Crash and long loading time

Panzer Command: Ostfront is the latest in a new series of 3D turn-based tactical wargames which include single battles, multi-battle operations and full war campaigns with realistic units, tactics and terrain and an informative and practical interface. Including a full Map Editor, 60+ Scenarios, 10 Campaigns and a very long list of improvements, this is the ultimate Panzer Command release for the Eastern Front!

Moderator: rickier65

Graybullet

Crash and long loading time

Post by Graybullet »

I am using the most recent version of Win10 (18363.535). My PC specs are good enough to play this game (i7-7700HQ, Nvidia GTX 1050, 12GB RAM). The game runs in admin mode and the only antivirus software I have is Windows Defender (I exclude the game folder in the scan setting).

I have the following two issues:

1. It takes an extremely long time to start a randomly generated battle. I tested two different random battles and they always take more than three minutes to enter the game. The loading time of campaign battles is also much longer than the older version.

2. I created a random battle using the template "bad_daugai", and when I tried to start this battle, the game crashed on the loading screen. I tried to create two battles using this template and it always crashed.

I attached my log file.

P.S. I played the older version (v327h) yesterday and had no issues at all (of course, v327h does not have the template "bad_daugai"). I updated my game to v330 today and started to have these two problems. I also tested these issues on a different Win10 PC (Surface Pro 4) and had the same problems.
Attachments
gamelog_12_27_2019.txt
(2.96 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Graybullet

RE: Crash and long loading time

Post by Graybullet »

Update: I was able to solve the second issue (i.e. game crash) by choosing "application" in the high-DPI scaling setting of "PCOstfront.exe". Previously it was set to "system". Moreover, to prevent crashing, the game must run in admin mode. Both these two settings are required for the game to run normally without crashing.

But I still have the first issue when launching a random game created by the template "bad_daugai". I tested several map templates and it seems that this map is the only one that has extremely long loading time.

In addition, I found that the game sometimes crashes with this message "Microsoft .NET Managed Large Object Heap is too fragmented to continue." One situation that it happens is after I start a random game and then return to the main menu and then load the random game created by "bad_daugai".
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Graybullet

Update: I was able to solve the second issue (i.e. game crash) by choosing "application" in the high-DPI scaling setting of "PCOstfront.exe". Previously it was set to "system". Moreover, to prevent crashing, the game must run in admin mode. Both these two settings are required for the game to run normally without crashing.

But I still have the first issue when launching a random game created by the template "bad_daugai". I tested several map templates and it seems that this map is the only one that has extremely long loading time.

In addition, I found that the game sometimes crashes with this message "Microsoft .NET Managed Large Object Heap is too fragmented to continue." One situation that it happens is after I start a random game and then return to the main menu and then load the random game created by "bad_daugai".

Sorry we are just getting around to this. I've been out of town for the holidays.

I'm glad you found a way around one of your problems and thanks for posting. that might help some others if they have same problem. I did try the bad_dugai setup and I had similar issues with load time. From what I'm seeing that template uses a lot of individual 3D models for the map and I imagine that might be part of the load issue.

there aren't many of the dev team left on the boards, and modelling wasn't one of the areas I am familiar with, so I'm not sure I can be of much help. Myself and one of the other team members did some work last year on modifying the Map Maker with some defaults, I'm not sure it would help, but maybe I can take a look at whether using that to rebuild the map might help load time.

thanks again for posting your work arounds.

Rick

Graybullet

Post by Graybullet »

Thanks for your response, Rick!

To be honest, now I am not really concerned about the long loading time issue, because it is not a crash after all. Now I am more concerned about the last issue I mentioned in my last post, which is that sometimes the game will crash with the message “Microsoft .NET Managed Large Object Heap is too fragmented to continue." This usually happens if you first load a resource-demanding map, like "bad_dugai", and then return to the main menu, and then start a new map. The game will then crash in the loading screen. (If it does not crash, you can repeat these steps for a few more times).

I did some research about the meaning of "fragmented large Object Heap", and it seems to be related to memory release problem (correct me if I am wrong, because I know little about programming). In other words, I am guessing that the cause of this crash might be that after loading resources from the first map and then return to the main menu, the game fails to clean those resources out of memory, so when the second game is started, the memory has already been fully occupied.

So I was wondering if you could check if this is the case and if there is any way to fix it (maybe force the game to clean the memory every time you quit a game?). I do not really want to restart the game every time before I start a new map.

Thanks in advance!
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

In testing I got the same error. I first tried Niemenrow and that took 37 seconds to load. Then I exited and went to the main menu to run Bad Daugi. That failed loading data base giving the heap error. I restarted the game and then ran Bad Daugi and it took quite a bit longer 2:05 minutes but loaded. This is a 1500 x 1500 map but doesn't have an unusual number of structures.
It looks like the heap is not cleared out entirely and re-initialized between scenarios. So you are correct in the reason for the fail.
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

Mobius,

Thanks for verifying this.

Graybullet,

I'll add this to list of things to look at. I'm not sure I would be able to find and fix the issue though Matrix may have another programmer pick it up at some point. Without some additional folks to do some modelling, I'm not sure when we would have an occasion to update. I know I don't have the skills needed for modelling.

But I will add it to list.

Thanks
Rick
Graybullet

Post by Graybullet »

Thanks very much for your help, Mobius and Rick!

Return to “Panzer Command: Ostfront”