sorry to say it...but i regret this purchase

Battles In Italy is the fourth game in the award-winning Decisive Battles of WWII game series from Strategic Studies Group. Battles in Italy recreates all aspects of the Italy campaign, from the landings on Sicily to Salerno, Anzio and Rome. Strategic Studies Group has again updated the Decisive Battles game engine for Battles in Italy with campaign specific features and other enhancements.

Moderator: alexs

themattcurtis

sorry to say it...but i regret this purchase

Post by themattcurtis »

I should have searched the forums a little more extensively.

I just paid $50 for this game, and the unit icons and text are so tiny (don't feed me the magnifying glass thing, please), that it gives me a headache to try and play.

And everywhere I look, the same message now....this is the only option I have, so I better deal with it.

Thanks for nada, folks. And I don't buy the statement I read that "the interface wouldn't fit." There is a ton of unused space around just the tutorial map.

This is the first time I've felt, well, burned by a purchase. Live and learn.

Matt
"You men cheer when the battle is successful. When it isn't, you threaten hari-kari. You're acting like hysterical women."

Vice Admiral Ryunosuke Kusaka
Erik Rutins

RE: sorry to say it...but i regret this purchase

Post by Erik Rutins »

Sorry to hear that Matt. What kind of resolution are you running on? Do you have any visibility issues with any other games?
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
themattcurtis

Post by themattcurtis »

1024 x 768

No, no problems with other games. And I don't WANT to give up on this one yet as I hear great things. But the icons are so damn small. Feels like I'm straining to see anything. I tried to set my monitor to 800 x 600 in the hopes that the images would grow in size, as I saw in the Run5 forum that someone had tried that. No joy.
"You men cheer when the battle is successful. When it isn't, you threaten hari-kari. You're acting like hysterical women."

themattcurtis

Post by themattcurtis »

OK....switched monitors. It's a bit better, but even if I end up falling in love with the series, I do see the itsy bitsy font/print/ as being a shortcoming. Back to the tutorial.

Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

I understand what you are saying. It does take a bit of getting used to but, trust me, it will be well worth it in the end if you hang in there.

Check out this thread for what is in store for you:

tm.asp?m=1560051

I can't tell you the fun I have had with the DBWW2 series of games. Don't take my word for it though. I am in good company & I am sure there will be many others to reassure you in this regard. It is the wargaming pinnacle, imltho.
Jack1986

Post by Jack1986 »

I had the same experience at first - and had the exact same thought about the magnifying glass!

Yes, the unit icons are a bit small, and could possibly (caveat - I am no programmer) have been made larger.

But, the game is so much fun. 

May you soon experience and share in the hours of enjoyment that so many of us have had!
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

While I agree that the unit icons are too small (you should see them at 1680x1050) the single biggest thing they could do to improve the visibility is clean up the images of the units themselves.

There is absolutely no call for the distracting camaflage pattern that "busies" up the counters so much it makes it almost impossible to discern the images of the unit type and division.

That being said it hasn't stopped me from buying and playing every game in the series.

I just wish they would make and effort to clean up the over busy graphics.

Whoever designed the counters failed grahics 101.
Hans

SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

Post by SS Hauptsturmfuhrer »

Ironically, it was the artwork done on both the icons and terrain that recently got me interested in this game series. I found the intricate, colorful design a nice change from simple, dull colored war games and the 3D games which can tend to be too comical for my taste.

For this game, I found getting to know the badge designs of the units makes it easier to keep track of things. Like HG for Herman Goering for example.
Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

Yep, somebody really got carried with the crayolas on this one. [:-]

PoE (aka ivanmoe)
Government is the opiate of the masses.

Return to “Decisive Battles: Battles In Italy”