AAR v1.04 Italian Campaign Axis/Allies AI

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.
Rasputitsa

RE: AAR v1.04 Italian Campaign Axis/Allies AI

Post by Rasputitsa »

Turn 34, 01 February 1944 – Weather Snow - air operations possible

Reports :

Allied GBR 4th ARM Bde. withdrawn from theatre, part of 7th ARM Div., preparing for OVERLORD I guess.

CDN 5th ARM Bde. has arrived at MESSINA.

As expected, GER 4th FsJ arrives in theatre at 13,20, but will I have the fuel to move them. Hex 13,20 turns out to be in the hills near Lake Trasimeno, which is closer to ROME, but not on any roads.

Infantry replacements (48), still no PZ / MOT, or FsJ replacements.
Fuel (40) / Combat Supply (6), so the last priority slider change has produced slightly more 'combat supply', but now will I have enough fuel.

Weather remains snow, but some rain would help to ground the Allied air power, some hope, as Axis air power remains a big fat 0%.

At FOGGIA, GER 334th got away and some of the disruption is easing, now only (3), whilst back by FOGGIA the 305th INF beat off another Allied attack, despite the usual Allied air ground support (7/7). I was beginning to think that fortification had little effect, but it seems to have worked here. Despite higher Allied unit efficiency (305th is a low quality unit), better Allied combat supply (Allies near full supply – 305th is at standard supply) and added Allied air support, the final strength odds where only 12 : 9 against, but 305th INF held without loss and minor disruption. So a good result so far, now can I get 305th away from FOGGIA.

Purchased (1) fortification point.

On the SALERNO front the Allies have closed up, but no attack was possible, so can I continue the withdrawal.

In the West the reinforcing 5th MTN Div. will be near CAPUA next turn, whilst in the East 44th INF has reached TERMOLI and nearly in position.

US Rangers at FOGGIA are nearly finished, with 82nd ABN at less than half strength, GBR 46th Div. not much better off and maybe 305th INF can hold longer ?

The AI is burning up its elite units trying to take FOGGIA, just like me, it won't have many elite replacements, so bring it on.

Combat Supply given to 305th INF, let's see what the AI has, how bad does it want FOGGIA ? It has the CDN 1st and IND 8th INF Divs. in the centre, which way will they go ?

I'll leave 334th INF resting as a link for 305th at FOGGIA, then move it back later to stack with 26th PZ on the coast road behind the River Fortore.

All of these actions can be reversed, as in PFE, the player's turn is mainly planning and apart from allocating replacements, which are instantaneous, all other actions can be changed right up until selecting 'Next Phase' to end the turn.

Almost out of everything again, Fuel (7) and Combat Supply (1), but I will carry those over to the next turn.

Looking ahead, the level of hex 'General Supply', as shown in the 'Supply Overlay', is not good on the Eastern parts of the front-line, even coming from NAPLES. When I lose NAPLES and if it is still snowing, the hex Supply which will have to come from ROME will be even worse and it may not be possible to continue to hold this far South.

I have a bad feeling about this !

This may require a further withdrawal to CASSINO, where the supply overlay shows hex supply levels from ROME as being much better and is probably a more viable defence line. The 'Catch 22' is that the longer I hold where I am, the less fuel I will have to make the move back, when it becomes necessary.

Screening NAPLES becomes more vital the longer the bad weather continues and it's now only February, surely I cannot hold this line till spring and with the rain, when it comes, will it be any better ?

So the bad weather is helping me hold, but is it also tightening the noose ?

Meanwhile, scanning the map and see that US 1st ARM Div. has arrived near the coast road South of SALERNO .... !

Ouch, that's going to hurt, the weight bearing down on the SALERNO mountain position is becoming overwhelming.

US 36th 'T' Texas Div. has taken to the mountains, but is heavily depleted, meanwhile the 34th 'Red Bull' Div. is in better condition and following. Even with this pressure mounting I think GER 94th INF can hold the mountain hex, but the flanks cannot hold and the 1st FsJ and 29th MOT cannot stay.

Looking at the Axis line across the mountains at SALERNO and the small triangle in the top right corner of each unit icon, 1st FsJ has a green triangle, as an 'elite' unit should move first and be able to 'withdraw', escaping the Allies, 29th MOT has a yellow triangle, as a 'high' quality unit has a good chance of moving first, 94th INF red triangle, 'average' quality, may not get to move first and may face attack whilst withdrawing.

