Quick Question for D Day Sale

Piercing Fortress Europa is a new game from veteran game designer Frank Hunter, which covers the campaigns of the Western Allies from July, 1943 through the end of April, 1945 in Sicily and Italy. Each area has its own map and time scale to best represent the campaigns for Sicily and Italy and the player is offered complete freedom, limited only by a historical order of battle and logistics model, to plan his operations and explore all of the many “what ifs” that the Italian theater has to offer.
Delaware

Quick Question for D Day Sale

Post by Delaware »

Hello. Hoping for a quick answer before sale expires. I have War in the West but seems a bit more complicated than I wanted. Is this game less complex in terms of micromanagement but just as satisfying? I like flavor and detail but i am not obsessive! I am looking for a fun game.
Rasputitsa

RE: Quick Question for D Day Sale

Post by Rasputitsa »

The game system is set to a much simpler level of management than 'War in the West', although it covers only the invasion of Sicily and the Italian Campaign, in various scenarios of different turn duration. It is much quicker to play as you have strategic decisions to make, but these interact into potentially deeper consequences. The tactical decisions required are also limited, but add up to potentially complex outcomes, I sometimes find myself taking time working through the options, although enacting the decisions is very quick. Once you have a plan, a game turn takes very little time to enact.

The main thing to consider is that this game is WEGO, you set the movement and combat tasks, but the action is resolved simultaneously for both sides. Your opponent may not wait around to be attacked, or you may attempt to withdraw and an enemy with a higher effectiveness level may hit you before you can get away. There is a much higher level of uncertainty and FOW than in other games. You will either value this, as bringing a realistic historical feel, or feel a lack of control compared to other games, as your units are likely to fail to achieve the objectives you set, but hey, this is how life works when it's not a game.

The AAR and this thread - tm.asp?m=4259625 - are intended to show the depth in the game despite it's deceptively simple game system.
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

PS There is plenty of flavour, for instance in assigning replacements, each nation and each type of unit has a separate pool. Applying the replacements is a one-click action, but the decision has consequences, you have lots of Allied infantry grunts, but not many paratroopers, or commandos, some nations have less or no replacements available. You might have an elite unit which you really want to use, but if it suffers high casualties you cannot replace them, or there will be a delay in getting the replacements. The system is simple, but are you going to use a highly capable unit, or a less capable unit that has many more replacements available, it could be a long campaign, which will you use.

The Allies have US, British, Canadian, New Zealand, French, Indian, Polish, Greek, Brazilian, plus the counter set has other nations that I haven't seen yet. This game has more flavours than a pizza.

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

Delaware

Post by Delaware »

Thanks. I bought it. Appreciate the help. Also bought Cold Waters off Steam so this goes on the back burner
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: Delaware

Thanks. I bought it. Appreciate the help. Also bought Cold Waters off Steam so this goes on the back burner

When it comes off the back burner, have a look at the main AAR thread, the game system doesn't overwhelm you with information and choices, but as with other Frank Hunter games, when information is shown then it's important and will have an effect in the game. Take the time to see how the features interrelate.

The AAR has highlighted some problems with the game, but nothing critical and these can be dealt with in gameplay, although Matrix is silent on the support page and there is little chance of further development.

pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

The game system is set to a much simpler level of management than 'War in the West', although it covers only the invasion of Sicily and the Italian Campaign, in various scenarios of different turn duration. It is much quicker to play as you have strategic decisions to make, but these interact into potentially deeper consequences. The tactical decisions required are also limited, but add up to potentially complex outcomes, I sometimes find myself taking time working through the options, although enacting the decisions is very quick. Once you have a plan, a game turn takes very little time to enact.

The main thing to consider is that this game is WEGO, you set the movement and combat tasks, but the action is resolved simultaneously for both sides. Your opponent may not wait around to be attacked, or you may attempt to withdraw and an enemy with a higher effectiveness level may hit you before you can get away. There is a much higher level of uncertainty and FOW than in other games. You will either value this, as bringing a realistic historical feel, or feel a lack of control compared to other games, as your units are likely to fail to achieve the objectives you set, but hey, this is how life works when it's not a game.

I agree! Also, for new players, please check out the Player's Notes in The War Room.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer

Return to “Piercing Fortress Europa”