Error launching game

Please post bug reports, complaints and generally venting that you have not yet received the game here.
gus

Error launching game

Post by gus »

Not a biggie but when launching the game by pressing 'Play Korsun Pocket' from the 'Korsun Pocket Menu' I generate the following error;

Error executing file.
C:\Matrix Games\Korsun Pocket\Korsun.exe

Games loads fine when using 'Korsun Pocket Quick Load' from the start menu. All other links on the KP Menu work fine.

I am running windows XP.

Similar error occurs when using autorun;

Error executing file.
C:\Matrix Games\Korsun Pocket\start.exe

-g
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

Could you do me a favor and unistall, reboot then reinstall completly new and let me know if it still doesn´t work?
gus

Post by gus »

Originally posted by Marc Schwanebeck
Could you do me a favor and unistall, reboot then reinstall completly new and let me know if it still doesn´t work?

Hi Marc,

Tried that already but the error persists.

BTW the uninstall only does a basic clean up, i.e. it leaves the KP directory and save game subdirectories etc. behind. This is fine but here should be an option to do a complete uninstall as well.

Also it is a bit unusual that KP requires the user to restart after installation. My guess is that you are installing a specialized font set but the user should be notified that this is happening. I also suspect that whatever is being installed that requires a restart may not be unistalled later so you may want to look into that as well.

thx

-g
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

As for the "save game" folder, this one is created by the game itself, once you actually save for the first time, thus the installer can´t ad it to the uninstall information. What this has been done this way I can´t answer you ;). The uninstaller itself completely wipes out everything that is also installs.

Now regarding the "reboot" after install. Do you mean you get prompted to reboot after the installation? That´s really wierd because it shouldn´t do so. Didn´t do so for me (with now the retail version) and also never in any installer tests we did. Hmmmm :confused:

There´s nothing that gets installed or set that would require a reboot. When installing and registering fonts a reboot is never required.

"C:\Matrix Games\Korsun Pocket\"

I take it that is also the directory you installed the game to?
U2

Post by U2 »

There´s nothing that gets installed or set that would require a reboot. When installing and registering fonts a reboot is never required.

Maybe Gus installed DirectX9a that shipped with the game? That would require a reboot. Just guessing:D
gus

Post by gus »

Now regarding the "reboot" after install. Do you mean you get prompted to reboot after the installation? That´s really wierd because it shouldn´t do so. Didn´t do so for me (with now the retail version) and also never in any installer tests we did. Hmmmm :confused:

To be honest I don't remember if it happened the first time I installed but it did require that I do it after I uninstalled and then reinstalled. Have no idea why??? No other apps were running during this time except for my virus protection software.
"C:\Matrix Games\Korsun Pocket\"

I take it that is also the directory you installed the game to?

Yes, the default location as chosen by the installer.

-g
gus

Post by gus »

Originally posted by U2
Maybe Gus installed DirectX9a that shipped with the game? That would require a reboot. Just guessing:D
Hey Dan,

Good guess but no cigar as I didn't install DirectX9a from the KP CD.

-g
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Does this mean you can't play and I can claim victory???:eek: :D
Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
gus

Post by gus »

Originally posted by Sonny
Does this mean you can't play and I can claim victory???:eek: :D

Hey Sonny,

'Fraid not, you are going to have to kick my arse the old fashioned way.

BTW, I have finished the turorials and am ready for your first turn!

-g
Naujoks

RE: Error launching game

Post by Naujoks »

I recently purchased a downloadable version of Korsun Pocket, which I actually own on disc. The disc wasn't working properly which I attributed to it it being for Windows XP and I have recently purchased a new laptop with Windows 7. The disc would not work in the compatability mode either. I have followed all the advice on your support link as that's where the tickets have been directed to. I have downloaded over and over and OVER this game with multiple browsers, late at night when activity is less congested, shut off my security setting during the download as well as utilized the Download manager program that your site suggested to do. My frustration level is at its threshhold. I am very computer literate and have researched this for about 3 days running now. I get to the video introduction, move my mouse to skip through, and then get an error message that states " A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify if a solution is available." The closest I can come to resolution is the possibility that the wide screen monitor I have is not playing nice with the program. It is an ACER monitor. Please help me whether it is with a resolution or the hard fact that the program won't work with my system so I do not have to waste countless hours trying to get this game to work. If that is the case then I request full refund for your product. Thanks
JSS

RE: Error launching game

Post by JSS »

Naujoks,

There's three different ways to avoid the movies:

1. Open game with "Korsun Pocket Gmae Menu" instead of "Korsun Pocket Quick Start"
2. In the main Korsun Pocket folder is a text file named "options". Open it, change "Movies Played" setting to Yes and save file... Now they don't play when you use "Korsun Pocket Quick Start" to open the game.
3. Hit Esc button twice... this doesn't prevent them from showing up... it does avoid problem with moving mouse and getting crash.

I'm running Windows 7 and have no problem with the game. Hope these procedures help you.

JSS

Return to “Korsun Pocket Support”