New Player's Workshop

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

Veers

New Player's Workshop

Post by Veers »

There will be a New Player's Workshop beginning shortly after the release of the next T3 patch over at GameSqaud. Registration for it is now open for any newbies wanting to get a leg up on the learning curve, or any oldbies that just want the advice that will be offered.

New Player's Workshop
To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.
Wolfpack_MatrixForum

RE: New Player's Workshop

Post by Wolfpack_MatrixForum »

Veers,

I am interested but cannot post a reply on Gamesquad.

I am registered there with no posting rights. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Wolfpack
Veers

Post by Veers »

ORIGINAL: Wolfpack

Veers,

Thanks,
Wolfpack
Why can't you post?
You could always just create a different account...
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.
L`zard

Post by L`zard »

Veers,

Thanks,
Wolfpack

Lost/mis-typed password? Cookies not set to 'save' ?

What's your error msg, eh?
"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

wolflars

Post by wolflars »

I have problems at gamesquad too. i can't post or download.

This is especially ironic since we both have "wolf" in our names. Maybe they hate wolves.
Wolfpack_MatrixForum

Sorry for not being more clear. I am logged in but the forums say I don't have rights to post. I am trying a new account per Veer's suggestion.

Wolfpack
L`zard

Post by L`zard »

AH HA!

Had similar problems myself (in the beginning).........requiring me to create accounts on both the GS boards and 'THEN' the Toaw boards..........try that, eh? Use 'save cookies' on 'medium security' for windows......If your 'security settings' are too high to allow the cookie to save, you'll have to log in EVERY time you change a page, eh?

Use your same passwords, same name, see what happens.....

(I've been known to be 'full o' the stuff' on occasion, eh?)
"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

Wolfpack_MatrixForum

Don't have permissions to post. I registered again and that cleared things up. Thanks.

Wolfpack
L`zard

Post by L`zard »

Don't have permissions to post. I registered again and that cleared things up. Thanks.

Wolfpack

See ya on the Forums, eh?

L`zard

Post by L`zard »

ORIGINAL: wolflars

I have problems at gamesquad too. i can't post or download.

This is especially ironic since we both have "wolf" in our names. Maybe they hate wolves.

Errmmm, nah............LOL!

Wolfpack made a 'new' account by changing his 'name'.....which to me means that there must have been some sort of fubar during his initial registration process, eh? Normally, only one account per email address. Or at least one gets into the 'error process' circle, eh?

Did you get an email from GS? One usually has to 'tap the link' in same to 'initialize' one's account.

Does the initial forum window your presented with show your name as 'logged in' ? ie: 'Hello, wolflars' , or 'logged in as 'wolflars' ?

You are not (evidently) a 'cherry' , so I'm surprised that this hasn't been fixed by now, eh?

shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Veers,

I have just had a quick look at the Road to Rimini scenario. What does it mean when it says you have to begin the game with British on PO and Germans on Human in order to initialize the events correctly? Does this apply to PBEM games?

Best wishes,
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
Veers

Post by Veers »

ORIGINAL: shunwick
Veers,
I have just had a quick look at the Road to Rimini scenario. What does it mean when it says you have to begin the game with British on PO and Germans on Human in order to initialize the events correctly? Does this apply to PBEM games?
Best wishes,
Shouldn't affect PBEM. It should just mean that in order to have the British PO work correctly you need to start the game with the British PO activated. I am curious wehther the same applies to the German PO working correctly...
But, to reiterate, with a PBEM game, you start it PBEM.
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Ok. Thanks.

Edited bit: Actually, that doesn't make sense. If a player was playing the British side against the PO then why would it matter if the British PO is set up correctly?

Best wishes,
Veers

Post by Veers »

Ok. Thanks.
Edited bit: Actually, that doesn't make sense. If a player was playing the British side against the PO then why would it matter if the British PO is set up correctly?
Best wishes,
You can begin a game hotseat, only to have the PO control a side later on in the game.
Apparently the British have some special events that happen when they're to PO, therefore they need to be set to PO when the game begins.
I would surmise, then, that the Germans do not have any special PO only events and, therefore, the Germans do not have to begin the game as the PO.
Therefore, if playing as the Brits vs. the Germans, you don't need to have the Brits set up as the PO for it to work correctly.
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Weird.

It's got me curious though so I think I will go through the events to see what's going on.

Thanks.

Best wishes,
Veers

Post by Veers »

It's got me curious though so I think I will go through the events to see what's going on.
Awesome. Let us know. :D
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Yes. It sets up the British units on turn one by changing the formation orders (Advance, Attack etc ... limit losses, ignore losses etc) and the objective tracks. It is a way of randomizing the behaviour of the British PO.

The problem is the wording in the introduction. It reads as though you must let the computer play the British first turn. In fact, you can ignore that if you playing PBEM, you can ignore that if you are playing the British against a German PO, and you can ignore that if you are playing the Germans against a British PO (well, not exactly ignore it but you will have it set up to play the British PO anyway).

The only occasion when you might(?!) need to ensure that the British PO was set up correctly would be, as you say, if you intend to play some of the game in hotseat mode and then change to let the computer play the British side. In this case, you might(?!) need to let the computer play the British PO on the first turn.

However, if it is truly one's intention to play part of the scenario in hotseat mode, then the randomizing of the British formations might well be inappropriate. In short, I can't think of any legitimate reason for putting that instruction in the introduction. As far as I can tell, it's only purpose is to confuse people. And some of us are confused enough as it is. [:)]

Best wishes,
Veers

Post by Veers »

Yes. It sets up the British units on turn one by changing the formation orders (Advance, Attack etc ... limit losses, ignore losses etc) and the objective tracks. It is a way of randomizing the behaviour of the British PO.
The problem is the wording in the introduction. It reads as though you must let the computer play the British first turn. In fact, you can ignore that if you playing PBEM, you can ignore that if you are playing the British against a German PO, and you can ignore that if you are playing the Germans against a British PO (well, not exactly ignore it but you will have it set up to play the British PO anyway).
The only occasion when you might(?!) need to ensure that the British PO was set up correctly would be, as you say, if you intend to play some of the game in hotseat mode and then change to let the computer play the British side. In this case, you might(?!) need to let the computer play the British PO on the first turn.
However, if it is truly one's intention to play part of the scenario in hotseat mode, then the randomizing of the British formations might well be inappropriate. In short, I can't think of any legitimate reason for putting that instruction in the introduction. As far as I can tell, it's only purpose is to confuse people. And some of us are confused enough as it is. [:)]
Best wishes,
Yeah, the wording of it was poor. :D Good job.
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

Pinned this to the top. I don't have an exact release date, but we're getting closer to releasing 3.2, so people should sign in if they're interested in learning something new.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
Veers

Post by Veers »

Excellent. Thanks Ralph. The link to the sign in page over at Gamesquad is at the top.

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”