early impressions

Armchair generals and fans of grand strategy can take their turns building great empires or protecting the world from tyranny during these pivotal moments in world history. In addition to nation-level trade and diplomatic concerns, you are tasked with managing region and city-level projects, choosing the right technologies to research, directing military movement and development, conducting international diplomacy, maintaining domestic stability and producing resources vital to making everything else possible. No two games of Making History II: The War of the World will be the same as there are an unlimited number of ways to achieve your goals. The choices you make determine the history of your nation. Whether that history will speak of a liberator or a conqueror is up to you!
budd

early impressions

Post by budd »

I remember eyeing this title when it was coming out, but the reviews and forum chatter were not that flattering at the time, so it kind of drifted off my radar.
i noticed the price drop and was looking for something new[like i don't have enough to play]so started to look at some info and new reviews on the game, apparently the dev stayed with it. I downloaded the demo[50 turn demo] and between starting and stopping games and reading the manual i decided to jump and purchased the game.

I'm 80 turns in playing the US out of over 600 turns and yes you can play past that apparently but the tech tree isnt built for that. 80 turns isnt that far in, using weekly turns. Anyone familar with civilization will be right at home, I stopped playing civ after 3. It develops a little slower than civ, which is fine with me. I'm playing the German question scenario which starts in 1933,i'm in mid 34 and have yet to engage in any wars but have been plenty busy building my economy and infrastructure and making my plans for semi-global domination[Mexico is first in late 35]. So far i've been turned down for an alliance by Canada, got caught spying on Mexico and have sold arms to dubious nations involved in small wars for quick cash,i payed for an internal propaganda government program to keep the peoples spirits up, i've been in debt to the tune of 1.8 billion and in the black at 800 million while i try to balance what i want to what i can pay for[coal&metal rule early].

What really sticks out to me is the interface and how easy it is to get the info you need. There are tool tips for everything. The info screens column headers are clickable to sort what you want to the top and you can click an item in one info box which will open another info box. As far as i can tell there is a clickable icon on all items, if clicked takes you to the entry in the encyclopedia be it a unit , a tech, or a building. For resources you can set stock pile amounts and then try to sell the rest on the world market or try to set up a trade with another nation,or if your short of a resource you buy on the open market. There's an info screen which gives the world supply and demand for nations of the world so you can try setup a trade with a needy nation[its 1934 not alot of nations have extra money].I could go on but all i'm saying is i really like the interface and the options open to me. The dev didn't let it die on the vine, but kept working on it. If you like civ type games, there's a current demo and its now priced at $20. your mileage may vary but in my opinion it's worth a look.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Jestre

RE: early impressions

Post by Jestre »

I just picked this game up recently and was very impressed with much about it. MHII far exceeded my expectations in depth and balance. The only drawback I found was that being a micro manager I would like to have seen fewer regions. As the game progresses and you gain more and more territory the management becomes somewhat of a bear. Also with fewer regions there would be less opportunity for the AI to do his suicide runs thru your regions as there would be better military coverage of all regions.

All in all though I found the game quite interesting and fun.
wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

I got some feedback but first want to say Im very disapointed how empty this forum is. Is this the forum supported by the devs?
Anyway here it goes.
This sequel has a wider and better economy engine than the first one. But sorry to say the AI cant handle it.
I started as USA in 1933 and by -35 England Canada and CCCP because of lack of money. Over 100.000.000 for some countries. Germany got same in early -40th as cherck and polacks was poping up again, claiming their independence.
Reason for the upricing is the deficite of income lower stability and party support. Germany had in 1940 17% support for the Fascist party, ending up with a Democratic Germany claimed Munchen as their capital. As For England India try to fall away. Russia on the other hand got their falloff of independants as after the fall pf CCCP in the end 20 centuary. Ending up with Russia needed independency.

Very good system for unrest I think but having AI falling apart so early because of they lacking economy skill. Having goods produced forl lowest income even while better economy can be achieved by higher income products.
It seams to be no triggers in the code for stop building troops if economy failing. No balance between costs and income at all. As troops, defencive, industry, resource extraction and research cost money.
When I played as Sweden I was the richest in the world by -35 and produced more metal than USA.
Now in 1940 (playing as USA) Germany still got ww1 tanks (sorry tank)2 fighter grp´s rather big Submarine fleet but with a minority Fascist party and continious upprising in the east. I see no danger from them.
Japan on the other hand doing a good job in China and (yes)in Africa. But their navy still got their Carriers they started with in -33. They have upgraded their Carrier fighters, but doing so they cant operate on CV´s. The Carrier based planes can be researched and built but as now(-40) they sailing with no air. They also got big minus money wise.

Im suprised by the AI Diplomacy, they got hardcoded DOW (declaration of war) related to when it happend in history. Like German DOW polen -39 or Russia DOW Finland -40. This combined with some random DOW not supported by by strenght of army, allied position and so forth. An example. I played as Germany from -33 and thought I smart to divide europe in 2 by make an Alliance with Austria and Italy in early -34. Got no troops building but was strenghten my economy and made reasearch a prio. Then suddenly in summer -34 Iatly DOW Great Brittain. 1934? Why? Italy was in same alliance in WW1 and was until the anchluss of Austria (in real life anyway) more neutral than a warmonger even thou they where Fascist. Ruined that session I say.
When I played as Sweden Italy declared war on Germany when Germany did their hardcoded attack on Austria. Actually Italy joined the Austria alliance when they got attacked.

This feels very random for me as the head of the Allience (Germany, as their where strongest) had nothing to say about the DOW or got a chance to jump ship to hinder a to early war entry.

I guess this game will work wonder when all majors being played by humans but as a solo game it will be a low challenge game. If hotseat can be implemented, well, I gonna play some more nations at the same time or even all the allied vs a human opponent in a multiplayer session. But I read something worrying about multiplayer, that it needs an extra program to be played. I havent tried that yet but Im in progress of persuading some friends to play it with me.

Well I hope for some responce from the Dev as I remember they did good response developing the first version.
cheers
SwedeWolf

I was called Lill Sputnik (Little sputnik) as a baby in 58-59
New York Jets

Post by New York Jets »

I was going through my old game downloads and found this game. It looks really nice. I'm going to play it awhile and post here.
"There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of 'em."

- Casey Stengel -

Return to “Making History II: The War of the World”