I'm still having problems with game crashes.

Panzer Command: Ostfront is the latest in a new series of 3D turn-based tactical wargames which include single battles, multi-battle operations and full war campaigns with realistic units, tactics and terrain and an informative and practical interface. Including a full Map Editor, 60+ Scenarios, 10 Campaigns and a very long list of improvements, this is the ultimate Panzer Command release for the Eastern Front!

Moderator: rickier65

Champagne

I'm still having problems with game crashes.

Post by Champagne »

Is anyone still playing this game?

I like it a lot. I started out with Winter Storm when that was new. Then, I played Kharkov.

Somehow, in Windows 7, PC Ostfront crashes. Games like Combat Mission Red Thunder run just fine, so, I don't understand why PC Ostfront crashes.

Suggestions?
Only the dead have seen the end of War.

-- Plato
zakblood

RE: I'm still having problems with game crashes.

Post by zakblood »

clean install, no background apps running, install as admin and run as admin, 9 out of 10 times apps crash with either permissions issue or they don't like something in the background running or starting when game is running, but without error logs etc, it's hard to say for sure
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Champagne

Is anyone still playing this game?

I like it a lot. I started out with Winter Storm when that was new. Then, I played Kharkov.

Somehow, in Windows 7, PC Ostfront crashes. Games like Combat Mission Red Thunder run just fine, so, I don't understand why PC Ostfront crashes.

Suggestions?

There is a log sub-folder in the Ostfront main game folder. The log sub-folder contains log files that have a date embedded in the name. These log files are text files and can be read with any text reader. The entries in the log file have date and time stamps and sometimes have a clue as to why the game crashed. Or if you post a copy of the log file that covers the period when it crashes it might contain some info that could help pin it down. Sometimes it's a missing resource file.

Also, does it occur on a stock scenario? or a random scenario? There is an auto save feature that might also help. If we can pin point the problem, we may be able to fix.

Thanks
Rick
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

The problem occurs in a stock scenario. I have asked my AV brand Webroot to "Whitelist" the game's .exe file, but, they say that's not necessary.

I'll try to attach the logfile.

-- Plato
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

Could I email the file? I can't figure out how to attach the logfile to my post. The attach file feature on this message board says that the Log folder is a "Fake Path".

Thanks.

You know, I am a big fan of the Combat Mission Red Thunder tactical East Front game, but, this company will probably never issue a game on the 1941 battles.

-- Plato
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

I figured out how to upload a crash log file.

The game crashed even after I had disabled my AV software.

My computer hardware specs. I'm running the game at max graphic settings including max Anisotropic and Anti-aliasing settings.

CyberPower Computer specs
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-990X processor, 6 cores
Memory: 24 GB
Video Card: ASUS GeForce Nvidia GTX 1050Ti
Western Digital Blue 1TB
Case: Sniper Black Edition
Power Supply: Commander 1200 Watts
Sound Card: Creative SoundBlaster Z-Series
Monitor: ViewSonic

I have been trying to solve this problem for years. I would really love to get this game running. I have always been fond of this game series and I have played every one of them.
Attachments
Crashlog.txt
(3.98 KiB) Downloaded 19 times

-- Plato
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

I figured out how to upload a crash log file.

The game crashed even after I had disabled my AV software.

My computer hardware specs. I'm running the game at max graphic settings including max Anisotropic and Anti-aliasing settings.

CyberPower Computer specs
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-990X processor, 6 cores
Memory: 24 GB
Video Card: ASUS GeForce Nvidia GTX 1050Ti
Western Digital Blue 1TB
Case: Sniper Black Edition
Power Supply: Commander 1200 Watts
Sound Card: Creative SoundBlaster Z-Series
Monitor: ViewSonic

I have been trying to solve this problem for years. I would really love to get this game running. I have always been fond of this game series and I have played every one of them.

I'll try top take a look at it later today or tommorrow.

Rick
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

I would be very very grateful if you could help me get the game running.

-- Plato
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

I'm vacationing with family for next couple of weeks, but if I get a chance I'll take a look and see if I can duplicate. I did take a quick look at your log, and the error that triggers the crash is an out of memory error, but I see from your specs that you have more than enough memory, so something else is triggering it.

