THIRD REICH 42-45 1.5.2 - mike1984 (Allies) vs USXpat (Axis)

Post accounts of your memorable victories and defeats here for other wargamers to share.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T070: 9.3.43

Post by mike1984 »

T070: 9.3.43

Quiet turn outside of Karelia. Even there, it was just some counterattacks that netted me one hex. But I expect the Germans to keep pressing southward for at least one or two more turns before the steam runs out of their offensive.

The EEV reached 10 (due to the strategic bombing campaign in NW Europe) so Mark suffers minus-1 Supply starting this turn.
mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T071: 9.10.43

Post by mike1984 »

T071: 9.10.43

Another quiet turn across the board. Much of the movement has been troop shifting away from the Rzhev sector. I know I could have renewed the offensive and probably gained some more ground. But I highly doubt I’d reach anywhere near Vyazma or even sniffed the outskirts of Smolensk. One of the biggest problems with another offensive here is that the Germans now have much more strength in the region, and the rail lines offer ample supply. I’d have to re-mass my artillery for a while and pound away at the front lines for at least a turn or two, giving Mark time to send more help to the area. I’ve sent the 1st and 2nd Guards Armies down south to the Stalingrad sector. The remaining 5-6 Guards armies in the Rzhev sector are resting before moving elsewhere. The most likely places for another offensive is in the Baltic region, or in the North Caucasus. The area west of Astrakhan is still a vulnerable spot for Mark, as there are no rail lines or even improved roads to offer decent supply. The same goes for my forces there, so it’s a risk. But if I can get his units on the run early down there, I could make it all the way up to the southeast sector of Stalingrad, connecting my two fronts. In Karelia, the steam is running out of the German offensive already, as I’ve shifted the 31st Army up from the Rzhev sector to help out.
mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T072: 9.17.43

Post by mike1984 »

T072: 9.17.43

Sector: Sardinia - OPERATION: PAPERBACK
This is just a small amphibious landing operation to capture Sardinia and possibly Corsica. Not much planning went into it compared to other major operations, but it is an essential step toward the invasion of the mainland. The British II Corps, supported by the 2nd Armoured Brigade and elements of the First Army landed at opposite ends of the island. The supply point is at Cagliari, so connecting the beaches is the immediate objective. Mark has nearly abandoned defending this and Corsica, so I don’t expect much of a fight. Still, I have some reserves ready to go if necessary.

ELSEWHERE

Russia - More movements and troop shifting. I’m currently making contingency plans for three different operations--Finland, the Baltics, and the Northern Caucasus.

NW Europe/Germany - The RAF Bomber Command and US 8th AAF are concentrating on the production centers around Essen, including Dortmund and Duisburg. Damage has been inflicted each raid.
mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T073-074: 9.24.43

Post by mike1984 »

T073-074: 9.24-10.1.43

Dual turn this entry, mostly due to lack of overall action on my side. However, I do have plans in place for the invasion of mainland Italy, codename OPERATION: SLAPSTICK (the historical name for invasion at Taranto), which does not include seaborne landings at Salerno. There is currently a large Panzer division (my guess is it’s the Herman Goering Division) stationed at Salerno, which would be nearly impossible to dislodge by sea in one turn. After the near-disaster on D-Day of OPERATION: HUSKY, I’m not about to send another wave of US divisions, this time likely to be slaughtered in their landing craft.

Sector: Karelia
The German/Finnish advance southward is steady but not all that dangerous to my situation. Over two turns, the Axis have only gained three hexes-worth of territory south of the original line. The 70th and 26th Armies are basically destroyed, but with reinforcements and terrain benefiting my defenses, this should be a short-lived offensive for Mark with little return. However, I’m debating a counter offensive here, dependent on how many reinforcements I can spare from other sectors.

Sector: Sardinia - OPERATION: PAPERBACK
In three weeks, the island of Sardinia is secure, and I can begin prep for the landings on Corsica. The smaller of the two islands should be even easier to capture, as Mark has abandoned any real defense of them.