GER 29th MOT given 'withdrawal' to AVELLINO to try and avoid attack from the facing Allied stack of US 45th INF and GBR Commandos, as 29th MOT is below half strength (5) and not able to withstand the x3 strength points (combined 17) of the Allied attack and the air support that will come with it.

So again with great apprehension select 'Next Phase'.

Attachments
Turn 34 Su..ituation.jpg
Turn 34 Su..ituation.jpg (569.27 KiB) Viewed 183 times
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Turn 35, 07th February 1944 – Weather Snow - air operations possible

Fuel (42) / Combat Supply (5)

Replacements... INF (48), PZ / MOT and FsJ (0)

I haven't been notified by message of any Allied landings, but checking the map for new beach-head symbols, just in case.

The Allies have attacked near FOGGIA again, with the two British divisions, 46th and 56th INF and the same air support (7/7), but not using the valuable 'elite' US 82nd ABN. This time I took a loss (1) and some disruption (2), but the position held.

US 88th INF Div. arriving at MESSINA is reported, another Allied unit that could be part of a landing in the better weather.

Newly arrived GER 4th FsJ Div, is moved out of the hills and onto the road at FOLIGNO, so that it can be moved onward later, but it will need 'combat supply' to be of any use. It's worth noting that this is not an 'elite' unit like the other FsJs, showing only as 'average' quality. I still have the other three infantry divisions further North, which I cannot move, due to lack of fuel.

The AI Allies attacked the position held by the GER 29th MOT with an overwhelming stack of the US 45th, 36th INF Divs. and the GBR Commandos, but the Axis unit withdrew first, before the blow could fall on an empty hex.

FOW is hiding the strength of US 1st ARM Div., but with US 34th INF at (14) in the stack, it is way to powerful for 1st FsJ to be able to stop them.

The Allies are closing in at SALERNO, GBR 23rd ARM Bde. has arrived, stacked with GBR 78th INF Div. to join in the advance, time for me to go, but I think that I can hold near FOGGIA for a little longer, as the AI is concentrating in the West. Added 'combat supply' (3) to 305th INF near FOGGIA, as the longer this holds, the longer that I can keep the heat off the line on the River Fortore, which is not ready yet.

IND 8th Div. has blocked the direct road from NAPLES to FOGGIA and supply must route through CAPUA and the TERMOLI area.

Remaining 'combat supply' (2) used to purchase a Fortification (1) point.

GER 5th MTN moved into position on the CAPUA line, now waiting for 'fortification' and 'combat supply' points to be available.

Herman Goering MOT, in the centre, will withdraw eventually into a reserve position at the cross-roads in the lateral road system.

I worry that I am burning up 'combat supply' in holding FOGGIA, in order to delay the attack on the Fortore Line, but that leaves little 'combat supply' to prepare that Line and anyway, as soon as NAPLES is lost, the hex supply levels at the Line with plummet, as supply will then have to come from ROME and it might become instantly untenable. Unless the weather improves, some hope !

As well as watching Fuel and Combat Supply coming into the theatre, I must now watch hex supply distribution on the map (Supply Overlay), as control of vital roads may be lost, extending supply lines. IND 8th Div. has cut the direct road link from NAPLES to FOGGIA and now supply must route through CAPUA, or cross-country. If the CAPUA road is cut, then the next cross route is via ISERNIA and VASTO, so hex supply levels are likely to drop, especially in this winter weather. It burns more fuel to deliver to the units the Fuel and Combat Supply they need.

Checked 'Reinforcement Status' panel for unit 'Withdrawals' and 'Arrivals'.

In 6 turns, two PZ GR Bdes. will arrive
In 10 turns, SS 1st Sturmbrigade is to be exchanged with SS WG Bde.

Ordered a general withdraw from the mountain position near SALERNO, although I am sure that 94th INF could hold in the mountain hex, 1st FsJ and 29th MOT Divs. will be destroyed if they stay in position. I fear that if I lose NAPLES the whole defence line in this zone is likely to collapse, through lack of hex supply coverage from the alternative supply centre at ROME.

I am giving up a lot, but I see no alternative right now, with the strength of Allied units massed in the SALERNO area. The AI is outflanking the defended mountain hex (94th INF) on both sides, each with a stack totalling stack value (9), almost the maximum that can be sent against the hexes defended by 1st FsJ and 29th MOT Divs., which are both at less than half strength. The only way out is withdrawal, or destruction.

