Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER WISH LIST

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

Jason Petho

RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER WISH LIST

Post by Jason Petho »

are divisional insignias out of the question?

Yes, they are.
XLVIIIPzKorp

Post by XLVIIIPzKorp »

Jason, a quick question from an old grog that remembers the ASDN patch.

Whatever happened to including the modified retreat of armor. Specifically if a vehicle was forced to retreat due to enemy fire, the vehicle would, after retreat, readjust their facing so their frontal armor faced the direction of the fire. I always thought that was one of the best aspects of the patch. I know other aspects such as units sometimes remaining hidden after fire have been incorporated a while ago. Is there any chance of implementing the vehicle retreat aspect?
Lysus

Post by Lysus »

That made me laugh. Give me -basecell3d value "99999", and I'll make it happen. Let me dust off the ol'photoshop!
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

That made me laugh. Give me -basecell3d value "99999", and I'll make it happen. Let me dust off the ol'photoshop!

We have for East Front III, but I have burned through nearly all the ID's for Germany already since we've made it so there are separate bases for the following: Luftwaffe, DAK, SS, Wehrmacht and GD.
Lysus

Post by Lysus »

Just seeing the multiple bases on the same map is going to be epic in it's own right. I've looked over some of the OOB's you've posted, and it's like reading Nafziger, it's a beautiful thing. A+
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Thank you, Lysus!

Of course, there are some issues with Nafziger, but was definitely a good starting point for the OOB's!
ruppert29

Post by ruppert29 »

Couple of wishlist suggestions, one of which might have been mentioned.

1) Could we have a compass heading on the maps? I like that I can rotate a map which came in handy when the scenario description said Axis was driving to the south but all the units and enemies were on the northern part of the map.
2) Really wish Find org was better highlighted so i could straighten out my supply chain. Some of the units are at the bottom of a stack of units and can barely see them.
3) different colors for divisions and/or regiments
4) really difficult for the spanish civil war scenarios when the color the nationals and republic units were too close to same color
ruppert29

Post by ruppert29 »

I would like the EXCELLENT shading for highlighting movement or visibility. Found it in the East Front scenario Into the Night. I am tired of shading like light gray on white, light yellow on green, darker tan on tan, this really stands out and makes it much much clearer. Maybe allow option to change shading. Would attach a png but I do not see attaching option
Fierce

Post by Fierce »

I've been away from the JTCS games for many years now, busy putting kids through college, and am circling back! That's what's awesome, it's timeless.
I just saw this thread and hope it's still active cause I really would like a couple of things changed. It made my day!!!!

I highly agree with everything above with 2 important changes that I didn't see mentioned.

1. Please stop leaders and non-combat units from preventing a retreat when a unit is assaulted and make it more realistic and cut down on captures.
If a leader or truck etc. circles around just for this purpose it should be subject to capture allowing an assaulted unit access to that hex.
This should also apply to a lone leader used in the assault from an opposing hex. That hex should still be a viable retreat hex.
Even stationary units like empty bicycles, motorcycles, etc. in an adjacent hex should not block a retreat.
Some players game the system this way. When was the last time a lone leader fended off a retreating platoon?

2. Leaders should be subject to op-fire just like any other combat unit when it's alone and moving through empty hexes. Let me count the times I could have picked these leaders off as they went by.

Just my 2c worth.

After all these years I still love the old tactical games.
ruppert29

Post by ruppert29 »

Another wishlist concerns scenario suggestion, we need more 'important' battles to show up in the picks. I am working my thru the East Front scenarios and it is disappointing that the really historic scenarios are skipped over or only touched briefly. First days of Barbarossa, Smolensk, Dvina, Kiev, Bryansk, Leningrad, Moscow, Crimea, Kharkov, Rostov, Stalingrad, Kursk need more. The inclusion of Rumanian, Finnish other minor allies is good for inclusion but we need more meet. Maybe mods could up the scenario selections.
fritzfarlig

Post by fritzfarlig »

that looks good
edward77

Post by edward77 »

Just checking progress on EFIII. I notice there is no mention of scenario designers wish list. Map creation can be very tedious and time consuming. Could I start the ball rolling by asking for a transparent template map similar to Order of Battle or Panzer Corps.
seanny

Post by seanny »

I was curious too about ETA of these reworked East,West Front games?

terminator

Post by terminator »

ORIGINAL: edward77

Just checking progress on EFIII. I notice there is no mention of scenario designers wish list. Map creation can be very tedious and time consuming. Could I start the ball rolling by asking for a transparent template map similar to Order of Battle or Panzer Corps.
As in Germany at War also:

Attachments
2582EAB06D..34A4EA86.jpg
2582EAB06D..34A4EA86.jpg (548.08 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

We don't have an ETA yet on the East Front III 1939-1941, the first of the World War II series.

We do have a release date for Campaign Series Vietnam 1948-1967, which is January 20th, 2022.

insidius

Post by insidius »

Is Campaign Series Vietnam going to use the same engine as the current Campaign Series games?
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

No, it is not, it is vastly different than the current JTCS games.

Take a look at the manual and check out Section 6.2 to see all the improvements we've been doing.

The manual is definitely worth a read!
Rake

Re: RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER WISH LIST

Post by Rake »

rmmwilg wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:03 pm 1) Please, pretty please... for the love of all that's holy, please(!)...Double-time effects should not happen until unit actually moves as such!
YES! In triplicate! It is so frustrating to count movement factors and think that you can reach a hex, only to find that you've miscounted by one point, or missed a hedge, or a wall... I know that, IRL, you can't possibly know how far you can reach in X amount of time, but to be prohibited from moving 250 meters due to 1 or 2% of the total movement allowance is frustrating. Please allow us to use the "H" hot key before accepting the double-time penalty.
fritzfarlig wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:59 pm 1, different color on org.
This would be really nice, if possible. The "Z" hot key is nice, but if units come in spread all over the map, it's easy to miss one and send it off the wrong way
fritzfarlig wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:59 pm 2. A retreated tank don’t turn around but driving reverse
This, along with a reverse movement, would make this game nearly perfect. Add 10-20 MP's or a percentage to the cost of the terrain being entered. It would add a lot to the use of the Armor Facing OR.
Rake

Re: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER WISH LIST

Post by Rake »

Thought of another thing that's popped into mind over the last few times playing JTCS... Stealthy Movement

At a cost of all movement points, allow leg (and, possibly recon, i.e., ac's, etc.) units the chance to move into a covered hex without being spotted. The chance should be modified by the unit's size, range to enemy, type of enemy unit, etc. This would help defenders with setting up ambushes; offensively, it would help with recon.

I saw something recently on the Vietnam forum about Slow Time to help against mine/IED attacks, so I would think this should be doable...

Going back to my previous post, I understand why a different color on different organizations might not be possible. It would mess with the coloring of differing unit types in 2D. Still, a more obvious way to identify organizations would be helpful... maybe adding another pixel to the width of the highlight?

I really love the changes I see coming to CSVN and ME. I wish these locations/time frames were enjoyable for me but, they're just not. I've never enjoyed desert or jungle warfare all that much. I rarely play Rising Sun, nor do I play the North Africa scenarios in WF. Please, please, please... finish the upgrades to ME/VN and get back to work on the new East Front game.

I cannot recall the number of times I've upgrade my computer to try out the newest and hottest game. Since 1997, East Front has been on my computer (and Battleground before that). I keep coming back, because IMHO, CS is the best wargame ever coded.

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”