Changing screen resolution

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.
Zorch

RE: Changing screen resolution

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: GeorgePattonIII
ORIGINAL: Zorch

I just bought this game; I would not have bought it had I known about the 1024 x 768 resolution.

It may be futile, but I'd consider emailing Matrix asking for a refund; or at least a credit to your account. Maybe they'll be sympathetic.

I just might...but I doubt they would.
The alternative is to put the game on my 11 year old PC, which supports 1024 by 768 nicely.
supershanks

Post by supershanks »

I just bought this game; I would not have bought it had I known about the 1024 x 768 resolution.
Yes me too. My native res is 2048x1152. Like most people when I'm gaming there are often times I have to switch out of a game to the desktop to perform some task, answer email whatever, it's not a pretty sight seeing my desktop at 1024x768.
I have a number of old games which are still playable as they will scale up, very dissatisfied with this.
dswebb

Post by dswebb »

Wow, I was just about to buy this game too, and now count me as one who won't because of what I read here. Yeah, it would be too small to read well on my 1920x1080 monitor if it insists on being just 1024x768 overall. The map itself must be what then, 800x600 or something? I'll pass.
Doug
YoungAtHeart

Post by YoungAtHeart »

After playing Commander: The Great War I just had to try Europe at War Gold. I just bought it today and am very disappointed at the screen resolution. I expected better from a fairly modern game. 1024x768 hasn't been the standard in may years now. I guess I'm stuck with it now. [:(]
Silver1974

Post by Silver1974 »

WoW, and I thought I was lucky to see in tech support forum the title of the issue I wanted to report! I bought the game yesterday, downloaded today to play, then saw 60% of the screen white and the game on the top left thinking "what the hell". I thought it was my fault.

Sorry to read there is no solution for this, I will play the game since I bought it and was looking forward for some weekend play, but come on... I cannot even put it in a windowed mode? :(
Consider a world where all people lived in peace and love with each other. And then consider us attacking this world because they would never expect it!
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

ORIGINAL: firepowerjohan

There is a file "settings.txt" on the game root path. You can reset the "LOW_RAM 0" there giving you that popup again to select performance.
r
Where can the "settings.txt" file be found and how would I reset it? I looked through all of the folders for the game within the C drive and could not locate this file.

*edit* For anyone else wondering the same; I found a thread on the Slitherine Forums about this. The settings.txt file can be found in the "My Documents" folder, not the program files folders.
StkNRdr

Post by StkNRdr »

I have been looking for a WWII operational level game and this looked like a good fit until I saw the screen res restriction. Going to have to pass. Hope some day it gets revised.
spydermr2

Post by spydermr2 »

I should have read the forums first before buying. 1024x768 was my default resolution... back when I had two Monster 3Ds in SLI. In the 1990s. My laptop ran 1600x900 in 2002. Running in 1024x768 is ridiculous. I will contact them to refund this. Strangely, I have Commander Great War and it stretches fine.
Sad, because this looked really interesting. But not worth $1, much less what I paid for it.
Alitis

Post by Alitis »

Yes you can change the resolution. Just edit the SC3.ini file in the USER folder for the game. It works, I've been doing it for years.

Return to “Tech Support”