The Possibility of Player-made Mega Campaigns?

Discuss likes and dislikes, get help and talk about MC tactics, AAR's, etc

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

The Almighty Turtle

The Possibility of Player-made Mega Campaigns?

Post by The Almighty Turtle »

Ok than, I have noticed that the Megacamps have been discontinued. However, in between having the lively debate with KG Erwin and working on Going Home (Greek Campaign 1943, for more details see Developer's corner at SPWAW Depot), I made a minor "discovery."

I think I managed to swap a MegaCamp scenario into the main scenario archive, and vice versa.

Now, this may seem pathetic, and it probably is, knowing me[:D], but this opens up a new possibility: Players creating their own MCs via this system.

Naturally, I realize there are far more complicated factors involved, such as auto-repair/upgrade. However, this is a basic step here.

I might create a small one-scenario "MC" to test this. I may be a quack at mapmaking, but I think I can toss together a small scenario (or, failing that, "borrow" one, no offense to anybody!)

Needless to say, it would be VERY basic, like one battle (and nothing like Supercharge, the Maximum Effort, as much as I do enjoy it), with some simple variation to the scenario that is triggered via the choices.

Hopeless dreaming? Likely, that is true. However, if it does work, than think of the results.

Now, in case any of you are thinking about this, I must say that I will NEVER condone software piracy. If I see a single pirated copy of Lost Victories, Screaming Eagles, or the like on the web, I will report your arse to whoever will listen. I respect intellectual property, and the practice of it. This is meant to open up the creation of new, non-official MCs, not create a batch of leeching pirates trading Matrix's lifeblood away.

Now, that being said, I will eagerly look forward to trying it, and am receptive to feedback. Call me up if I am violating some law in doing this, or to offer encouragement or criticism.

I was thinking of maybe the Slovak-Hungarian War as a base (low-intensity, small number of combatants, etc) as a base for this one-scenario test MC.

Any takers?
The Almighty Turtle

RE: The Possibility of Player-made Mega Campaigns?

Post by The Almighty Turtle »

Ok, I have previously mentioned my attempts to find a way to create unofficial Mega Campaigns, and I think I have a breakthrough.

By renaming scenario files, and copying text files to be named like those in the MCs, I have created the (very) basic framework for a one-scenario Mega Campaign.

It takes place during the Slovak-Hungarian War, and is very short and bare-bottom. Its main goal is to find out if this method I stumbled upon works.

However, I cannot even see the thing on the MC menu, and several things are missing. I would love to try to make them, but due to time limits and Real Life (and the fact that I doubt I could replicate the needed files if my life depended on it) I am turning it over to the Depot to see if anyone can help put the final touches on it.

I have used the Zavadka map (which is not mine), and have designed the scenario, and the text docs for it here. However, everything else is missing.

So, try it if you care to, especially those who have worked on the first MCs, and what I am missing here.

So, good luck, and think about the results if this can actually be pulled off.

And Note: I DO NOT encourage, in any way, shape, or form, software piracy. Any uploading of Screaming Eagles, Lost Victories, or the others WILL be reported, and I will not have any pity for you. This is my own "work," for the most part, and is a purely free enterprise not related to Matrix.

My goals are to, if possible, make unofficial Mega campaigns, and NOT create the possibility of slimebag pirates mucking with the first four, Matrix sponsored ones.

So, that being said, good Hunting!

You can find the files on SPWAW Depot
FlashfyreSP

RE: The Possibility of Player-made Mega Campaigns?

Post by FlashfyreSP »

You can, if you are so inclined, copy out all the "scenarios" from any MegaCampaign and rename them to the standard SCEN format, then put them in the SCEN folder and do with them what you will: play them individually, edit them, etc. You can even replace them into the MC system, as long as you rename them to the original format. What you CAN'T do, however, is build a new campaign structure; sure, you can "replace" all the images and texts, but the campaign will still follow the same "outline flow" as the original. The MegaCampaign editing system is copyrighted by Matrix Games, and is not available for the public at large to use. Reason: the MCs are the only way Matrix Games is able to profit from the Steel Panthers franchise. They cannot sell the game itself, but they CAN sell an add-on program of their own design.

Be very careful in what you do with the MegaCampaigns...you could be opening up a legal can-o-worms.
ImageImage

Return to “Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW”