hot-seat FITE game questions

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

larryfulkerson

hot-seat FITE game questions

Post by larryfulkerson »

So um......hey you guys. Has anybody ever played a hot-seat game of Fire in the East?

And if so, did you play both sides or did you at some point give the Soviet side to Elmer?

How did you like it?

Did you play all 400+ turns?

Would you recommend doing that to anybody else?

Would you do it again given a chance?
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
samba_liten

RE: hot-seat FITE game questions

Post by samba_liten »

Never tried FitE, but i did try 60 or so turns of DNO. I quit because i found myself favoring one side. It was educational in some ways, but i don't think i would spend the time again.
السلام عليكم
Olorin

Post by Olorin »

I also played DNO in hotseat. It was a great way to learn the scenario: the OOBs, terrain, strategy etc.
I did it while reading several Barbarossa books, mainly Guderian's "Panzer General", which offered me a lot of insight into Panzergruppe 2 movements in the initial phase of Barbarossa. I was trying to replicate the movements of the German Army in TOAW. I found it extremely interesting and educational and I would do it again only if I found the scenario was worth my time and I was interested in studying that specific theater/battle.
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: polarenper
I quit because i found myself favoring one side.

The age old dilemma of solitaire boardgaming (brought to the computer, in the case of this thread)...

Do I pretend I don't notice me, trying to outflank myself? Or don't I, and thus move my units to block me? Are these intercepts of comm traffic between my units real, or are they exceptional deceptions to entice myself into doing something that may not favor me, but will help myself immensely? Can someone make the voices stop?
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
Panama

Post by Panama »

ORIGINAL: E

ORIGINAL: polarenper
I quit because i found myself favoring one side.

The age old dilemma of solitaire boardgaming (brought to the computer, in the case of this thread)...

Do I pretend I don't notice me, trying to outflank myself? Or don't I, and thus move my units to block me? Are these intercepts of comm traffic between my units real, or are they exceptional deceptions to entice myself into doing something that may not favor me, but will help myself immensely? Can someone make the voices stop?

With boardgames it was considerably more difficult to find an opponenet. Especially since, back in the day, wargamers were, well, perceived as weird. With TOAW I might play a few turns to see if a strategy might work but never an entire scenario. I can never surprise myself. Maybe if I had a split personality. But with my luck only one of them would like TOAW.
berto

Post by berto »

I recently played the TOAW Papua New Guinea scenario hot-seat solitaire. Quite enjoyable.

In my nearly 50 years of board and computer war gaming, the vast majority of my games have been hot-seat solitaire. (Some AI play, when the AI was "good enough", which isn't often enough. And just a very few times against a real human opponent.)

Hot-seat solitaire is not for everyone, but if you have no difficulty pretending ignorance, can set aside favoritism for one side or the other, and if you don't miss the social and competitive aspects of gaming, it can be fun.

Moreover, there are some scenarios with no PO, that are "designed for PBEM only" (e.g., the PNG scenario). If you don't have an opposing player (maybe because the scenario is so obscure that it's hard to find a suitable opponent with the shared interest), or you simply won't do PBEM (as in my case), what will you do? If you want to play the scenario/subject badly enough, hot-seat solitaire is the only alternative.

Would I give hot-seat solitaire a second chance? Yes, of course.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
marjur

Post by marjur »

I've played a PBEM game of FitE with myself. [:D]

I didn't play all the turns, but some 15, if I remember. I chose PBEM because this way I could easily play only a single turn a day. So I played one turn, then the next day, I played as the opponent, and so on. This only-one-turn-a-day system meant that I could forget some of the details from the previous day.

It was fun and quite educational.

Yeah, I could do it again. Actually, I'm toying with the idea to repeat it with DNO, maybe in the summer when I have more spare time...
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: Panama
With boardgames it was considerably more difficult to find an opponenet.
I bought my first computer just because of this aspect. I was the only honest one back then... everyone who bought a computer, got it to "do their checkbook" and ended up doing nothing but games. I bought mine JUST for (war) games (ah, the glory days of SSI). *grin*
ORIGINAL: Panama
Especially since, back in the day, wargamers were, well, perceived as weird.
Well, they were weird. They were barely a half step up the evolutionary scale from those who wore pocket protectors (and often, still did!). *grin* (For the record, _I_ never used a pocket protector!).
ORIGINAL: marjur
I've played a PBEM game of FitE with myself. [:D]
Did the anti-cheating function work well for you and yourself? *grin*

marjur

Post by marjur »

Nothing special happened.

I only kept getting this message that "you or your opponent may be using a pirated version of the game" or something similar. I guess it's because the PBEM save file somehow detects that both players (i.e. me and me) are using the same copy of the game... [:D]

E

Post by E »

Nothing special happened. I only kept getting this message that "you or your opponent may be using a pirated version of the game" or something similar.
I think yourself was might've been cheating on you, and you were silly not to call yourself on it! You can't let yourself get away with that! *grin*

marjur

Post by marjur »

Nothing special happened. I only kept getting this message that "you or your opponent may be using a pirated version of the game" or something similar.
I think yourself was might've been cheating on you, and you were silly not to call yourself on it! You can't let yourself get away with that! *grin*

Nah, myself isn't like that. Myself would never cheat on me.[:-]
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Anybody up for looking at the largest AAR ever produced for a hot-seat game of FITE?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ziap3f8mn ... rn%201.zip

I can do more if anybody wants to see more.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
E

Post by E »

Nah, myself isn't like that. Myself would never cheat on me.[:-]
But how can you trust yourself, if yourself is using a pirated copy on you? OR... is it yourself who should worry about you?!? (Please make the voices stop! *grin*)

Silvanski

Post by Silvanski »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

Anybody up for looking at the largest AAR ever produced for a hot-seat game of FITE?
Highly recommended reading by Larry aka "Mister FitE" himself!!
The TOAW Redux Dude
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Silvanski
Highly recommended reading by Larry aka "Mister FITE" himself!!
You're too kind by half. Just for that I'm going to produce another one, a bigger one and post it here.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's another one of those huge AAR's from this hot-seat game of FITE I started:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3kkdpkc1n ... rn%202.zip

larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Just click on the link below to see the front lines as of the beginning of turn 3. Click inside the rectangles to see a zoomed in view of that area with some verbage by me describing it somewhat. This may not work for those of you using IE for your browser. In that case may I suggest you download and install Firefox ( a REAL browser ). I've tested it with FireFox and it works just fine.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/t4b3hvb44 ... 0copy.html
SpicyJuan

Post by SpicyJuan »

Just click on the link below to see the front lines as of the beginning of turn 3. Click inside the rectangles to see a zoomed in view of that area with some verbage by me describing it somewhat. This may not work for those of you using IE for your browser. In that case may I suggest you download and install Firefox ( a REAL browser ). I've tested it with FireFox and it works just fine.[/url]

Hey Larry is there any chance you can reupload those aars?

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”