I use the last of the available fuel this turn to get GER 715 INF moving towards FLORENCE, now only (3) Fuel points to carry over into the next turn, I am really running on fumes.

I hate giving up ground without a fight, but I cannot risk the casualties to units that have no 'elite' replacements.

So again with apprehension select 'Next Phase' to see what happens.

Attachments
Turn 35 zz..Arrivals.jpg
Turn 35 zz..Arrivals.jpg (615.32 KiB) Viewed 183 times

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Turn 36, 13th February 1944 – Weather Snow - air operations possible

I watch the turn resolution and see the 1st FsJ and 29th MOT successfully 'withdraw', as expected for 'Elite' and 'Good' quality units. The Allies again launched an attack on 29th MOT's position to find it empty.

GER 94th INF, as an 'average' quality unit, did not move fast enough and was caught by an attack from US 45th INF, losing (2) strength points. I had managed to build up 94th INF into full 'combat supply', or it would have been much worse. Allied air ground support 4/4.

The Allies also attack the rearguard GER 305th INF holding out near FOGGIA, which inflicts greater loss on the two British infantry divisions, despite Allied air support at 5/5.

The Allied AI launched nearly all its air power (9) in 'ground support', divided between the two battles.

Fuel (45) / Combat Supply (5) – Still no Axis airpower.

Ordered the move of 4th FsJ Div. on the road to ROME and 715th INF ordered closer to the front, but may have to cancel that, as I might need the fuel elsewhere.

In both attacks (SALERNO and FOGGIA) the Axis units held their ground, which at FOGGIA is good, but at SALERNO this is bad, because 94th INF was unable to 'withdraw' and is still in its mountain position, whilst the Allies have taken SALERNO and AVELLINO on both flanks and the 94th is being trapped, as it no longer has a 'withdrawal' option available.

Worth noting that, at FOGGIA, the AI did not use either of the 'elite' units (Rangers, or Airborne) which were available, I guess because it doesn't have the replacements for these units, just like me.

Strangely I cannot get the 94th INF out of the mountain hex, but I can get replacements and combat supply in !!

The hex which could be used for 94th INF to 'withdraw' is still under Axis control, but I cannot select a move into it, so I guess it is a ZOC issue.

Looking at the attack on 29th MOT's empty position, to see that it was carried out by GBR Commandos, strength (4), and the depleted US 36th INF, strength (6), and maybe having full 'combat supply', the 29th could have probably beaten off the attack, if it had stayed in position, but that is now hindsight.

Meanwhile 94th INF is trapped on the mountain hex and another situation where the 'disband' option, as an escape, is now no longer an option.

1st FsJ is still facing a big stack of Allied units and FOW has not broken to show the strength of the US 1st ARM Div., but I guess it's big.

Replacements this turn ... (54) INF, (2) PZ / MOT and (1) FsJ, Should I leave replacements in the pool to rebuild destroyed units, or use them now at the front ?

I need them now, so give (1) airborne replacement to 1st FsJ Div..

Where to put the PZ/MOT replacements, 29th MOT could now hold, or maybe even attack ?

The AI Allies have a lot of air power selected to ground support (9), I don't know what priority the AI has set. Last turn it split its ground support between SALERNO and FOGGIA, is this a chance to strike back, whilst some of the airpower is in use elsewhere ?

GER 29th MOT could be given the (2) PZ/MOT replacements and strike at the two weakened Allied units in AVELLINO, but it would still be 7:10 in strength points, so select an attack to check the loss estimate, can always be cancelled if the odds are not good.

Loss Estimate is 3:1 losses in my favour, changing to 4:2 with replacements added to 29th MOT, so the loss estimate is variable.

Decide to attack AVELLINO with 29th MOT and 94th, both given replacements and 1st FsJ 'withdrawn' to cover crossroads near NAPLES. GER 305th is still holding out near FOGGIA, which should split the Allied air allocation.

IND 4th INF Div, appears on SALERNO front.

Combat Supply given to GER 305th INF near FOGGIA, with (2) points left buy a 'Fortification' point, or else give it as combat supply to one of the units in the new defence line.

If the attack on AVELLINO succeeds in freeing 94th INF, then the units can all withdraw North into the hills and continue the pivot movement back to the new defence line. This will uncover NAPLES, but it cannot be helped.

Combat supply where ?? – given 'combat supply' to 65th INF in the centre of the Fortore line.

Fortification where ?? - allocated to digging-in 5th MTN and 278th INF Divs..

