Gameplay Results Survey

Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets is the latest strategy title from the award-winning team at Strategic Studies Group. A synthesis of the very best elements of two critically acclaimed and top-rated game systems, Decisive Battles and Battlefront, and a successor to both, the new Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets brings to life a campaign of epic scale and dynamic battles on the Eastern Front of World War II.
emcgman

Gameplay Results Survey

Post by emcgman »

This is kind of a survey question, but feel free to leave brief comments as well.

We are looking for a rough counting of the how many play this game, and have played it from both sides and beat the AI from both sides. This is in order to get an idea of how much gameplay there actually is in this one scenario.

Try to post only once in this thread so we can more easily count the player stats.

Here is the question:

Please state how many times (to your best knowledge) you have played from both sides before you were able to beat the AI from each side. Please include your gameplay style; ie, do you play straight through, or do you play a turn then replay the turn if it turns out badly. Please include what level of difficulty you have played on. If you have completed email PvP games feel free to include those results as well.

Please also post even if you have only played from one side along with your results.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to a fun thread.
JudgeDredd

RE: Gameplay Results Survey

Post by JudgeDredd »

Sorry - but I've only just got back to this game. I couldn't possibly remember how many times I played or what the outcomes were or the AI levels. I do know I lost alot and I'm sure that was on the basic AI level.

My play style is never to "restart" or replay a turn...just straight through. Sorry if that isn't specific enough for you, but I felt I should replay to give what feedback I could.
Alba gu' brath
TargAK

Post by TargAK »

I just started playing Kharkov but purchased it when it came out [:D]

I was waiting for more scenarios to come out and lost track of the game. Just started a ATD2 game so I will have to update this post much later :)
emcgman

Post by emcgman »

Yeah Judge, that's the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

Targ, this also what I'm looking for, is players who might not even play the game after purchase.

emcgman

Post by emcgman »

For myself, I've played the game a few times as Russians and have won once. This was with a partial replay gamestyle where I would re-do a turn if it turned out badly. I did this maybe a few times, especially toward the end.

As the Germans, I'm basically slaughtered by turn 3. Still trying to set up a decent beginning game strategy for the Germans, where the Russians don't over run everything.
MrLongleg

Post by MrLongleg »

I played as the Germans twice without replay. The first time I lost marginally, the second time I had an overwhelming victory. Computer was always Computer+.

Now I am playing the Russians (again Computer+ opponent) and it does not look so good, although I just took Kharkov in turn 11. But in Izyum I am getting beaten up badly by the Germans. Basically my complete southern front is toast.
MrLongleg

Life is too short to drink bad wine ;-)
hank

Post by hank »

I've played ~3 games as Axis against the AI (set to the recommnended level) with both AO's set to historic.  The first couple of games I lost.  Barely missed the draw one time.  The other ~6 games I played as Axis with replacements +1 for Axis to offset the slaughtering handed out by the Soviets over the first three turns with that devastating artillery. All these games had the AO for the Soviets set to historic or one of the variants BUT, my AO's were turned off.  A little over half those games I got a marginal victory except 2 or 3 were draws.  I've never got an overwhelming victory as Axis (but I got close a couple of times - and remember this is all from memory so take the results with a grain of salt).  (I have another game unfinished going from the Axis side that's headed for a marginal victory on turn 13~ I think.)

I played Soviet a couple of games against the AI with Axis set to the recommended level; all other settings normal and AO's set to Historic.  I got a draw once and lost once. I felt like I could do better with the Soviets but never got around to playing from that side much ... maybe I'll try one or two from the Soviet side now with the new 1.2 engine.

I played one PBEM as Soviet against Joe with historic AO and everything else set to default (I think).  I lost that one barely.  I had a draw until the last turn when Joe threw everything at me and pulled out a marginal victory.  That "bottom of the ninth inning" curse got me.  He normally would not leave units at the end of the turn in the condition he did after numerous assaults with all kinds of odds, but heck, he had nothing to worry about since it was the last turn.  (there's an AAR hidden around here somewhere on that game)

I now never replay a turn, even agains the AI.  I did a few times during the first few games but I figured I was in learning mode.  My philosophy is to not replay a turn because you need to learn to recover from mistakes ... that will inevitably happen (especially in PBEM games).
Talos Run5

Post by Talos Run5 »

Have played the AI from both sides initially at the historical AO's and computer +1 i lost my first game as the Soviets and i won my first Axis game. Now the AI has to be set to Max to give me a game otherwise i will win with an OW victory at the +1 setting its getting to between 3,000 - 5,000 VP's for my victory margin depending on the side. I play straight through.

Most of my games are now PvP where apart from my first couple of games i think i have won everyone certainly in the resent past that has been the case.
"There is only one decisive victory: the last." (Karl von Clausewitz)
JD Walter

Post by JD Walter »

ORIGINAL: emcgman

Please state how many times (to your best knowledge) you have played from both sides before you were able to beat the AI from each side. Please include your gameplay style; ie, do you play straight through, or do you play a turn then replay the turn if it turns out badly. Please include what level of difficulty you have played on. If you have completed email PvP games feel free to include those results as well.

I have played Kharkov 11 times pvp, always as the Russians.

I have played the AI, but only to learn the new system. Once I was familiar with it, I moved on to ftf play.

Normal difficulty (no advantages for either side). Play one turn, then e-mail it to my opponent for resolution and return.
DampSquib

Post by DampSquib »

Only brought a while ago.....Still playing tutorials.

I shall redo if & when i get any further.

Slower than a three legged tortoise....bah i suck,
Getting there...ish.
Still trying...Not giving in.

Still trying...as of Last post 5/10/2010......Uhhh carn't win a game.

Woohoo a win as the russians...err lost count how many times i tried.

Return to “Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets”