Virus alert in BII

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.
mazorj

Virus alert in BII

Post by mazorj »

My Zone Alarm antivirus just tagged the file BattlesInItaly-updatev101.exe file as having the Win32.Multidropper.Z virus. Depending on where you look, this is rated low to moderate risk, although the McAfee site makes it sound a bit worrisome:

http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default. ... us_k=98843

The .zip file was installed 9/7/05 and according to the FAT has not been modified since that date. The .zip file is 1,785,409 long, the uncompressed file s listed at 1,877,193.

Previous scans did not tag this file, so I'm wondering what's going on. Any advice on:

1. How it got there?
2. Did ZA misread it?
3. Suggested actions?
Erik Rutins

RE: Virus alert in BII

Post by Erik Rutins »

Complete false alarm, sorry. Keep in mind virus software is not perfect either and we periodically see a false positive from one product or another. I can confirm the copies on our servers, as downloaded, are virus-free. What happens to them after that depends on each customer's system, but I'm sure this is a false positive. [8D]

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
mazorj

RE: Virus alert in BII

Post by mazorj »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Complete false alarm, sorry. Keep in mind virus software is not perfect either and we periodically see a false positive from one product or another. I can confirm the copies on our servers, as downloaded, are virus-free. What happens to them after that depends on each customer's system, but I'm sure this is a false positive. [8D]

Regards,

- Erik

Thanks. I figured as such. ZA said it couldn't quarantine the "virus" and suggested a manual delete - rather odd because it wasn't tagged as a system file or read-only, so ZA should have been able to zap it.

Spy Sweeper and a number of other programs didn't flag it - but then, Spy Sweeper thinks that MS Messenger is a virus. (So do I, but that's just because I don't use it, don't need it, but can't figure out how to keep it from loading and trying to access the Internet despite massive attempts to eradicate it. [:@] )

Return to “Battles In Italy Support”