ELSEWHERE

England: Lead elements of the US First Army have landed, including the 3rd Armored Division. The British Second Army is also beginning to muster. The British I Corps and XII Corps are both encamped, the former having shipped back to England from Africa. In the air war, another US 8th AF bomber squadron arrived, as the 8th AF and RAF Bomber Command have shifted bases.

Mediterranean: The British X Corps is transferring to Sicily from Libya. With only 12k sea transport, it’s only feasible to move one of the X Corps’ heavy armored divisions at a time, so this is a slow process. The British XXX Corps and VIII Corps are also awaiting transfers, but those two will go back to England. The South African divisions will remain behind as garrison troops for Crete and North Africa.
mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T075: 10.8.43

Post by mike1984 »

T075: 10.8.43

Sector: Sicily - Southern Italy - OPERATION: SLAPSTICK
The Italian army has surrendered. However, the Germans have been building a fortified defensive line from Salerno to the Adriatic, using the natural barrier of the Ofanto River--leading me to assume their name for it is the “Ofanto Line.” I’ve begun the invasion of southern Italy via OPERATION: SLAPSTICK, with the lead elements of the V and X Corps, and 18th Army Group (4th Division) landing at Taranto and Bari. The US Fifth Army and V Corps are advancing across the Strait of Messina to establish bases in Calabria. I’m not anticipating using the V Corps permanently in Italy, instead sticking with the II and VI Corps as done historically.

As of this posting, I have not used the Avalanche Sea Transport Disband.

The Axis here are still pushing slowly south. It’s not much of a concern, though, as I have enough reserves to counter any serious threat.

Sector: Grozny
The small holdouts south of Grozny are now being pushed back into the mountain passes. I don’t believe Mark thinks this is a viable route to T’Bilisi, but rather it could be a way to free up divisions for operations elsewhere.
mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T076: 10.15.43

Post by mike1984 »

T076: 10.15.43

The British landing force has secured the beaches and begun marching inland. Ensuing divisions are landing at Taranto. The US Fifth Army and V Corps continue their march north from Calabria. No contact has yet been made with the Germans along the Ofanto River. I’m expecting that to change next turn.
mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T077: 10.22.43

Post by mike1984 »

T077: 10.22.43

With Taranto and Calabria secured, OPERATION: SLAPSTICK is now closed. It was a small operation relative to the original AVALANCHE, but with the Salerno beaches so heavily fortified with tanks, a historical plan for invading Italy was unrealistic. First contact has been made with the Germans along the Ofanto Line, where the 999. Leitche Division is entrenched in a somewhat advanced position. Recon has confirmed the following strength of the enemy:

1 SS Panzer Divison
1 SS Mountain Division
1 SS Hvy Panzer Btn
1 Fallschirmjager Division
999. Leichte Division
2 Hvy Panzer Btns
1 Panzer Division (Herman Goering Div?)

That doesn’t include the units that are likely manning the line between Salerno and the Apennines. This will be a tough nut to crack, but with enough artillery support, hopefully progress can be made within a few turns.

Sector: Velikie Luki - Plans for OPERATION: CALLISTO
The Russian Front is starting to piss me off. I can’t seem to get a decent offensive going that really destabilizes the Germans in more than one or two sectors. So I’m hoping this will help. The idea behind OPERATION: CALLISTO is to use an offensive strike force at least the size of the one used in OPERATION: GUILLOTINE, attack directly west through Kholm and Velikie Luki, and capture the rail junction at Pskov. My initial estimates for the Order of Battle:

4 Guards Armies
4 Guards Tank Armies
2 Shock Armies
2 Regular Armies
10-12 Artillery Divisions
6-7 Air Armies

My target launch for this offense will be after the mud season. Logistical problems have delayed the start date because of lack of sea transport getting some of the participants up from the Caucasus/Baku. If for some reason I can get this thing off the ground sooner, so be it. But for now, it’s best to carefully plan this one, since I need something to finally break on the Russian Front.

