Power to the user: The OBKonverter

In this elegant turn-based strategy game, compelling gameplay combines with gripping history to create an addictive mix. Aimed at all levels, from those who have never played a wargame before to those who know the history of World War II in detail, this is an entertaining and mentally challenging game of combined arms strategy. Your armor, infantry, artillery and air units will follow you through the most crucial battles of the Eastern Front. You will be able to choose from 47 different upgrades and improvements for your units as well as add new forces based on your success in the campaign. Take command in two German and one Soviet campaign as well as individual scenarios and determine the fate of the Eastern Front.

Moderators: Ronald Wendt, RalfZenker

Ronald Wendt

Power to the user: The OBKonverter

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Today i am proud to provide you with the "OBKonverter" - a tool to convert maps from the English to the German version and vice versa.

In addition you can encrypt and decrypt .cfg files. This way you can edit the unit values and landscape data or add units to the game.

Have fun.

OBKonverter

Here is a wishlist with the suggestion made so far:

* Manual
* English language
* .cfg files shown seperatly in the fileselection
* options should be kept when the programm is closed

junk2drive

RE: Power to the user: The OBKonverter

Post by junk2drive »

Thanks

I'll give this a look.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Some instructions would be helpful.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Some instructions would be helpful.

Thought it being self-explanatory, but a small manual will follow as soon as possible if there is a need for it.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

IF you browse for a file the dropdown only shows scn files. What about cfg?
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

IF you browse for a file the dropdown only shows scn files. What about cfg?
Here it show .scn, .txt or all kinds of files. To include .cfg is a good idea to make them easier to spot. I guess i simply know all of them so never had trouble with that. [;)]

Will be noted for the next version.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

It looks like the buttons are for converting maps from language to language. I don't see anything about opening the cfg files to add or modify units or encrypting decrypting.
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Ok I think I figured this out. (at least to encrypt deencrypt the data file for unit properties, units.cfg)

1 make a backup copy of any file you are going to tamper with !

2 launch the converter exe,   click on "optionen"

3 uncheck everything EXCEPT  "Ausgabedatei verschlusseln" then hit ok

4 find the file you are going to de-encrypt using  the folder/file finder under "Eingabedatei"  and hit open, then do same with Ausgabedetei  (use the drop down for all file types to find .cgf files)  The Augs one gives one the option to rename the output file when you hit save. if you feel the need.  I just used the same file name , if you do this a warning will come up in German which basically says you are overwriting the file.
5 actually, that warning will come up at the last step which is to hit "Konvertieren"

close the exe

Now when you open the cfg file it will be in plain text and you can edit  it, hurray!

to re-encryption follow the above except uncheck everything in Optionene except "Eingabetatei entschlusseln"

7 now place your edited and re-encrypted file back into the data folder of the game and see if your changes worked.

I changed the name of Tiger tanks to Tiger R Us and that is what is diplayed in the unit editor so I assume this was a success!

I highly suggest making a folder on your desktop with the encrpter EXE and files your are working on, makes it easier to find files and lessens the chance you open or screw up a file that you might not have made a back up for.

****edit, the exe does not keep any changes you make, all the items in options are always checked off so eveytime you use it dont assume they are checked/unchecked to your need
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Thanks for sharing your experience. It helps.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

ORIGINAL: The Gray Mouser
****edit, the exe does not keep any changes you make, all the items in options are always checked off so eveytime you use it dont assume they are checked/unchecked to your need
Should the last status of the options be saved ?

Your description of the way to edit the files is quite correct. We urgently need an bilingual version though i think.

So the improvement list is growing...keep going [:)]
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Would be a nice tweek but likly not absolutely needed. I'd volunteer for a translation but I dont speak any German:) Thanks for making this available BTW, cheers!
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

ORIGINAL: The Gray Mouser

Would be a nice tweek but likly not absolutely needed. I'd volunteer for a translation but I dont speak any German:) Thanks for making this available BTW, cheers!
You are welcome - i believe in giving the player more freedom in such things. Thats part of the fun.

About the translation: the language is not the problem, but getting it into the programm. So thanks for your offer, but its in the programmers hands [;)]

Some things i have to warn everybody who uses the converter about:

*Changing unit names will cause old maps with those units to not work anymore.
*You can add units without a problem, but new maps done with them always need the new units.cfg with them.
*Changing values and types of units is without restrictions
*landmarks should always be added on the last position of a kind, else old maps will not work anymore
*Maps with new own units can't be converted to another language (this will hopefully change soon)
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hello,

today we release version 1.0.1.0 of the OB Konverter.

It is not a new version, but rather supports the Z Mod entities from now on.
The readme has been expanded with hints, a short dictionary for English speaking users and a versions log. Get it here:

OBKonverter 1.0.1.0

Have fun !

Return to “Operation Barbarossa: The Struggle for Russia”