Soviet Dawn Beta Test Ausf. E

Germany At War: Operation Barbarossa 1941 is an elegant turn-based design, inspired by classics such as Panzer General, but with more of a historical focus. You command the German forces through a branching historical campaign covering the entire 1941 campaign as well as part of the 1942 campaign. Dozens of scenarios stretch from the Soviet border all the way to Archangel and towards Astrakhan, the original military goals of Operation Barbarossa. Step into a wargame where your performance will rewrite history, through an addictive combination of compelling gameplay, realistic events and challenging battles.

Moderator: Ronald Wendt

terminator

RE: Soviet Dawn Beta Test Ausf. E

Post by terminator »

ORIGINAL: AngrySwan

The Soviets also formed mixed mechanized and cavalry forces and, unlike Germans, they had more than one cavalry division.

Soviet Cavalry Div. in Prague 1945:

Attachments
Prague1945Cav.jpg
Prague1945Cav.jpg (269.48 KiB) Viewed 503 times
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Some impressive kill lists.

Do you have a picture of your force by the end of 1945? I guess there is some heavy armor in it.
The art of war is simple and esay to understand but fighting a war is hard.
terminator

Post by terminator »

Some impressive kill lists.

Do you have a picture of your force by the end of 1945? I guess there is some heavy armor in it.

The Soviet Cavalry is not very strong at the beginning of the war, it is only with the upgrades and the experience that these units will reveal all their potential.

Attachments
ForceCore.jpg
ForceCore.jpg (314.11 KiB) Viewed 503 times
terminator

Post by terminator »

Vyasma 1941

Enemy objective is not correctly formulated (The Soviets must not capture...) :

Attachments
Vyasma1941.jpg
Vyasma1941.jpg (157.66 KiB) Viewed 503 times
terminator

Post by terminator »

Leningrad 1944

- Typo: Brillant victory -> Brilliant victory

- Russian infantry units don’t have the right orientation, we have the impression that they are fleeing

Attachments
Leningrad1944.jpg
Leningrad1944.jpg (617.54 KiB) Viewed 503 times
terminator

Post by terminator »

Sea of Azov (1/2)

Objectives:
- typo: Domniate -> Dominate
- Dnepr = Dnieper (it would be better to keep the same term)
- where is Saparoshe on the map ?

Attachments
SeaAzov1.jpg
SeaAzov1.jpg (198.07 KiB) Viewed 504 times
terminator

Post by terminator »

Sea of Azov (2/2)

The Event "DnieperCrossing" is very unlikely to trigger due to Condition "Reached by Aircraft" :

Attachments
SeaAzov2.jpg
SeaAzov2.jpg (206.55 KiB) Viewed 503 times
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi terminator,

Saporoshe (you may also find the name Zaporozhye in Russian sources) is the whole region where the fighting takes place. Maybe the city of Zaporozhiza is meant?

About the river - it is better if one name is always used, to avoid confusion.

terminator

Post by terminator »

Crimea 1944 (1/2)

Briefing : "conquer the peninsula in order to stop Soviet(?) bombing of Romania" [&:]

Attachments
Crimea1.jpg
Crimea1.jpg (114.43 KiB) Viewed 503 times
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

That is a German objective from 1941. The Soviets in 1944 needed to eliminate the presence of German navy in Sevastopol and clear the pocket behind their lines.
terminator

Post by terminator »

That is a German objective from 1941. The Soviets in 1944 needed to eliminate the presence of German navy in Sevastopol and clear the pocket behind their lines.

The Crimean offensive (8 April – 12 May 1944), Wikipedia :

"The Wehrmacht was able to successfully hold on to the Crimea even after it had been cut off by land due to their ability to supply it via the Black Sea. Holding the Crimea was considered important as its loss would negatively affect the attitude of Turkey and put Romanian oilfields under risk of Soviet air attacks."
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

The Soviet objective for the game would be ''We must capture the peninsula to renew bomber attacks on Romania and improve our relations with Turkey.''
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi folks,

agreed, the Crimea text makes no sense. Seems some old German briefing slipped into the commisars briefcase.[;)]

Regards,
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi Ronald,

Does the kill list have a limit?

I guess I am over it :D
Not by point value but I guess by the number of killed units, will have to check the combat protocol.

How to do that - make a specialized bunker killer unit, maximum stats against infantry and always give it artillery support.

This is not a complaint about bug, just an observation.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi AngySwan,

Hi Ronald,

Not by point value but I guess by the number of killed units, will have to check the combat protocol.

How to do that - make a specialized bunker killer unit, maximum stats against infantry and always give it artillery support.

i am not sure if i get it right. You are saying you have killed so many units that they do not show up in the list anymore ?

Its not a real bug, but a limitation then. Could you send me a savegame with that unit so that we can consider solutions for this ?

Regards,
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi Ronald,

I sent the save, that is the last turn of the campaign. I think the kill list is too long, it even crashes the game. The bunker killer unit fought in 6 scenarios and the total point value of kills is not that high, around 140 or 150, but the killed units are many.

My objective was to get a land unit with 5 attachments and not have too high losses. The long kill list is a ''side effect''.

terminator

Post by terminator »

Crimea 1944 (2/2)

The Text messages for the landing of the Soviet troops (16 & 20 Rifle Corps of the Seperate Coastal Army) should have a red background :

Attachments
Crimea2.jpg
Crimea2.jpg (465.46 KiB) Viewed 503 times
terminator

Post by terminator »

Hi Ronald,

The Killed Unit does not appear immediately on the Killer Unit history list, the Killer Unit must be deselected and then reselected to see the Killed Unit appear on the Killer Unit history list.
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

That is the normal procedure, but imagine you have a specialized bunker killer unit with its own artillery support (that should also be possible for Soviets) and the combat procedure is: artillery fire until the defender has 2-3 points left, maybe 1 - and then the bunker killer comes. It gets 1 kill per 2 moves or maybe more.

The current kill list can have 17 items - that is more than enough and most units never reach even half of the number; I have some infantry divisions that have 0 experience because they never saw action. But this is a special unit that must get 5 promotions by the end of the campaign and has its own artillery support and is a part of a tank army. After 6 scenarios it will have a kill list over 17 units.

You can also do it with the Soviets, there must be enough bunkers in all scenarios.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi folks,

during my testing i never had an overflow with the kill list. But it should cope with extreme situations and i hope we will find a quick(=doable) solution. Just imagine one day there is a Western campaign starting in 1939 and someone has the insane idea to combine it with the 37 maps of the A-A campaign. Could cause long lists. [:D]

AngrySwan: received your mail but it lacked an attachment.

Regards,

Return to “Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941”