Wondering if this is worth picking up?

Piercing Fortress Europa is a new game from veteran game designer Frank Hunter, which covers the campaigns of the Western Allies from July, 1943 through the end of April, 1945 in Sicily and Italy. Each area has its own map and time scale to best represent the campaigns for Sicily and Italy and the player is offered complete freedom, limited only by a historical order of battle and logistics model, to plan his operations and explore all of the many “what ifs” that the Italian theater has to offer.
ObeseMonkey

Wondering if this is worth picking up?

Post by ObeseMonkey »

Hi, saw this is on a pretty deep sale. Does anyone still play this and how well does it run on windows 10?
I own Campaigns on the Danube and am a big fan of it. Think it’s the same developer. I’m also a big fan of the Gary Grisby games.
So this looks like a lot of fun.

Also how good is the Ai? I tend to exclusively play single player. I’m not the best though and tend to self handicap sometimes to give the ai a chance (I don’t do gamey stuff). So it doesn’t need to be too competent.

Don’t know if anyone even comes here anymore aha, but hopefully someone can help.
Thanks!
'Juana Azurduy, flor del Alto Perú, No hay otro capitán más valiente que tú'.
SMK-at-work

RE: Wondering if this is worth picking up?

Post by SMK-at-work »

I would say buy it - been a few years since I played it, but the AI gave a good game.

Frank Hunter is a much deeper thinker than msot game designers IMO - this is a chellenging game where logistics is the most important skil to master.

IMO it's a real shame he hasn't followed it up with more scenarios.

As an aside, Guns of August is a simlarly "deep" WW1 game that is another masterpiece ... although the UI and maps are pretty naf :)
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
ObeseMonkey

RE: Wondering if this is worth picking up?

Post by ObeseMonkey »

Thanks! For the price I’ll give it a shot then :)

Yes! I own Guns of August, it is a very fun game. Though like you say map let’s it down a bit.
'Juana Azurduy, flor del Alto Perú, No hay otro capitán más valiente que tú'.
sol_invictus

Re: Wondering if this is worth picking up?

Post by sol_invictus »

Did you check out the Alternate Map in GOA? A big improvement imo.
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
CJM

Re: Wondering if this is worth picking up?

Post by CJM »

Anyone have a link to the alternative map on GOA? (I don't even know what GOA is)

Also, the game is certainly worth the price. It falls into the old "beer and pretzels" category and is a lot of fun. The AI is competent and like a post above notes, supply is a massive part of the game.
The Wehrmacht that set out to conquer Russia in 1941 was a poor army with strictly limited resources.
- Supplying War (1977)

Return to “Piercing Fortress Europa”