Morale

Battles In Normandy is the third game in the Decisive Battles game series. Battles in Normandy recreates all aspects of the Normandy campaign, from the landings on the first day to the final climax of the campaign at Falaise. Strategic Studies Group rewrote the Decisive Battles game engine for Battles in Normandy with a host of new special rules for amphibious and airborne operations, plus a huge number of other enhancements.

Moderator: alexs

Greywulf

Morale

Post by Greywulf »

Okay I know that some will say that Morale is built into the game's steps etc. But how do you explain that certain units that I know were weaker in moral have the same number of steps and quality as known stronger equal sized units in the game?

Also can you really separate Fatigue and Morale from even battales that have a 1 day daily turn when those same soldiers could be asked to attack day after day for the entire say 8-10 turns which represent 1 day for each turn ? [&:]
JSS

RE: Moral

Post by JSS »

ORIGINAL: Greywulf

Okay I know that some will say that Moral is built into the game's steps etc. But how do you explain that certain units that I know were weaker in moral have the same number of steps and quality as known stronger equal sized units in the game?

Ummm, typically the difference is very distinct. Not sure what you're asking.

Units of similar size but better moral would tend to have slightly more movement capability, a slightly higher resupply rate, more combat bullets, slightly higher combat power ratings per step, quicker auto replacement rates for timed replacements, and especially for divisions... higher division integrity ratings. If the difference is extreme then they may well have different quality ratings (between substandard, veteran, elite quality status).
Also can you really separate Fatigue and Moral from even battales that have a 1 day daily turn when those same soldiers could be asked to attack day after day for the entire say 8-10 turns which represent 1 day for each turn ? [&:]

Morale and fatigue factor into the DB games a great deal. Fatigue is modelled in the OP resupply vs consumption rate difference. If you try to move a unit turn-after-turn-after-turn they tend to become very immobile. If you use them in combat turn-after-turn-after-turn they tend to lose steps rapidly and become burnt out husks of their former selves.
Greywulf

Post by Greywulf »

Sounds good and I hope you are right.. but how do you explain SSG's Vice President giving this explaination as to what I questioned
Morale is abstracted into the elite/standard/substandard units, the number of steps and also into the way a unit's combat factors change as it loses steps. A regiment from an SS Panzer division can still be pretty effective with two step losses, but a Russian rifle division might be stuffed with only one step loss.
There is no mention of what your saying JSS.

Check it out at tm.asp?m=516651&mpage=1&key=morale&#516651
JSS

Post by JSS »

ORIGINAL: Greywulf

Sounds good and I hope you are right.. but how do you explain SSG's Vice President giving this explaination as to what I questioned
Morale is abstracted into the elite/standard/substandard units, the number of steps and also into the way a unit's combat factors change as it loses steps. A regiment from an SS Panzer division can still be pretty effective with two step losses, but a Russian rifle division might be stuffed with only one step loss.

There is no mention of what your saying JSS.

Check it out at tm.asp?m=516651&mpage=1&key=morale��

Three quality levels and differing combat power (both unit vs another unit & step-by-step within a unit) are covered in what I posted above.

The post you refer to is about KP. BiN & BII use a vastly improved OP supply, resupply, and consumption process. This is where the subtle magic is worked on morale, fatigue, and sustained combat power.

Return to “Decisive Battles: Battles in Normandy”