SSG Wargames - Where to start?

Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets is the latest strategy title from the award-winning team at Strategic Studies Group. A synthesis of the very best elements of two critically acclaimed and top-rated game systems, Decisive Battles and Battlefront, and a successor to both, the new Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets brings to life a campaign of epic scale and dynamic battles on the Eastern Front of World War II.
Lipa

SSG Wargames - Where to start?

Post by Lipa »

Hi all!

I've been playing SP:WaW for a loooong time. Then I switched to TOAW and Advanced Tactics, and like them much as well.

But now I'm getting more and more interested in the SSG line of games as well - KP, BiN, BiI, BF, AtD... From the screenshots and reviews they seem something I would like.

My question, however, is simply where to start? If I understand correctly, the basic mechanics are the same for the entire series of the games, right? Or are there any larger differences? Which game would you suggest to start with, considering that so far I have no idea about the system and the mechanics, so I have plenty of learing to do.

I'm writing here in this forum simply because this is the last game in the series, but by no means it should be the one to pick up first. So I would just like to get some general thoughts and suggestions about the series, so that I can choose the first game soon. I'm sure that if I like it, the others will follow eventually. :)

Thanks,

Lipa
TheWombat_matrixforum

RE: SSG Wargames - Where to start?

Post by TheWombat_matrixforum »

Actually, I would start with Kharkov. It's the most highly evolved version of the SSG game 'system' and is the basis for ongoing development. As a plus, sometime relatively soon there will be a very nice/large add-on coming out.

Of the earlier products, Battles in Italy is very good and, while similar to the Kharkov system, has a few nuances of its own. Generally I think the current iteration is better, but I still fire up BII to play some of the battles. You can also get a snazzy version of The Ardennes Offensive for BII as well (IIRC).

Battlefront is a different scale and plays out quite differently. It's good, but it doesn't have the level of support from players or the commitment to further development that the current game has. It's worthwhile in many ways but might not be financially as good an investment.
ORIGINAL: Lipa

Hi all!

I've been playing SP:WaW for a loooong time. Then I switched to TOAW and Advanced Tactics, and like them much as well.

But now I'm getting more and more interested in the SSG line of games as well - KP, BiN, BiI, BF, AtD... From the screenshots and reviews they seem something I would like.

My question, however, is simply where to start? If I understand correctly, the basic mechanics are the same for the entire series of the games, right? Or are there any larger differences? Which game would you suggest to start with, considering that so far I have no idea about the system and the mechanics, so I have plenty of learing to do.

I'm writing here in this forum simply because this is the last game in the series, but by no means it should be the one to pick up first. So I would just like to get some general thoughts and suggestions about the series, so that I can choose the first game soon. I'm sure that if I like it, the others will follow eventually. :)

Thanks,

Lipa
pvthudson01

Post by pvthudson01 »

I think that Korsun Pocket has the best learning curve. I always say to start with that but I have not tried Kharkov
Matrix Member since 2003!
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

As a game engine, Kharkov is the best in the series.

Whilst all the games are similair Kharkov has the most number of short cuts and "F" keys to provide information quickly.

The same information is available long hand but it is slow and tedious.

-

hank

Post by hank »

I would have to ditto Joe.  Kharkhov would be a better choice IMHO.

KP, BiN, and BiI are predecessors to K:DotD and I doubt any further development will be forthcoming. BiI has many user scenarios but I speculate most BiI players are migrating to K:DotD and future user created scenarios will no longer happen.  Plus, a big expansion pack is soon to come out.  ... see other threads

I left Battlefront off that list because its a different scale.  And alas, with sorrow I've read on the forums further development on BF will also stop.  IMHO BF has great potential to be a different type of wargame from K:DotD because of its scale, supply model and (what I like most) the capability for ranged direct fire (i.e. shooting across 2 or more hexes with the higher velocity AT guns (88's, 76, 6 pounders, etc.) ... much like the HPS Panzer Campaign series.
my 2 cents it is
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

Well I think you can't go wrong w/ Battles in Italy - there is quite a variety of great scenarios availble for BII. BII is I think a more traditional type operational level game. Kharkov would be my 2nd choice, and it has a more of a grand tactical or even tactical feel to me. Kharkov looks better imo. There aren't nearly as many scenarios for Kharkov but I think everyone is hoping that more will be created.

In any case you should check out the ssg web site and the downloadable scenario lists and discussion forums there for more info.
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
Lipa

Post by Lipa »

Thanks for all the feedback!

Well I bought both BiI and Kharkov, and they both look great. Did the tutorials, read some info, and now I'm slowly getting in. However, at the moment I'm still finding Kharkov a bit too overwhelming - too many units. :) So for now I've been mostly playing the Husky campaign in BiN, which is far more managable for me at this point. But I'm sure that I'll switch over to Kharkov too, as soon as I get more feeling for the game.

Anyway, Great Games! So glad to get them finally.

Cheers!
TheWombat_matrixforum

Post by TheWombat_matrixforum »

The Husky campaign is a good one, and fun to play. A good place to start.
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
EisenHammer

Post by EisenHammer »

HI[:D]

Return to “Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets”