.06 appeared.

I am playing 'catch-up', so at the moment you are ahead in the game, but I will try out the Matrix v1.06 and see how it runs. [:)]

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

This is how it should work. the German panzer unit is attacking a Polish infantry unit which is in a city. Mouse-over the % figures in the attack, or defence modifiers, to get a fly-out showing which modifiers are being applied and by how much. The 'Armored in city' is showing as 50%, which is standard (the figures can be modified) and correctly applied in this case (v1.05).

STEAM v1.06 was showing the 'armor in city' modifier when there was no city, but the new v1.06 will have to be checked.

This is reducing the power of the armoured attack by 50% to fight in a city, there are other reductions in this case, for 'weather' (it's raining in the combat hex) and 'directions' (no other friendly units are adjacent for support). These modifiers, including the set of defender modifiers (lower in the info box) provide the final combat odds. All of these modifiers can be edited in text files to produce different effects, as for instance the Germans had no problem taking cities in the early days (you could edit a reduction of 'armor in city' effect), but later cities became death traps (edit increase).

These modifiers are multiples, 100% = 1, which as a multiplier means 'no effect'.

Note that this fly-out is for attack modifiers, there is another 'armor' modifier at the top of the list, which is applied when infantry units attack armoured units, not applicable here because the attacker is a Pz unit, so shows 100% = 1 = neural, no effect. The stock setting for 'armor' is 0.9, so if infantry attacks armour its attack strength will be reduced to 90%, but other additional modifiers may apply. This a separate feature from 'armor in city' and seems OK.
Attachments
Attack.jpg
Attack.jpg (138.05 KiB) Viewed 391 times

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

This is Matrix v1.06 and it appears to be the same as the STEAM v1.06, the signature being that divisions are called corps in the info box, corps are called armies, not drastic, but irritating that each update to fix problems seems to introduce new ones, that weren't there in earlier versions.

This image (now v1.06) shows the fly-out for defender combat modifiers and the 'armor in city' !! attack !! modifier is being applied incorrectly :

There is no city, but the Polish infantry unit is attacking a German armoured unit and the 'armor in city' factor is being applied as a defender modifier, reducing the panzer unit by 50%. It won't make much difference now, but will be crippling in Russia against bigger units, with all armoured units defending against all attacks (city, or not) at only 50%, or less. Ouch !!!

In the image, when all the defender modifiers have been applied, the German PzK is defending with 30% of its strength, the Polish unit is attacking at 65%, after all attacker modifiers have been applied.

The 'armour in city' modifier can be edited in the 'consts.ini' file to be 100% (e.g. neutral) and remove the 'armor in city' effect entirely.

This text is in the game folder --- data/scenarios/choose scenario name/consts --- and can be edited in 'Excel', or 'Notepad'. There is a whole world of modifications, which can transform the game, in these and other files.

[LandCombatAttackerModifiers]
NoPanzersVsPanzers = 0.9
1DirectionAttack = 0.9
2DirectionAttack = 1.1
3DirectionAttack = 1.35
4DirectionAttack = 1.55
5DirectionAttack = 1.8
6DirectionAttack = 2
RiverPenalty = 0.75
PercentagePenaltyForEachFortLevel = 9
PercentageOverrunLossesForAttackers = 2
ArmoredCityModifier = 0.5 ----------------------------(edit to 1.0 - neutralises this effect)

There is another set of text providing modifiers for defenders, which doesn't include the 'armor in city' and, as it is an attack modifier, it should not be appearing in the defender calculations.

Additionally, each nation has its own -- consts -- file, where selective modifications can be made, but most of this is in past discussion threads (Set 'All Topics' at the top of the forum to see older threads - it's been a while).

From experience with the STEAM v1.06, this version is more stable, but there may be more errors introduced which haven't become apparent yet. Live with the errors, or edit it out, but avoid some CTDs. Stay with v1.05, have the full combat modifiers, risk CTDs.

Worth noting that the defending panzer unit is receiving a 'Friendly Units' bonus from the adjacent German Pz Div., this is a nice feature in the game which applies to all units in the same faction. An Italian unit would supply the same support, in a game where each nation moves individually, this is one case where they can co-operate.

Conclusion - 'armor in city' is being applied as BOTH an attacker modifier for armoured units, which is correct and as a defender modifier working against armoured units, which is wrong. The fix is to edit -consts.ini- text to remove the 'armor in city' effect.

The ToF experience lives on, it's a great ride, full of surprises. [:)]
Attachments
arm3.jpg
arm3.jpg (112.87 KiB) Viewed 391 times

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Here is another twist and it's going to get complicated, although 'armor in city' is an attack modifier, in v1.05 is does also act as a defender modifier when an armoured unit is defending in city, whether the attacker is infantry, or armour. The twist is that the defending tank unit gets the penalty, not the attackers trying to break into a city. So this problem has been in the game for some time, not as a critical error, but only affecting a few combats, but with v1.06 it has grown into a monster.[X(]

Obviously it is best to defend cities with infantry, which makes sense, but there is no reason why a defending tank should be at a disadvantage against an attacking tank in a city, but it is not a big deal in v1.05.

The exception is the modifiers work correctly for attacks by Polish units, armoured units on BOTH sides suffer the 'armor in city' modifier IF it's the Polish armoured unit attacking. Poland is nation (1) in the countries list and it doesn't look like this modifier effect goes any further down the list. I think I have tried to solve this before by placing modified attack and defend modifiers directly into each nations' 'consts.ini' file, thus by-passing the broken main 'consts.ini' file and it worked for terrain effects, where again only Poland had the effects working. However, some edits and 'armor in city' I think was one of them, do not stick, the edited text disappears with the next game save.

v1.06 has the same problem that the other versions had in that terrain defending combat effects are only applied when Poland defends and not for any other country, but this is an easy fix on each national 'consts.ini' file which holds after game save.

Fall Weiss is a small scenario, useful for checking out the game, but because Poland (country No. 1 in the nations list) doesn't have the problems, it can be misleading.

I am sorry if this is getting brain-numbing, but after a while delving into the files it begins to make sense. Most problems have a work-around, some that can't be fixed are not necessarily game breakers. [;)]

parmenio

Post by parmenio »

Many thanks for taking a look. That's cleared things up no end...

From experience with the STEAM v1.06, this version is more stable, but there may be more errors introduced which haven't become apparent yet. Live with the errors, or edit it out, but avoid some CTDs. Stay with v1.05, have the full combat modifiers, risk CTDs.

The above appears to be key. I have both versions (Steam and non-Steam installed on my laptop), so I will downgrade the non-Steam version to 1.05 and see how many CTDs I end up with.

It may end up that I find the crashes more frustrating than anything else.

Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer

Return to “Time of Fury”