Editor Documentation

Post new mods and scenarios here.
Tom Proudfoot

Editor Documentation

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

Attached is a quick guide to the editor, for those of you who insist on editing things instead of playing them. [:'(]

I'll go over the various files/locations for more elaborate editing in the future.

Attachments
ScenarioE..ckGuide.zip
(10.11 KiB) Downloaded 495 times
Barthheart

RE: Documentation

Post by Barthheart »

Thanks Tom.
[8D]
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
Tom Proudfoot

RE: Editor Documentation

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

Updated doc with:

- Stuff I forgot off the bottom of the unit menu (I apparently got too excited after Patrol Groups and moved on).
- Custom map background instructions.
- Info on the limits to unit # and map size.

Attached here, not sure how to change the original.
Attachments
ScenarioEd..ckGuide.zip
(11.54 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
fran52

Post by fran52 »

This editor was what I wanted from this game.A lot of work to do.I must first learn in which way is possible to do new maps and than the LOS,the bigger work.
If you have already planned the future nationality,this game could became the Game of the Year with a lot of possible scenarios and life on the market.
I followed the development of the game since a lot of years,2007 if i remember correctly ,also sending mail to the main company to ask times expected to be developed.Some years ago I was resigned;this game will never be available[:(]. But now i'm very happy to have purchased it.
Thank you again
WilliePete

Post by WilliePete »

Tom, I love the game and have already played through everything. I'm pretty excited about diving into the editor and making some new scenarios! Please explain how to modify & add new units. Thanks!
- They That Sow The Wind, Shall Reap The Whirlwind -
fran52

Post by fran52 »

Question for Tom Proudfoot.I'm preparing the bitmap for a map greater than 2048X2048 pixel but within the limits described in the editor.
I have seen ,into the map editor,that is possible to set the dimension in hexagons.Must be set also the dimension in pixel?If yes,in which way?
Other question.What mean in some map background#1,background#2 and background#3?
And [and] used to rotate the map where can be found on an Italian keyboard?
fran52

Post by fran52 »

At least at this question a need an answer.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: acropora
At least at this question a need an answer.

Did you try alt-ctrl 8 and alt-ctrl 9? I dont know if these will work but worth a try.

Thanks
Rick
Tom Proudfoot

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

Sorry, I missed this. The map size in pixels is fixed at 1925x1237 of that 2048x2048. Map background #s are the same as shown on the map panels screen:

Code: Select all

4  6  9
 2  5  8
 1  3  7

(You can see in what order we increased the map sizes [:'(])

[ and ] are scancode 219 & 221, which if I remember correctly, should be the two keys to the right of P on your keyboard (US keyboard goes U I O P [ ] \ on that row).
fran52

Post by fran52 »

Thank you to all for the replay.Anyway,for what i have understood until now,when I do a big map ,combining at max.6 maps,each map must be 1925X1237 on a background of 2048X2048.If i do a map greater than 1925X1237 but inside the 2048,what happen?I lose the part in excess?
Again one question:when I open the map panel ,i see the map used to compose the big map,but the 2 last at the right of the screen are partially out of the screen.Which resolution of the screen must i use to avoid this?
fran52

Post by fran52 »

After re-reading of the editor manual i think to have the answer.
You speak about a maximum size of the map of 65x65 that mean,after some calculation,that the bitmap could be greater than 1925x1237 but inside 2048x2048..
Please confirm if this interpretation is right.
Last question(i hope):i tried the 4096X4096 size but i have not understood the utility.The black border remain again for one map in normal size(1925X1237).
fran52

Post by fran52 »

Last question(i hope):i tried the 4096X4096 size but i have not understood the utility.The black border remain again for one map in normal size(1925X1237).
Sorry Tom but for this a need an explanation.
For the other i have found the answer experimentally.
z1812

Post by z1812 »

It would be nice to have an editor tutorial.
fran52

Post by fran52 »

There is one ,you can find it in the post 3.The problem is that not all seem explained,particularly the method to work with the big maps.
Tom Proudfoot

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

As far as the game is concerned, all the map panels are 1925x1237 - the only reason the bitmaps are larger (2048x2048) is because some video cards freak out if they are not a certain size.

Anything outside 1925x1237 will be cut off. If you want a map larger than that, it needs to be on separate different bitmaps.
fran52

Post by fran52 »

Yes this is clear now,but there is also an option in the Row Map info that is 4096X4096.How work this option? I tried but the boundary is always for the 1925X1237.On the other hand you speak also on a max. size of 65X65 ex.in the Editor.
Another thing are the streams,they are present in some map but i have not found in the manual the cost to entry and any fire modifier.It is a forgetfulness or are on the map only for fineness?
Thank you for all explanations and patience Tom.
Tom Proudfoot

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

The 4096x4096 was as failed experiment on the Murmayev map, sorry for the confusion. We tried to get it on one bitmap but it just doesn't work for a lot of computers. I'll remove that button.

I was looking at the LOS code last night and I THINK anything over 25x43 will technically work but be pretty slow - there is a giant premade table that lists all the possible hexes and how LOS traces through them and in order to keep this table at a mere 50 megs, it only accounts for hexes in the 25x43 range. And from a quick look at the code (it was a while ago I did this) it looks like anything outside these boundaries up to the 65x65 max will fall back on the slower LOS traces, but should probably work - but, again, it could be unplayably slow.

Streams have no TM and are move foot 3, track 2, offroad 4, road 6. They are on the original LnL chart, they probably just got accidentally left out of the manual.

z1812

Post by z1812 »

ORIGINAL: acropora

There is one ,you can find it in the post 3.The problem is that not all seem explained,particularly the method to work with the big maps.

This is documentation not a tutorial.
fran52

Post by fran52 »

Thank you Tom ,is clear now,but one thing is not clear again.43X25 is the size of the six standard maps set up in the editor.But 65X65 in which way can be done ,since is out from the set up? Anyway is only a curiosity since you say that becomes unplayable.
Streams have no TM and are move foot 3, track 2, offroad 4, road 6. They are on the original LnL chart, they probably just got accidentally left out of the manual.
Probably are left from the manual also the ponds and the rivers.I think that this terrain is prohibited.

Thank you again
fran52

Post by fran52 »

This is documentation not a tutorial.
What do you mean for tutorial?In my opinion in the post 3 there is a tutorial.Reading this you are able to produce map and scenario.
Is only a draft,not a complete tutorial but useful.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”