Some observations

Piercing Fortress Europa is a new game from veteran game designer Frank Hunter, which covers the campaigns of the Western Allies from July, 1943 through the end of April, 1945 in Sicily and Italy. Each area has its own map and time scale to best represent the campaigns for Sicily and Italy and the player is offered complete freedom, limited only by a historical order of battle and logistics model, to plan his operations and explore all of the many “what ifs” that the Italian theater has to offer.
KarlXII

Some observations

Post by KarlXII »

I like PFE and have been playing the campaign both as Allied and Axis. But there are some things not explained in the manual which I don´t understand.

- How does replacements work ? Some units in supply can get replacements and som can´t. They don´t seem to be accumulated over the turns either ?

- Can I as allied in the later part of the campaign still make amphibious invasions if I remove workers from my ports and put to the available pool ? The message at the end of the allied turn hints that.

- Sometimes supply hexes are very weak and red and the next turn they can get very high again without any enemy interferrence. I don´t know why. How can I know if how much supply my troops use ? Is it based on the stack size value ? Knowing this will let me optimise the use of troops in western and eastern part of Italy.

- I fail to see that the Axis Air Superiority setting works at all.Even though the allied have less Air Superiority I never see enemy losses from the Axis panel view.

Overall I think the A.I is pretty good on both sides. And I would love to see a sequel with an improved game engine in another setting.
Värjan måste göra det bästa, ty den skämtar intet

Been playing strategy games since 1987 and the Commodore 64 days
Rasputitsa

RE: Some observations

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: KarlXII

I like PFE and have been playing the campaign both as Allied and Axis. But there are some things not explained in the manual which I don´t understand.

- How does replacements work ? Some units in supply can get replacements and som can´t. They don´t seem to be accumulated over the turns either ?

..........Replacements show in the unit info box, whenever you select a unit, but only if replacements are available for that type of unit will the 'add replacements' button appear. However, replacements are specific and the 'add replacements' button will only appear, if the unit needs replacements and if the right type of replacements are available. Infantry/Armoured, US/British, Airborne, Commando are not interchangeable and some types and national groups are in short supply. You need to use your airborne and New Zealanders carefully as there are few replacements and you might have to wait some time before they become available.

- Can I as allied in the later part of the campaign still make amphibious invasions if I remove workers from my ports and put to the available pool ? The message at the end of the allied turn hints that.

..........As long as you have the minimum number of workers in the pool (you can transfer them from working ports) and you have air superiority (capturing FOGGIA extends your air cover North of ROME).

- Sometimes supply hexes are very weak and red and the next turn they can get very high again without any enemy interferrence. I don´t know why. How can I know if how much supply my troops use ? Is it based on the stack size value ? Knowing this will let me optimise the use of troops in western and eastern part of Italy.

..........Supply can vary with the weather, or as ports increase their capacity towards 100%, you could be shifting from beach-head supply to port supply as a captured port develops.

- I fail to see that the Axis Air Superiority setting works at all.Even though the allied have less Air Superiority I never see enemy losses from the Axis panel view.

..........I have put a 'Tech Support' comment in on Axis air superiority, which seems very unbalanced.

Overall I think the A.I is pretty good on both sides. And I would love to see a sequel with an improved game engine in another setting.

..........I would also like to see these games developed into other theatres and if you look into the 'scenarios' game folders you will see theatres beyond Italy which would be great to have, if Frank has the time to carry on with development. The more interest there is in the game, the more likely this will happen.

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Supply is a subject all of its own and their are sections of the manual describing the use of supply in movement and combat, a word search on supply should take you to the relevant sections, although it can get complicated. I have never tried to work out just how much supply is needed for any particular operation, but just monitored fuel and supply and tried to get the balance right, which cab be difficult enough.

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

KarlXII

Post by KarlXII »

Thanks for all your answers Rasputitsa! You cleared up some things for me.
Värjan måste göra det bästa, ty den skämtar intet

Been playing strategy games since 1987 and the Commodore 64 days
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

I have noticed that when NAPLES becomes fully operational it seems to provide 100% supply over most of the map, almost irrespective of terrain, which I think is too much. I have a 'house rule' to adjust the number of workers to keep NAPLES at about 50% efficiency, which give a better supply coverage. I have no data to back that up, except reading about how difficult supply was in the mountains and a gut feeling that NAPLES is too strong.

Same for TARANTO, see these threads :

tm.asp?m=4247280

tm.asp?m=4372024

I am using a series of 'house rules' to balance the game against the Axis AI.

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

I have noted house rules for PFE in other threads, but here is a copy :

This has had limited play-testing so any comments ?
Attachments
PFE House Rules.txt
(9.64 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Bump !

Return to “Piercing Fortress Europa”