Fog of war issue?

Battles In Normandy is the third game in the Decisive Battles game series. Battles in Normandy recreates all aspects of the Normandy campaign, from the landings on the first day to the final climax of the campaign at Falaise. Strategic Studies Group rewrote the Decisive Battles game engine for Battles in Normandy with a host of new special rules for amphibious and airborne operations, plus a huge number of other enhancements.

Moderator: alexs

Longstreet_slith

Fog of war issue?

Post by Longstreet_slith »

Hi Folks,

I am new to Battles in Normandy and this series of games. I think it is fantastic, but I do have one question relative to fog of war issues. If an enemy unit has been completely identified, I can move my mouse over the unit, right-click, and see everything about that unit -- ammunition levels, movement points, everything -- just like it was my unit! Isn't this a bit much in terms of complete exposure? Why should I have access to this amount of information? [&:]

Thanks,
-Longstreet
JSS

RE: Fog of war issue?

Post by JSS »

If a unit is fully exposed, then you see its base capabilities (think this is done because a player could open the editor or another game and get the info anyway). 

The only two pieces of info you actually get by right clicking are:

1) number of steps the unit has (along w/ status of timed replacements) &
2) does the unit still have a combat capability (i.e. you see if the unit is out of supply and combat capability immediately... red background counters for isolated units)

Something to try is the unknown units feature.  When using this a units info is not available via right clicking until it has taken part in a close combat (this applies to your own units too!).    Excellent feature that makes the game, umm... very interesting, at the start.

Return to “Decisive Battles: Battles in Normandy”