Re-basing Air units?

Armchair generals and fans of grand strategy can take their turns building great empires or protecting the world from tyranny during these pivotal moments in world history. In addition to nation-level trade and diplomatic concerns, you are tasked with managing region and city-level projects, choosing the right technologies to research, directing military movement and development, conducting international diplomacy, maintaining domestic stability and producing resources vital to making everything else possible. No two games of Making History II: The War of the World will be the same as there are an unlimited number of ways to achieve your goals. The choices you make determine the history of your nation. Whether that history will speak of a liberator or a conqueror is up to you!
redkraken

Re-basing Air units?

Post by redkraken »

So, I see you can re-base air units to carriers, but what about from one land base to another? Do they have to be built and kept on an airfield forever, or am I missing something really obvious? The "manual" was obviously no help...
Rosseau

RE: Re-basing Air units?

Post by Rosseau »

After taking China as Japan, I build airfields in every third region on the mainland (they are pretty cheap) and hopscotched my squadrons. I found no other way to get my existing AF within reach of interior Russia, who I will one day attack. But I'm not sure if that was your question or not.
redkraken

Post by redkraken »

How did you hop-scotch them? I've tried everything I can think of to get a squadron to actually move from one base to another - even next door - and there's no indication they can do so. Maybe they are just REALLY short ranged in 1933?

You did answer the most critical part of my question: that they can move at all; I just need to discover how that happens now...
Chris Bisson

Post by Chris Bisson »

Yes you can rebase them and it took some playing around to figure out that like rosseau says you need to have airbases that are within range to move there. 3 territories sounds about right I think. You cannot put fighters onto carriers unless they are specificly carrier type of fighters. Regular land based fighters will not base onto a carrier or at least I am unable to make it work. Land based fighters and carrier based fighters are treated as completely different weapon categories. I my game I have basic fighters (3rd level of upgrades to have basic fighters) and my carrier fighters are still 1st level bi-planes. They are researched with different technologies to advance levels.

I did actually upgrade one of my carrier based fighters to an all metal fighter (it became land based with the upgrade) and I could not land it back onto my carrier. Thats how I figured out alot of what I am talking about here. It must be a bug to be able to upgrade to a completely different weapon system. If it is a feature then I don't like it. Anyways... try making airbases that are closer together and you should be able to move your squadrons around.
What's with the negative waves?
Chris Bisson

Post by Chris Bisson »

ORIGINAL: TatteredKing

How did you hop-scotch them? I've tried everything I can think of to get a squadron to actually move from one base to another - even next door - and there's no indication they can do so. Maybe they are just REALLY short ranged in 1933?

You did answer the most critical part of my question: that they can move at all; I just need to discover how that happens now...

You can rebase them by selecting the unit and right clicking the destination airbase and one of your choices should say rebase, if not, then you may be too far away.
redkraken

Post by redkraken »

Excellent - I think those posts answer my core question. Much appreciated!

I must simply have very short-ranged air units in 1933, as there is no right-click functionality at ALL for any of my air units when I get over a base. The interface for this is really bad - it should at least be greyed-out so you know it's *possible*... I was afraid they had done something idiotic, like requiring permanent operational placement of air units at build time, but I'm relieved to know they can actually be moved. Damn biplanes...

Confusion like this would be avoided with a -proper manual- (stares balefully at the developers).

Anyway, thanks! The game does have promise, despite its many idiosyncrasies. I'll go poke at it some more and bang my head against something else for a bit. [;)]
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I should have mentioned I was using planes built in 1938. HOI3 Semper Fi is another game you might like, and they have good sales sometimes. It also has idiosyncrasies [:)]
Chris Bisson

Post by Chris Bisson »

I have been playing around with this game for a while now and I find that as planes get higher tech value they can fly farther away for missions and the airbases that used to be out of range are now in range. Of course building an airbase is easy enough and it only takes 5 turns. I am really enjoying this game.

Return to “Making History II: The War of the World”