Wish list

Germany At War: Operation Barbarossa 1941 is an elegant turn-based design, inspired by classics such as Panzer General, but with more of a historical focus. You command the German forces through a branching historical campaign covering the entire 1941 campaign as well as part of the 1942 campaign. Dozens of scenarios stretch from the Soviet border all the way to Archangel and towards Astrakhan, the original military goals of Operation Barbarossa. Step into a wargame where your performance will rewrite history, through an addictive combination of compelling gameplay, realistic events and challenging battles.

Moderator: Ronald Wendt

AngrySwan

RE: Wish list

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi Ronald,

If there was a unit editor (I do not know how you code the unit stats, if it is a simple tool or a program that needs a professional) there could be a chance.
- take the units as they are
- take a Panzer General II equipment file (from the latest ones) and recalculate the stats for this game
- enter the new stats

Panzer General II is mostly ''equipment'' file - that is, if you see a Panther on the screen it just means a large group of Panthers - but there are a couple of ''organization'' files that show regiments and battalions.

So, the question is, can this be done and what way?

I do not have a tool for entering the data into the exe file but I can make a calculation of stats and send it to you - if there is someone to enter them.

Real life currently is like Moscow for Soviets but when the tide turns - and it will - I could find a few hours every week for stats calculation.

The art of war is simple and esay to understand but fighting a war is hard.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi AngrySwan,

actually i am not sure if i understand what you suggest - you want to do the unit values for new units ?

But thats not a very time consuming part. Its more work to model and texture the units. Usually i wait till i have enough new equipment, that is worth starting my research, because getting all the sources is the most time consuming. Then getting the relevant data sorted out. For all this its best to do as many units at one time as possible for efficiencies sake.

Or are there any values you are not satisfied with ? That would be a different story.

AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi Ronald,

If you plan to do the unit values then I do not need to worry. Just curious about what editor you use.

From these units I only need the Spanish legion for 1941 so it can also be ''close to a German division''.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi AngrySwan,

wasn't the Spanish Legion the unit after the Divison Blue with only the hard core left after Spain was forced to neutrality by the Allies ? Could remember this wrong though.

Anyway i use a text editor named Notepad ++ for most of the stuff i do. Here is what a typical unit looks like in text (commands may vary in others):

Attachments
UnitValuesAsText.jpg
UnitValuesAsText.jpg (103.8 KiB) Viewed 319 times
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi Ronald,

It is the same unit. Withdrawal from the Eastern Front took place in 1943.

Wiki also gives OOB of the Blue Division as of August 1941. It looks similar to a German infantry division.
terminator

Post by terminator »

ORIGINAL: Ronald Wendt

Anyway i use a text editor named Notepad ++ for most of the stuff i do. Here is what a typical unit looks like in text (commands may vary in others):

This file seems to be hidden somewhere ?
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi folks,

@terminator: Yes it is hidden with several hundred other files in the .dat

@AngrySwan: So you made me curious and the Spanish Legion is not the same as the Division Blue. And after the Division Blue was withdrawn, there was a unit called Blue Legion (Legión Azul) which was about regiment size formed of the hardcore falangists who refused to quit.(I am so smart thanks to Wikipedia [:D] )

AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi Ronald,

So what should it be? Blue Division/Blaue Division?
Germans also used the name 250. Infantry Division for it.

Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi AngrySwan,

Blue Division is fine i think. Its a known designation. If the unit only occurs as an auxiliary then i would differ size and name on on the date of the mission.

The division was structurally a German one after it was reorganized and manned by Spanish soldiers, so kind of a hybrid. 250."Blue" Division would have all in it at once btw. its like 7. "Ghost" Division for Rommels unit in France where you include the Wehrmacht & common name into one expression.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi AngrySwan,
ORIGINAL: AngrySwan

Hi terminator,

These stats were made comparing Regular39 and 43 infantry and then making the same changes to Elite infantry.

Range:1
Ammo:6
Maximum Entrenchment: 4
Action Points:2
Move on Foot: 6
Spotting: 2
Fuel: 0

(this is the easy part, these stats are the same for Army units of 1939 and 1943 so I guess they will not change for Elite either)

Attack/defense:
Infantry - 13/12
(Elite 39 already have 13 so I left it as 13 for Elite 43 as well because attack value of 14 is what Army panzergrenadiers have)
Tanks - 9/6 (same changes as for Army infantry)
Artillery - 16/7 (like Army)
Planes - 2/8 (like Army)
Ships - 2/10 (like Army)

The price of an Elite 1939 division is 50% higher than Regular 1939, so, if the same applies in 1943, then the costs of Elite units will be
Battalion - 107
Regiment - 152
Brigade - 225
Division - 337

This is a simple method just comparing the new unit to old ones that already exist.

Your reasoning is quite good, only the price is not as high as the Elite already was better equipped e.g. with submachine guns than your average Heer unit. So the increase is not as steep.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi folks,

time to talk about the things that do not make it into 1.09.

All equipment wishes that are not on on of the two "new equipment" lists:

New equipment page 1

New equipment page 2

or were not reported as in the game are left out of the next update. All wishes were put on a list though from which new stuff will be chosen for possible future updates.

AngrySwan wanted an update tree for Elite units, this will also not happen as the system would need new features for it to work in the way i had in mind for this. Its also on the "eternal" list, but very low on it. Other features would bring more to the table for a lesser or similar amount of work.

Same goes for auto_upgrades for transports which are a bit more likely though.

But this post is not only about what you won't get, but also about one more thing that was added.

Germany now has three awards: Krimschild, Kubanschild and Lapplandschild. They were awarded for specific battles and only make sense in the course of a campaign. The Krimschild was added to the AA-campaign as a reward for a brilliant Crimea victory.

Here is a screenshot of a test:

Attachments
Krimschild.jpg
Krimschild.jpg (586.09 KiB) Viewed 318 times
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi Ronald,

It is not a big deal for this version. Elite units are auxiliary in AA campaign. They are core in the Eastern Front 1941 but that campaign ends long before any real panzergrenadier units are formed (although Das Reich got 4 attachments last time I played so with little bit of planning it may as well get the 5th one and become an ''almost panzergrenadier'' division).

Wiking in Invasion 1941-1942 is a little bit more tricky, it starts as a regiment and then can grow to a division. There is a possibility to upgrade it. Of course it would be nice to get the Army units off the upgrade screen, if you ever have time and wish to do that; if not I will use a house rule ''Elite units should only be upgraded to Elite'' so that Wiking is not accidentally downgraded to an Army unit.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Of course it would be nice to get the Army units off the upgrade screen, if you ever have time and wish to do that; if not I will use a house rule ''Elite units should only be upgraded to Elite'' so that Wiking is not accidentally downgraded to an Army unit.

That is one of the things that would take time we did not have for 1.09. In principle a system with more options how to present upgrade possibilities would be nice.
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Also it has a low priority for a game focused on Army in 1941 and 1942.

If/when you have time and interest we could discuss some solutions, maybe even making Elite a separate nation like in some Panzer General II equipment files, with the same German flag (I guess the authentic one must be banned by the German law so we cannot use it) but now 1.09 is more important.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

but now 1.09 is more important.

Agreed.
terminator

Post by terminator »

It might be interesting to have "Fixed Units" that can be unlocked with the Editor as in some wargames :

Attachments
snip20180122141541.jpg
snip20180122141541.jpg (404.41 KiB) Viewed 318 times
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi Ronald,

A temporary solution for 1.09. Grossdeutschland is an Army unit so it can be upgraded from Army Infantry to Army Panzergrenadiere. The Elite units fighting in Third Kharkov can be made with experience ratings and attachments that would match their experience in early years. That is in case of a campaign ''Zitadelle: The Last Chance'' that would focus on Panzergrenadier divisions and their evolution during the war until Zitadelle. No chance of a strategic victory but a possibility to play mid war missions with Panwergrenadiere, self propelled artillery and the new types of tanks a.k.a. big cats (meow). No chance to take Moscow, just Chimki (so that the player does not accidentally take the Soviet capital in 1941.)

In a later version, if it comes, the upgrades would be:
- Elite Infantry 1939 can be upgraded to Elite Panzergrenadiere in 1942 and before Third Kharkov,
- no upgrades for Elite Cavalry or 1943 Elite infantry.

Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

ORIGINAL: terminator

It might be interesting to have "Fixed Units" that can be unlocked with the Editor as in some wargames :

I am not familiar with that concept - how does it work ? Is it like frozen units in War in the East ? Or something entirely different ?
terminator

Post by terminator »

There is an empty location in the User Interface where the Weather forecast is located.
It would be interesting to have the number of turns indicated there :

Attachments
Captured..n40UI.jpg
Captured..n40UI.jpg (164.46 KiB) Viewed 318 times
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi terminator,

the aircraft on a hex are displayed in that area so it can't be used in the way you suggest.

Return to “Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941”