Sector: Astrakhan
This might be something... or might not be anything. But I’ve found a crack in the German line. A lone anti-tank unit ventured out one night and soon realized they were behind two German divisions. Scrambling back to the Russian HQs, this information could help spark something in this sector.
mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T078: 10.29.43

Post by mike1984 »

T078: 10.29.43

Sector: Southern Italy
The British now have the better part of two full corps on the Italian mainland, with additional divisions like the 5th “Ball of Fire” and two more armoured brigades. The US is holding back its V Corps until the VI Corps can come up from Sicily. The 2nd Armored Division is the main front line unit at this point, which will be relieved within a few turns. I’m not crazy about launching a winter offensive here, but I might not have a choice.

Sector: Stalingrad - Astrakhan - OPERATION: HARVEST
This is a dummy operation I just came up with to conceal my real intentions to attack in the Baltics. As you can see from the slides, I’ve built up considerable force in both Stalingrad and Astrakhan. First in Stalingrad, I now have several Guards infantry armies, in addition to shipping down the 4th and 13th Air Armies from the Moscow region.

To the south, near Astrakhan, the Guards armor is massed with two Guards infantry armies. I’m hoping my one tell here--all the Guards armies remain stationed on rail lines--won’t get noticed by Mark. But in his communications to me recently, it sounds like he’s taking the bait, moving the Luftwaffe in force to the southern areas. Of course, it could be a double-cross, too. I’m remaining always skeptical, but confident in my deception plans for OPERATION: CALLISTO in the north. The plan moving forward will allow Mark more time to react to OPERATION: HARVEST. Once I see he’s moved more actual ground units into the area and off the rail lines (so he won’t have easy access immediately after I make my moves), I’ll ship all these Guards armies by rail up to the Baltics, simultaneously bombing the crap out of his rail network. All I need is about 2 turns to get OPERATION: CALLISTO off the ground before he reacts.
mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T079: 11.5.43

Post by mike1984 »

T079: 11.5.43

Sector: Stalingrad - Astrakhan - OPERATION: HARVEST
So far, so good. The deception is beginning to work, as Mark is funneling almost half the available Luftwaffe squadrons down to this part of the Russian Front. Not only that, but I’ve observed at least two full Panzer divisions being transferred from the Vyazma sector. I’m not going to even begin transferring all the Guards armies back up north until the very last moment before the offensive begins.

Sector: Velikie Luki - Central Russian Sectors - OPERATION: CALLISTO
The air campaign for CALLISTO will begin this turn, mostly focused on bridge-busting the hell out of Mark’s rail network. Hopefully, this will look to him as if I’m cutting off rail access to the south, when in reality it’s designed (obviously) to do the opposite, cutting off his ability to transfer troops out of the Caucasus to counter my offensive in the Baltics.

I’m pulling back from the northern part of this sector. There’s no point in wasting men and material defending something that doesn’t need to be defended. My positions in the south are solid, and I’m not sure Mark is willing to mess with the entire 8th Guards Army, which has been waiting patiently along the supply line.

Progress here has been painfully slow, as the British V and X Corps are finally all on the Italian mainland, while the US Fifth Army has yet to bring up any of its infantry corps to the front line. Mark could actually launch an attack (which he won’t, if he’s as smart as I know he is) against the US troops sitting in front of Salerno and destroy almost all of them. It’s just the 2nd Armored Division supported by a few artillery units. The US VI Corps is moving up past the V Corps, and should be in position next turn. After that, the rail line should be rebuilt enough to move the II Corps up from Palermo. At Taranto, the bulk of the British XXX Corps has landed, which includes the powerful 2nd New Zealand, 9th Australian, and 4th Indian Divisions. The 51st Highland Division is still on Crete, since I ran out of sea transport. That unit will end up being redeployed to England anyway. The XXX Corps South African Division will garrison Corsica, which has just fallen to a small expedition by the British I Corps.