I'll load up that same scenario and check it out.

Rick
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

Where are you vacationing? I'll bring a laptop with a bunch of wargames on it and we'll play. Or would you rather we set up a board wargame?

Ha, ha. Just kidding!

Look, I'll bet it has been almost ten years since I've gotten this game to run. I can wait a little longer.

I have another log file from the day before you one you have. It is a longer logfile, but, now that I've figured out how to Attach, I can add it. Just say the word.

Thanks!

-- Plato
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

Where are you vacationing? I'll bring a laptop with a bunch of wargames on it and we'll play. Or would you rather we set up a board wargame?

Ha, ha. Just kidding!

Look, I'll bet it has been almost ten years since I've gotten this game to run. I can wait a little longer.

I have another log file from the day before you one you have. It is a longer logfile, but, now that I've figured out how to Attach, I can add it. Just say the word.

Thanks!

They're actually visiting here in oregon. And we're doing lots of day trips.

Rick
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

So far I haven't been able to duplicate the crash, but UI'll keep playing. In meantime, do you have a saved game close to wehre it crashed? Unless you turned it off, tehre is an auto save that will save up to 3 saves.

Also, have you played other scenarios?

Thanks
Rick
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

ORIGINAL: rickier65

In meantime, do you have a saved game close to wehre it crashed? Unless you turned it off, tehre is an auto save that will save up to 3 saves.

I saved the game just one turn before the crash, and that is the logfile I posted here. Is this responsive to your request?

I haven't played any other scenarios in a long time, but, I'll try that. I'll save the game very turn and post the logfile if there is a crash.

-- Plato
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: rickier65

In meantime, do you have a saved game close to wehre it crashed? Unless you turned it off, tehre is an auto save that will save up to 3 saves.

I saved the game just one turn before the crash, and that is the logfile I posted here. Is this responsive to your request?

I haven't played any other scenarios in a long time, but, I'll try that. I'll save the game very turn and post the logfile if there is a crash.

There is a Save sub-folder in the Ostfront main game folder. This is where your saved games are located. That folder also contains up to 3 Autosav files. If you zip up the saved turn and the newest autosav you could upload them here, or let me know and I'll send you an email address to send to.

I might also have you try a couple of other things, though I still haven't been able to duplicate the problem, though I don't have a system that matches your specs so that might be a problem. But your specs should be more than adequate to play, they exceed mine.

When you installed the game, did you make sure to allow it to install the DirectX (even if you already have DirectX installed, make sure you let the game install it as well.

Thanks
Rick
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

Yes, I followed the install directions carefully and allowed the DirectX installation.

I have tried two small scenarios, Kobrin and First of Many, without problems.

Should I re-try the large scenario that caused the crash to induce the crash and then send the zipped save file to you?

My computer runs the Battlefront Combat Missions games with no problems.

Is the "KEY" to my problem that I must remember to Launch the game each time "As Administrator"?

-- Plato
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

Yes, I followed the install directions carefully and allowed the DirectX installation.

Ok, just wanted to double check. Thanks.
I have tried two small scenarios, Kobrin and First of Many, without problems.

Should I re-try the large scenario that caused the crash to induce the crash and then send the zipped save file to you?

OK, this scenario that crashed is one of the larger ones, from the standpoint of video resources used. (2km map with lots of trees).
My computer runs the Battlefront Combat Missions games with no problems.

Is the "KEY" to my problem that I must remember to Launch the game each time "As Administrator"?

I dont think that should be necessary.

I was able to get the scenario to crash. I have a totally different set of error msgs in the log, but I'm going to try a couple of things. A saved game might help, though I have one myself now I can use. I want to make sure I can get it to consistently crash.

Thanks
Rick
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

I was able to get the scenario to crash. I have a totally different set of error msgs in the log, but I'm going to try a couple of things. A saved game might help, though I have one myself now I can use. I want to make sure I can get it to consistently crash.

Thank you SO much !

PS For anyone else who may happen to see this thread, the large stock scenario giving me problems is called "Their Toughest Battle".

-- Plato

Return to “Panzer Command: Ostfront”