modding unit colours?

Post new mods and scenarios here.
Javolenus

modding unit colours?

Post by Javolenus »

Hi There,

I was wondering, is it possible to modify the unit counter colours, and if so, how? I've not got much modding experience, so any help on this would be welcome! Thanks in advance.
junk2drive

RE: modding unit colours?

Post by junk2drive »

Take a look at the WWI mod

tm.asp?m=2842525

and the JMass Map mod. You need a graphics program and artistic talent.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

Open Microsoft Paint.

Then use that to paint any counter you wish.

Can also be used to paint the hexes.

All the counter files and hex files of the game are in Microsoft Paint's *.bmp format.

-

Javolenus

Post by Javolenus »

Hi There and many thanks for the quick reponse. OK, I have found lots of terrain.bmp docs in the SupportFiles directory. If I open one of these docs in a graphics editor, then I can see all the units lined up in rows. To change the colours, I'm assuming I'd need to paint over the existing images? If so, how do I avoid obliterating the unit-type (NATO) symbols and black/blank boxes? And I'd need to change all the terrain.bmp docs right? Apologies for dragging this out, but having accessed the docs in a graphics package, I'm wondering what the right technique is. Thanks in advance for advice!
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

"Graphics package" ????    No no no. Just use Microsoft Paint.

EG:  Replace bright green with Olive Green.

Replace bright red with dull red.

-

Javolenus

Post by Javolenus »

Hi There and thanks for the quick response. OK, I opened the terrain.bmp doc in MS-Paint, but what do I do now? I mean, is it a matter of clicking over the original colour on each unit counter one pixel at a time? Sorry to sound dumb but I need it spelling out! Thanks again for help and again, sorry for what's probably a dumb question--just want to make sure.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

Use the zooom function to zoom in.

Use the paintbrush tool to paint.

If I recall there is a Replace function. Replace colour 1 with colour 2 then use the paintbrush to paint it.
-

junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

There is an eyedropper to pick a colour or the grid of standard colours at the bottom. Select a colour then use the paint bucket tool to flood fill the old colour. It may bleed into areas that you don't want to change. If so use the undo command under Edit in the dropdown menu. Paint dot net is a better program and is free.

Make a copy of your original and put it in a safe place before you start messing with this.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Javolenus

Post by Javolenus »

Hi There and many thanksfor this. OK, I get it now! I'll also check out Paint dot net. Thanks again.
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Hi
You might also what to download my “counter mod kit” from the thread below which includes templates for all 4 zoom levels. I will be issuing an updated version in the next two weeks which will also include victory screens. With regard to graphics programs for working on the counters I find that Photoshop Elements works very well.

Best of Luck
Ian
Javolenus

Post by Javolenus »

Hi Ian and thanks for this. I've downloaded your counter mod as suggested--many thanks!

Looking at your graphics mods, they look really great! Some very nice ideas there. I like what you have done with the 'propaganda poster' graphic slot. Meanwhile, look forward to seeing your updated mod with victory screens.

I would like to change some of the unit counter colours if possible (esp. Japan and maybe British) and was hoping it might be a quick process! I'll try to find some time to have a go and if the result are good, I'll post them up. Thanks again and all the best.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”