Sector: NW Europe - Strategic Air Campaign
Bombings have increased attacking the German industrial centers in the Ruhr and Rhine River Valleys. Mark has moved at least a half dozen (maybe more) Luftwaffe fighter squadrons from this area to the southern portion of the Russian Front (HARVEST is working!) which allows my new P-51s to better protect the bombers.
mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T080: 11.12.43

Post by mike1984 »

T080: 11.12.43

Sector: Batumi - Black Sea Coast
After months of fighting, the Germans have finally punched their way into Batumi. This in turn forced the scuttling of the Russian Black Sea Fleet, as it was the final port hex on the Black Sea. Not a huge loss, but symbolic at least. In a way, though, I can now fall back to stronger defensive positions in front of Kutaisi and concentrate elsewhere.
mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T081: 11.19.43

Post by mike1984 »

T081: 11.19.43

The US II and VI Corps are both up on the line now, ready to begin offensive operations next turn.

Sector: Central Russia - OPERATION: CALLISTO
The Russian air force is very tired after non-stop bridge and rail bombing. But after a lighter turn of raids, should be good to begin once again this turn. Destruction of the German rail network is absolutely critical to the operation’s success.
mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T082: 11.26.43

Post by mike1984 »

T082: 11.26.43

Disbands:
+25 Recon @ 4T
Strat Bomb -4

Sector: Velikie Luki - OPERATION: CALLISTO
I’m beginning to think I’ve fallen prey to my own bad habits--taking too long to set up operations. Mark seems to have shipped in a few extra divisions to this sector, including at least one more Panzer division. I’ll have to move the artillery units back for a while, and step up diversionary attacks in other sectors. Hopefully that will throw him a bit off the scent. If not, I’m going to go ahead with this anyway. It’s a manageable goal to capture Pskov. And if there are opportunities elsewhere on the Russian Front during the execution of OPERATION: CALLISTO, then I can address them at the time.

The first attacks by the US II Corps into Salerno slammed the Herman Goering Division, but failed to dislodge the crack German unit from the town. US artillery and naval support were able to knock the HG Division out from its fortified status, so at least there’s hope moving forward here. The British haven’t started attacks yet, as they’re waiting for the rail lines to increase supply from Messina.

Sector: NW Europe - Strategic Bombing Campaign
I’m concentrating on the Hamburg Oil unit, as it gives me +5 EEV if damaged.
mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T083: 12.3.43

Post by mike1984 »

T083: 12.3.43

Sector: Russian Front - All Central Russia Sectors
Something is going on at three different points in the line. Last turn, I made a few probing attacks just to harass the Axis north of Vyazma, adjacent Yelets, and south of Voronezh. Each one of my attacks had popped a small hole in the Axis line, but I didn’t think anything of it. Now, Mark has launched a little counterattack north of Vyazma, while my gains have been growing near Yelets. If these little skirmishes continue to escalate, all my planning for OPERATION: CALLISTO will be for naught, as I’ve already had to commit three Tank armies to the Vyazma situation, where Mark is actually threatening my position there. At least I haven’t begun my offensive disbands yet. I was planning to do so in the next few turns.

Sector: Salerno
The US II and VI Corps continued the assaults this turn on Salerno and the terrain just east of the town. The 45th Division and 1st Armored made two attacks on the town itself, defended by the Herman Goering Panzer Division and 271. Infantry Division of the 19th Armee. Both attacks beat up the Germans, but couldn’t push them out of the town. One hex to the east, the 3rd and 36th Divisions attacked the 21. Panzer and 1. Skijager Divisions, with similar results as the assaults on Salerno. Following that, I ordered the 1st Armored and 45th Division to pivot east and join the 3rd and 36th to attack the Germans east of town. The Americans sustained moderate casualties, laid waste to the German units, but somehow were unable to capture the hex. The 9th Division is waiting in reserve, and will have to be committed to battle next turn to replace the most worn of the line divisions, most likely being the 36th. The 34th is on the right flank, and could be shifted west.

Sector: Strategic Bombing Campaign
Raids on Duisburg, Bremerhaven, and Hamburg this turn. But the big news came from the US 8th Air Force, as it completed its first run at Ploesti, damaging the oil refineries there.
Zovs

RE: TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T083: 12.3.43

Post by Zovs »

What happened?

???

Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

Return to “After Action Reports”