Should I?

Armchair generals and fans of grand strategy can take their turns building great empires or protecting the world from tyranny during these pivotal moments in world history. In addition to nation-level trade and diplomatic concerns, you are tasked with managing region and city-level projects, choosing the right technologies to research, directing military movement and development, conducting international diplomacy, maintaining domestic stability and producing resources vital to making everything else possible. No two games of Making History II: The War of the World will be the same as there are an unlimited number of ways to achieve your goals. The choices you make determine the history of your nation. Whether that history will speak of a liberator or a conqueror is up to you!
Twotribes

Should I?

Post by Twotribes »

I play Hearts of Iron 3 with Semper Fi expansion. Will this game keep me interested? Anyone know?
Favoritism is alive and well here.
06 Maestro

RE: Should I?

Post by 06 Maestro »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

I play Hearts of Iron 3 with Semper Fi expansion. Will this game keep me interested? Anyone know?

HoI has a much more realistic military operations system, but MH has a much more realistic economics system. There is a MH demo- try it out.
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Bought the game but haven't played it yet.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

Bought the game but haven't played it yet.
Everybody makes mistakes,I have bought a few titles that I regretted after.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

If I can figure out the game it seems like it will be ok.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

HoI3 plus expansion is much more complex this making history 1 or 2. i been hearing alot of bad things about MH2, that is not as good as part 1, except the graphics.
Chris Bisson

Post by Chris Bisson »

If I can figure out the game it seems like it will be ok.

I agree. The manual is lousy. I am having a lot of fun with this game. The learning curve for me wasn't too bad. I am known to lose interrest fairly soon if I am not grasping something quickly enough. My 1st campaign was a test learning the ropes and I took over South America within a couple of years and moved onto removing Japan from the game as America. At that point I knew several things I would have done differently. The biggest thing on that list was that I wished I built up the economy of USA much more before getting physical.

So I resarted the exact same scenario (TGQ) as America and played for about 2 or 3 years not building much in the way of military units and concentrating on infrastructure and research. I had all my major cities inside the continental US to between 50 IPU and 135 IPU with RPU going through the roof, and by that time UK had asked me to join thier group of allies at least 6 or 7 times and help against the Germans and Itallians. They asked me many times and I was staying out of it to that point I think it was 1935 or 36 and my relations with them were strained (something like 230 or250) when I realised that they were quickly becoming enemies wich bothered me as I wanted to help them against the Germans and Italians. By that time Germany controlled all of France and Italy was running around Africa being a real pain for the allies I wanted to join. I tried and tried to ally with UK and they were denying me for several turns over and over. I had been buildin up my military for a while at that point and was a force looking for a scrap. France was part of the UK alliance and was basicly out of Europe at that point. If I had just landed in France I would be doing it as a conquerer, wich I didn't want to do. I had to bring UK around as an ally (since they were the alliance leader) If I wanted to do it as a liberator and reinstate France with her territory as I fought Germany for it back. UK was pretty steamed at me for not helping them while France was bein over run. I wasn't sure what to do. I assumed that if I declared war on Germany then maybe UK would relent and become my pal. So I attacked German ships and after a few turns UK agreed to an alliance. US became the alliance leader as the strongest power and I immediately landed large stacks of units in southern and northern and western France with my 3 large fleets in the Atlantic. In the span of about 15 turns I liberated France and controlled Germany, in another 5 or 6 turns I had all of Italy and Sicily. All the German and Italian territory became US territory. Belgium had taken several northern territories of Germany also. Now "The German Question" had been answered and it was only about 1936.... Up to this point USSR had been quiet. Japan was allied with Manchuria and were running all over central Asia. China was pretty much crushed. So I asked China if the wanted to be allies. They seemed eager and along with UK and France and a few other minors suddenly there were many more enemies in Asia for the Japanese war machine to fight with. China was liberated and Japan was conquered and Korea and Japan were now US territories. Manchuria was back in Chinese hands. I think it was 1938 at that point. The game was epic too... Suddenly the Russian Bear decided to grab Finland and the Baltic states over the next several turns. Well they probably didn't think it was important but I noticed the Fins were still in the game on a tiny island in the Baltic sea. You guessed right! I asked Finland for thier alliegance and naturally that put me and my allies at war with USSR. Story is getting long now.... My allies were many at this point. Many major powers went on the offensive against USSR....Now the USSR is Poland and China and USA territories. All the research is done. It is 1942 and I have jet fighters and bombers all over the place, massive fleets. and very large technologically advaced armies. I can make ICBM's if I chose to. There are no enemies left. There are no competitors, only countries that are strong are allies. I think the 2nd campaign went better. All in all it took about 2 weeks to play out. Some turns were 25 to 30 minutes of planning and managing infrastructure, many turns were less than 3 minutes. It is all up to you how in depth you want to micromanage things.
What's with the negative waves?

Return to “Making History II: The War of the World”