Fall Gelb/Netherlands map draft

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: Ronald Wendt

Ronald Wendt

Fall Gelb/Netherlands map draft

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi folks,

there is an attachment in this post that contains a draft of map of the Netherlands. It contains cities(positioned but nameless), the coastal form, important roads and rivers. Still need a lot of work. I stopped working on this map as it showed the limits of our current river system and priorities switched.

You can use it anyway you want, i am happy if somebody could still make use of it.

Regards,
Attachments
FallGelb..ands.scn.zip
(17.14 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Ronald Wendt

RE: Fall Gelb/Netherlands map draft

Post by Ronald Wendt »

...and here is the preview graphics as shown in the panel:

Attachments
FallGelbNetherlands.jpg
FallGelbNetherlands.jpg (28.1 KiB) Viewed 424 times
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi Ronald,

The limits of the current river system are

- only one type of river connection,
- a limited number of river mouths.

So the delta of the river as it is misses the right types of terrain and you get an error message when loading the game.

Since a ''not so accurate'' map is better than no map at all, and not much will happen in the delta anyway, here is a quick fix making the map little less accurate but eliminating the errors.

The northern part of the delta was made as a separate little river, not very logical but the only thing that can be done with the existing river connections. It is still an obstacle to the advancing German forces.

The middle part of the delta eliminated altogether because there is no river mouth configuration for the map as it is, and the Dutch will hold the line behind the third river, not the second.

The southern part changes its course and becomes not so geographically accurate but now it falls into the sea and has a river mouth. The coastline has also been slightly modified - that was the only way I could make the editor draw the river mouth I need.

Now the General Staff can start planning invasion of the Netherlands and Belgium and the Dutch and Belgians need to get ready for defense.
Attachments
Fall Gelb ..ands.scn.zip
(21.54 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
The art of war is simple and esay to understand but fighting a war is hard.
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

The modified picture

Or you can keep only the northern part of the Rhine and get rid of the delta altogether - the German attack is parallel to the river and there were no major battles in the delta so it can as well be left out.
Maas/Meuse could be added to the map, as the Germans would have to cross it, and Brussels would benefit from a river in front of it.

Maps of this level can leave out some details if they are not important for the scenario. In Riga scenario one of three largest rivers of Latvia (the Venta in Courland) is not shown at all. Unlike 1919 when Lenin's army was stopped on this river, it played no role whatsoever in 1941 or 1944 so it could as well be left out.
Attachments
Fall Gelb ..herlands.jpg
Fall Gelb ..herlands.jpg (8.95 KiB) Viewed 423 times
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

There are names for cities in the German version so they can also be used for the English version with some changes like Cologne, The Hague etc. Only one city did not have a name. For the time being I name it Utrecht.

Also checked the ownership of bridges and gave most of them to the Allies.

Depending on what weapons the Allies have in the new version, this could become a ''Western front appetizer'' scenario, at least with French placeholders.

Alpha v.0.2 without the Rhine delta, still need to find out where the Meuse flows. It starts east of Maastricht and then flows north towards the Rhine. If no other course is possible it could also fall into the Rhine at some point. Only the part that stands in the way of the advancing Germans matters.
Attachments
Fall Gelb ..ands.scn.zip
(21.56 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi AngrySwan,

nice to see you have some use for this. As for the restrictions of the river system: It's true that this is not that a big deal. I might add the missing pieces in a later update, depending on how life goes on.
The French should already have all to form a basic force with all element in your preview version.
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi Ronald,

Meuse added, it starts from Maastricht and goes all the way to the sea, the end looking like the southern part of the delta in the original map.

Time for some forestation and after that I could look at the OOBs. By the way, do you have a half-done Ardennes map by any chance?
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

ORIGINAL: AngrySwan

By the way, do you have a half-done Ardennes map by any chance?

Sorry, i haven't - its the only time i did a map for the west. That might change once Soviet Dawn is finished.
terminator

Post by terminator »

ORIGINAL: Ronald Wendt

The French should already have all to form a basic force with all element in your preview version.
I too wait for it !
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Added Meuse and fixed the terrain problems in the delta. The editor does not give error messages now.
Added city names in both languages, Added name to Utrecht. Limburg is now Roermond.
There are bridges over the Meuse and they have the correct nationality. In this game, the flag of the side is ''block/alliance'' rather than ''nationality'' so there is one Western Alliance flag instead of two - Belgian and Dutch.

This map covers the Netherlands and the north of Belgium, so at least one third of the Fall Gelb can be made.

The map still needs forests (the easiest part) and units, then there will be time for invasion.
Attachments
FallGelb..herlands.zip
(21.83 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi AngrySwan,

nice work so far ! Will be nice to play this one.
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi Ronald,

Now it is time to start planning Fall Gelb, at least the part covering the Netherlands/Belgium part. If you ever make another campaign, can I suggest it is Fall Gelb?

I would also be interested in Vienna and Prague scenarios from the Soviet campaign as well as Warsaw ad Warsaw North.

The Murmansk map seems to be playable now - I guess from now on I will spend more time on modding, not just playing.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi AngrySwan,

If you ever make another campaign, can I suggest it is Fall Gelb?

The next things i have in mind with GaW is making maps of the Western scenarios (which includes central Europe like Poland and the Balkans), but only the landscape for a start. I will post the results in this forum over time.
I will have limited time so i do not know where this leads in the end. Maybe some single maps, maybe a big 1939 campaign. It depends on too many things to predict anything at this point.

I would also be interested in Vienna and Prague scenarios from the Soviet campaign as well as Warsaw ad Warsaw North.

The Murmansk map seems to be playable now - I guess from now on I will spend more time on modding, not just playing.

You mean interested as in i should post them here ? If so, do you need them with units and victory conditions or just the landscape ?

Just let me know.

AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi Ronald,

You can post them here as they are, I can take off what I do not need.

This is what we would need for 1939-1941:

- Poland North (Eastern Prussia, Warsaw, Modlin, partly done)
- Poland South (Schlesien - Lodz - Warsaw, that partly done)
- if possible, Soviet - German border of 1941, Suvalki to Brest-Litovsk (for AGC border crossing in 1941)

(we have Netherlands)
- Meuse crossing/Ardennes
- Sedan
- Dunkirk encirclement
- Maginot line
- Oslo? (we do not have ships but it is possible to do ''virtual landing'' - you start with some units on the ground/airbornes, then conquer a victory location and then reinforcements arrive)

- Belgrade
- Northern Greece
- Athens
- Benghazi to Egyptian border

The minimum for 1939 campaign would be 2 maps, one for each army group, and maybe another for the fall of Warsaw, depending how large the maps are.

Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi AngrySwan,

currently i have only a draft of northern Poland, nothing else and i cannot make any promises.

But the list looks appealing [;)].

As to ships & amphibious stuff: the rules are already in the game and also some 3d models in different stages exist for a basic naval set. So if we ever reach the scenarios that call for such things it could be done "properly".

But all in good time.

The attachment contains Prague, Vienna and Warzaw as they are in the Soviet Dawn campaign.
Attachments
ViennaPragueWarzaw.zip
(36.12 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”