JTCS 1.05beta DAR: ** On Familiar Ground

Post descriptions and reports of your brilliant successes and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderator: Jason Petho

lecrop

RE: JTCS 1.05beta DAR: ** On Familiar Ground

Post by lecrop »

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

I am trying to say something about the new version in each of my posts, but was struggling to think of something. But here we are: Extreme Fog of War! Extreme Fog of War has now been made a tad more difficult with the new version. "Unknown firing at unknown" is pretty much all the information I get at this stage [8D]
Well, I think it would be better something more poetic, like "You hear distant gunfire, breaking the terrifying silence, between the morning mist..." [:D]
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: lecrop

Well, I think it would be better something more poetic, like "You hear distant gunfire, breaking the terrifying silence, between the morning mist..." [:D]

Not a bad idea. Well worth posting to the MCS User WISHLIST thread? [;)]
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Turn 4

Turn 4. Things are heating up a tad too much. I really must extend the map some 4-6 hexes to North,to allow for a build up. As things are, even as the Soviet player appears to have immediately begun a withdrawal to south of river on his western flank, he is almost caught out in the river crossing.

What's new? How about highlighting Warhorse's new terrain mod: Realistic Water Hexes Mod. While I just made the name up, the mod is very real, and is to be packed into mods folder of the version. While the 2D views will remain clear and crisp for terrain observation, the 3D views can now enjoy this beautigul greenish blue water. Beautiful innit? Mind, it is still night on this scenario, so the colors do not show up.

Attachments
ofg_dar_t4.jpg
ofg_dar_t4.jpg (189.74 KiB) Viewed 277 times
---
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

[&o][&o][&o]
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Turn 4

Turn 4. Things are heating up a tad too much. I really must extend the map some 4-6 hexes to North,to allow for a build up. As things are, even as the Soviet player appears to have immediately begun a withdrawal to south of river on his western flank, he is almost caught out in the river crossing.

Yes, back to the drawing board it was! I like my scenarios to have tactical options available to players, and with that in mind extending the map was the only option to take.

Here she is +2 hexes wide and +4 hexes tall. Quite a difference with lots of more room for deployment in the North, compared to the starting point don't you think:

The Vuoksi waterway running diagonally from Northwest to Southeast is quite an obstacle. Good luck in crossing that in future battles! Or holding it, depending which side you take.

This ends the DAR at least for now. Hopefully it gave you a glimpse of things to come, and also maybe it encourages those of you who yet have not tried out the Editors to have a go at creating a scenario of your own.

Lots of good information around to assist the scenario designer, some pointers provided here hopefully of use to you.

Attachments
ofg_dar_t5.jpg
ofg_dar_t5.jpg (196.07 KiB) Viewed 278 times
---
CaptainHuge

Post by CaptainHuge »

ORIGINAL: berto

Right, EF Scenario Editor next

While Berto already presented this in his coder diary, here it is: the new Scenario Header Dialog. It has changed somewhat, and requires the new Turn and Visibility format for that information.

Redoing old dialog boxes is no fun. Microsoft Visual Studio (the development environment I use) has a Resource Editor, for designing and tweaking dialog boxes and other UI elements. But it is cumbersome to use, and it fails to deliver the power one really needs. So sooner or later one has to exit the Resource Editor and edit the generated .rc files by hand -- in order to fine tune the graphics, but also to add per-game customizations by means of '#if defined(<game>)' directives, so that for example Allies/Axis show in the CS games while Side A/Side B show in the MW games. But one must be careful to Remove the resource from VS first and Add it back after the external hand editing session. Otherwise, VS complains that the resource was "opened in another editor" and refuses to recognize the resource! (An obscure work-around is then needed for the fix.) Another gotcha: If you employ the Resource Editor on a .rc file, it strips that file of any '#if defined(<game>)' customizations! [:@]
Hi Berto, I am not sure what language you are working in, but one thing you can do in C++ with Visual Studio is use two static labels and hide/show the appropriate one based on what version of game you are running. In the class supporting the dialog, use something like GetDlgItem(IDC_ALLIES_LABEL)->ShowWindow(version == JTCS? SW_SHOW : SW_HIDE); in the DoDataExchange function.

I wish I could help more, but unfortunately, I don't have any time to devote to JTCS.
Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Scenario available for download at The Blitz Scenario Database.

Do check my other Arctic Front scenarios as well. Comments and feedback always welcomed [:)]
---

Return to “After Action Reports”