New defence line is forming, but the units are very short of 'combat supply', meanwhile the units further South need to hold off the Allies for as long as possible, so HG MOT is holding near BENEVENTO, 1st FsJ near NAPLES and 305th near FOGGIA, meanwhile let's see how 29th MOT and 94th INF can manage to extricate themselves from near SALERNO.

Fuel points remaining (11), which is only enough to move one of the divisions in the North (3) hexes, so I will save the points for the next turn.

The strategy is slowly coming together, but is this new defence line too far South and beyond reasonable supply range from ROME and should I have considered a line at CASSINO, or FROSINONE instead, I think that I am about to find out the hard way.

Moved priority slider - Fuel 20% / Combat Supply 80%, I need 'combat supply' badly, as the fighting is going to intensify.

Historically, these choices are the same facing the Axis in Russia in 1941, it wasn't that they didn't have winter clothing, but the strategic situation that they got themselves into, was that they needed munitions badly and didn't have transport room for much else.

I feel that I have got myself into a similar situation by holding this far South, there is just not enough transport/supply capacity to deliver all the Fuel/Combat Supply needed. I can have Fuel, or Combat Supply, but not enough of both at the same time.

Final decision is to withdraw HG MOT one hex back over the river into BENEVENTO, as it is facing a double stack of CDN 1st and IND 8th INF Divs., but will still cover the flank of the units fighting at AVELLINO.

The image shows the position at the end of planning, indicating where units have been ordered to go and units showing a red bar on the top of the unit counter have move orders, or other actions planned.

The information panel shows the highlighted unit - GER 305th INF Div., near FOGGIA, with the allocated 'combat supply' level (2), some disruption (4), fortified (1), efficiency (5) and movement points (7)- if I wanted to change the orders and move. No Air Priority (0) is selected, but then I have no airpower. The panel also shows the unit is in hex supply of 36% and if that falls below 25% then 'combat supply' cannot be delivered and 'disruption' would increase.

Now I can press the 'Turn' button and see what happens next.

Attachments
Turn 36 zzz Overall.jpg
Turn 36 zzz Overall.jpg (552.36 KiB) Viewed 183 times

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Turn 37, 20th February 1944 – Weather Snow - air operations possible

Disaster, the 29th MOT had a planned attack on AVELLINO to free 94th INF, but the Allies attacked first, even though the 29th is a 'high' quality unit and had to suffer an attack in overwhelming force.

1st FsJ withdraw order to near CAPUA only got as far as NAPLES, because of the pinning effect of the following Allied units and Allied air 'Interdiction' could have had some effect in slowing Axis movement.

In the mountains, the GBR 78th INF Div., attacking out of the coastal plain attempted to dislodge the GER 94th and failed, but it doesn't matter much, as the 94th looks doomed to be trapped on the mountain top.

FOGGIA position is attacked again and GER 305th continues to hold out, beating off GBR 46th and 56th INF Divs., whist defenders are suffering more disruption.

HG MOT's move back into BENEVENTO avoided the attack that the Allied units launched on the empty hex and, in this case, HG MOT also a 'high' quality unit, did move first and avoided a battle .

Report - GBR 4th INF arrived MESSINA, more Allied reinforcements.

Fuel (31) / Combat Supply (7) – No Axis airpower.

94th INF is still in supply, but does not have a 'withdrawal' option to get out of entrapment.

29th MOT has fallen back to the river by CAPUA and is heavily damaged, down to (3) strength points, with no 'Armour' replacements. Considering disbanding this unit to use the (3) points to restore other units because, as has been demonstrated, half strength Axis units cannot stand against strong Allied units in stacks.

The surprise was that the AI, after leaving US 36th INF at only (6) strength points for many turns, had boosted it back to strength (14) for the devastating attack on 29th MOT. I was lulled into a false sense of security thinking that I was facing weakened Allied units, until the AI produced the 'Ace' from its sleeve.

The AI has sent a revitalised full strength US 36th INF Div., supported by the GBR Commandos, in the same stack, and blasted straight through AVELLINO and coming out the other side to threaten the 1st FsJ Div.. The 94th INF was unable to provide the planned help, as they were simultaneously attacked by GBR 78th INF, out of the coast road, an attack which could never succeed, but did obtain its objective of diverting 94th and keeping that division pinned on the mountain.

IND 4th INF is moving to outflank FOGGIA, where 305th INF is suffering higher disruption (7) and is no longer able to exert a ZOC, so its use as a blocking unit is fading.

The 29th MOT debacle has left 1st FsJ on the coast road outflanked and they must escape, so ordered a 'withdrawal' towards CAPUA and, as they are an 'elite' unit, they should be able to move first and not be caught.

Purchased a Fortification point, but might have to reconsider that, as I also need 'combat supply' for defence. I have lost the use of two units (29th, 94th), which were to be part of the defence line and all of the reinforcing units are too far North to help, with not enough fuel to move them.

The scale of the problem is that I need (33) strength points to bring the units in the defence line up to full 'combat supply' and that does not include supplying the units waiting further North, which might have to face an Allied landing, when the weather improves.

How the AI distributed Allied airpower over this turn :

Against 305th near FOGGIA, 6/6 - against 29th, 5/5 – against 94th, 3/3, for a total of (14) air Ground Attack points and I have no answer to this.

I can't save NAPLES and its capture is now inevitable, so I will lose that supply centre and the Allies will gain NAPLES as a supply port, close to their front-line, as soon as the AI allocates the port workers and they work the port up to full unloading capacity (20). Meanwhile, I have no airpower to attack the port and reduce its capacity, so things are going from bad to worse.

I did disband 29th MOT and the (3) remaining strength points went into the 'Armour' replacement pool, which I immediately reallocated to HG MOT (1) and 26th PZ (2).

Otherwise, no PZ/MOT, or FsJ replacements, but (51) INF replacements. Meanwhile, the 29th MOT now appears in the 'Reinforcements Status' (Destroyed) list, so it could be rebuilt if ever there are enough replacements. Some hope !

The AI is not making much progress at FOGGIA, as it is reluctant to use either of the Allied 'elite' Rangers, or Airborne, and the two British divisions are not managing on their own. GER 305th INF has disruption increasing, so I could give up the position, or move 334th INF back, now that it has recovered from its own disruption, but perhaps I should have done that sooner. It is the lack of 'combat supply' again delaying things, as I can't move 334th INF back towards FOGGIA without giving 'combat supply' first. Instead, ordered 334th into position to cover the flank of 305th near FOGGIA, to stop IND 4th INF moving in and trapping 305th in a web of ZOCs.

This turn the AI has done a good job of co-ordinating attacks, to gain a good result, admittedly with the help of overwhelming ground and air forces, but a good performance after being hesitant for several previous turns. Anyway, it has left me staggering and wondering how I can respond effectively.

There is going to be a big gap in the line at CAPUA, where 29th and 94th Divs. were going to 'withdraw' into line, but now they are gone.

4th FsJ Div., from the North ordered to ROME.

Just left with Combat Supply (5) to issue now, but where ?

Even though 94th INF is trapped, it is still in good supply (70%) and I can still allocate 'combat supply' and replacements, which is odd !

However, this unit is doomed, so no point in wasting any more resources here, so air-dropping a box of Iron Crosses, Oh, I forgot, no planes !

Combat Supply (3) to 305th INF near FOGGIA and (2) for 5th MTN Div. near CAPUA.

Infantry replacement (1) for the 305th INF near FOGGIA.

Worried about HG MOT at BENEVENTO, should I pull it back into the hills, or wait a little longer to delay the Allies.

I realise that keeping units forward, in front of the defence line, to delay the Allies has been costly, but otherwise they will bust straight through.

I understand that, as Axis, I cannot win this scenario, but just trying to lose gracefully.

The above map image contains the 'Battle Report' of the revitalised US 36th INF Div., with the help of the GBR Commandos, tearing the heart out of 29th MOT, whilst the GBR 78th INF launches a spoiling attack on 94th INF in the mountains, that stopped this unit in its planned breakout to join 29th MOT, which may have evened the odds in its battle with US 36th. I had a plan, but the AI had a better plan, in co-ordinating these attacks and in a well timed allocation of replacements to the 36th.

29th MOT had avoided the attacks of the last two turns by moving first, but this time the luck ran out and 94th INF returns to its isolated mountain position, whilst the final turn resolution will show 29th MOT reeling back towards CAPUA.

Over to the East, near FOGGIA, the two British divisions are making their unsuccessful attack on the GER 305th INF, fortified outside FOGGIA. The attack still burned up more of my 'combat supply', which the Allies can probably replace more easily.

Attachments
Turn37aa..ALERNO1.jpg
Turn37aa..ALERNO1.jpg (518.31 KiB) Viewed 183 times

Return to “After Action Reports”