Goblin vs. Belisarius - episode II

With over 7000 threads, a lot great material lies buried in the Darkest Reaches. These represent what the community has agreed are some of the best SP:WaW threads to date.

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Goblin

Post by Goblin »

If the Commies only knew....

My empty off-board arty is counter-batterying his loaded off-board! I think the crews are using rocks and nails and such. I only have a single battery of German guns, and they are probably the ones doing it!:D

Goblin- A Goblin checked; the bag's empty
Belisarius

What went wrong?

Post by Belisarius »

Alright, so I surrendered. Maybe a bit too prematurely. :(

Goblins tanks had broken through the center and south flanks. I had not anything left to stop them. (ONE tank operational! ONE!! :mad: ) My infantry had already proven their inability to do anyting useful.

I could have deployed with a more layered defense, but honestly I wasn't expecting having to fight behind my line. Many things considered, I should have been the one moving forward. So what went wrong?

1) First and foremost, my T-34s sucked utterly. I have NEVER seen companies fight that bad, being toasted that easily or routed by FCKING KUBELWAGENS! :mad: I had planned to break through in the south, and all that had to be abandoned by turn 5 or so. They had by then not encountered any tanks or ATs. Just recon troops and artillery :mad:

2) Poor deployment of troops. The weather slowed everyting down so no powerful push could be performed. They ended up getting stuck on each other, and no-one even considered firing back at the tanks. (which, OTOH, the Munte's proved excellent at)

3)Goblin artillery. The large amount of M35 60mm did a good job of suppressing the central infantry, so they didn't fight back once goblin's tanks reached the center ridge. I really tried to move them backwards but couldn't. Morale sucks!

4)My partisans all showed up in scattered groups and was dispersed before the others showed up due to Goblin's nicely placed recon troops (cavalry - fast!) in his back area.

5)Reinforced with even more suckety-suck infantry (guards, but what did that help?) I should have taken AT's. Lots of 'em. :rolleyes:

I think we both tried to outflank each other initially, it all ended in the slaughter up north and down south. My artillery performed admirably considered the areas I targeted. Maybe I should have gone for the enemy onboards more, but they did cause great casualties among the enemy infantry.

So, I had quite alot of (suppressed) infantry left, and Goblin's wasn't going anywhere soon, but with his tanks in my rear I don't think I had anything to counter with. Except artillery :D

Ohyeah, Goblin my password was: Tripod :p
Got StuG?
Belisarius

Soviet OOB

Post by Belisarius »

1 Soviet HQ

3 T-34 m.41 coys

3 Rifle coys

2 Paratrooper coys (good choice, they move faster)

2 Partisan groups

1 Partisan sappers

2 Motorcycle coys

4 SPAA platoons. (Quads on GAZ trucks)

2 KV-1 coys

4 FO

1 152mm btn

1 Hvy mortar bty

3 Ammo dumps

1 Hvy MG sect.

Reinforcements:

1 152 mm btn

1 120 mm bty

3 Guards mot. plt. (hey, they had to get to the front FAST)

LOSSES: (German - Soviet)

Men: 400 - 830

Artillery: 0 - 5

Softs: 11 - 0 (Kubelwagens...)

AFVs: 15 - 34 (says it all...)
Got StuG?
Don Doom

Post by Don Doom »

Goblin : does this battle sound familiar to you!:p
Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

Belisarius,

You just described a usual Red Army Attack.

Now this is the part where they would send 7 more just like it a break through.
Congrats you a real Soviet General now!

LOL

Im playing Goblin as the Soviets right now and Ill try to avenge you against the green one
Don Doom

Belisarius

Post by Don Doom »

I will try to flatten Goblin for you also as I am playing agaist him and m4[RL]. I shell do my damest to make Goblin pay back all the money he took from the russian goverment!:D :p :p :D ;)
Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

German/Rumanian OOB:

6- Companies Rumanian Mountain Infantry
3- Companies Rumanian Cavalry
3- Platoons Rumanian M35 47mm ATG's
1- Medium Tank Company (6 IVF2's and 15 IIIL's)
4- Rumanian Ammo Dumps
2- Rumanian 120mm Mortar Platoons
2- Rumanian 81mm Mortar Platoons
1- Rumanian 105mm Howitzer Battalion
1- Rumanian 150mm Howitzer Battery
3- Rumanian FO's (German Scouts called fire faster- Not Joking!)
2- Rumanian Scout Groups (10- 2 man teams each)

I called in:

1- StuG40 ausf F Battery
3- German Recon Platoons
1- Ammo Dump
1- Kuebelwagen MG Platoon
3- Kuebelwagen Platoons
1- German 150mm Howitzer Battery

Bel summed up the fight pretty well. The south flank was where I came on pretty hard, with a decent push on the north to keep the south from being reinforced. I ended up trying to move all along the front, just to move anything at all. My armor generally would rally (German) while my infantry would look at me blankly, then pick their noses. I just had alot of it, so if Bel's guns shifted off of them for a turn or two, I could slip forward a hex. Most of my casualties were from those 152's. They are brutal! Excellent game, Bel! Thanks.

Goblin- A Goblin hates Rumanian equipment;)
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

Goblin points out a problem both of us were facing: Once the infantry got pinned by artillery, we could abandon all plans for a coordinated attack. I really wished to concentrate my attack on one sector but I ended up moving whatever units I could... the result was more of a slow stumbling than a deliberate push.

Thanks Goblin! I had a great time all the way to the bitter end! :D

Oh yeah - In the OOB: Where are those 60mm mortars that pounded me all the time? :p

And I think I picked up a thing or two - still have plenty to learn facing carbon-based opposition instead of silicon-based AI's. ;)

Fallschirmsjäger and Doom - Heh, great! Kill the snotlings! I'll follow the battles with enthusiasm. :)
Got StuG?
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

Those 60's are included in the Munte Companies. I never list separate units in the companies, otherwise I would be typing all day! They are really cheap, and hugely effective, with a range of 36 IIRC.

Goblin- A Goblin had loads of fun!:D
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

Bel, clean your PM boxes out, so I can PM you.
Belisarius

Whoops!

Post by Belisarius »

Originally posted by Goblin
Bel, clean your PM boxes out, so I can PM you.
It's all been taken care of! Thanks for the heads-up! :D
Got StuG?
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

So that everyone knows....

I just informed Bel that I may have overspent a coupla hundred on arty! Maybe not, but it depends on our start points...

Goblin- A Goblin cheated?:confused:
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

Originally posted by Goblin
So that everyone knows....

I just informed Bel that I may have overspent a coupla hundred on arty! Maybe not, but it depends on our start points...

Goblin- A Goblin cheated?:confused:
We'll see about that. ;)

I pointed out to Goblin that I called in ALOT of artillery as reinforcements, so I might have overdone it as well. :p

With reinforcements, total troop cost was ~8000 points. I think my arty totalled around 1400 of those, which would make it above our 15% limit.
Got StuG?

Return to “SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame”