Completed Overlord Scn

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: alexs

Capitaine

Completed Overlord Scn

Post by Capitaine »

It was, as noted below in some posts, a "slugfest" with me pulling out a +4 point draw over the Axis AI. That's about as even as you get. The key to me coming out on the positive end likely was my capture of Caen at long last on turn 31.

By the end, the front had pretty much stabilized over its length, with slight openings to the east where my US armored divisions were pounding away. However, when over I saw that the Germans had a few divisions awaiting any breakthrough and made me believe the scenario is even more "set piece" than I imagined.

I played fairly conservative early, for the most part, being careful to cover and protect my beachheads. It would be interesting to try a more aggressive tack especially w/ the British. I seem to recall a lack of British artillery early on, though, making hammer blows harder to effect.

By far the most successful Allied move was my thrust to Cherbourg and subsequent swing back East from there. I bagged quite a few German formations in that swing.

Any other approaches anyone care to suggest? I've got to believe there's a better way... [;)]
2gaulle

RE: Completed Overlord Scn

Post by 2gaulle »

not finish, I'm at turn 12 but since turn 10 and a suicidal attack in front of Caen by the SS pz Div the "church is done" (don't know if it's English).

I have take half Caen this turn, Carentan at turn 10 and St lo will fall in one or 2 turn. most important I have kill 46 germans unit for 5 of mine.

The turning point was when I was able to link the 2 US front trough the March. Since this moment the AI had begin to made many mistake.

I didn't advance far in the Penninsula, Valogne was liberate at turn 11 and I'm at 2 hex from St Sauveur.

My mean offensive was in direction of St Lo with the Brit and the US forces.

At the end of the 11 turn the score was 546 with +232 points win diring this turn.
ioticus

Post by ioticus »

What difficulty level are you playing, 2gaulle? Let us know the final score when you finish.
2gaulle

Post by 2gaulle »

What difficulty level are you playing, 2gaulle?

AI is at normal
2gaulle

Post by 2gaulle »

turn 13, a new German counter attack , this time with the Lehr. the attack started in the east of St lo, in direction of Bayeux. that mean between the British and the US Front.
result: Caen, St Lo, St Sauveur, Valogne have been liberated, vp is now 830 , +216 for this turn

turn 14 the peninsula is cut off . score 1212 (+382 this turn)

turn 18 the British have made a major breakthrough and reach Troarn (east of Caen)
the Lehr is completely surrounded, element of the 82 airborne are in close to Coutance, 30 and 90 US have reach Cherbourg.

Alltogether 92 germans units have been killed for 12 allieds. With more than 2000 VP I prefer stopped here.

This result is largely the consequences of the AI counter attack. Near Caen the AI was able to attack and retreat but not enough to live the clear area.
Petrov

Post by Petrov »

Noticed a problem with the AI attacks myself. It seems to me there is a tendency for them to get to far ahead of themselves. In the Caen area, where I've positioned the majority of my panzer units, the AI seemed to go a little bit too much for the deep strike. They were then vulnerable to being cut off.
marc420

Post by marc420 »

Sounds like Hitler ordered the panzers to drive to beaches or die trying.
Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism. ~George Washington
Janet Reno

Post by Janet Reno »

I like a little trick I learned from KP. Send recons out and watch the AI dogpile a bunch of guys on them. Worked for me. I sent some due south from gold beach and AI sent a LOT of SS to go after them. I was then able to bust lose in the east and run amuck.[;)] Just mopping up now for he are crushed.
"You can get further with a gun and a kind word than just a kind word alone"-Al Capone

Return to “After Action Reports”