A Second Civil War v5.1

Post accounts of your memorable victories and defeats here for other wargamers to share.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

smiley69

RE: A Second Civil War v5.1

Post by smiley69 »

Throwing in the Towel – turn 24

After 24 turns, Jo and I decided to throw in the towel on this scenario. It appears for all intents and purposes that the CSA was not able to gain any sort of foothold on the north side of the Ohio River allowing any sort of sustained offensive. On the west side of the map, the 1st SS and GA Sharpshooters did manage to create a bulge to the SW of Greenville but were never able to exploit the advance any further than the Redford/Greenville highway. U.S. forces, albeit weak and green, were able to plug all holes and in some cases were even able to mount successful counterattacks, pushing the CSA and Germans back nearly to the original borders between the CSA and USA.

As you can see by the below map, the CSA chose 4 main avenues of attack towards the main goal – the capture of St. Louis, MO. In each attack, Jo was able to open a bulge in the US defenses but despite repeated attacks was never able to actually break through the line. The largest gains were in Sectors 5 and 7 – which in both cases Jo gained about 15 km before he was finally halted.

The black line represents the pre-war border between the CSA/USA. The green dotted line represents the borders between sectors, and the red line (hard to see) represents the farthest gain the CSA managed to accomplish.
In retrospect, if the CSA is to have any chance of winning this scenario he needs to break through the lines as early on into the scenario as possible BEFORE the US receives the bulk of their reinforcements. Additionally, he needs to cross the Ohio River at multiple points in order to allow the chance to encircle and cut off US defending forces. The problem there lies with the substantial amount of obstacles on either side of the river causing the number of crossing points to be small, and the CSA player has only 3 turns of cease fire to locate suitable those suitable crossing points and get his forces into position to exploit them.

Changing sides:

Jo and I are going to change sides on this scenario allowing me to get a fresh perspective on the CSA side before I start to make the changes I noted from this playtest.

Attachments
UnamedCOA..28copy.jpg
UnamedCOA..28copy.jpg (416.81 KiB) Viewed 163 times
"When the situation is obscure, attack!"

Heinz Guderian

Return to “After Action Reports”