Final Rule on Withdrawal

Combat Command is Boku Strategy Games World War II operational game. strategy games played warfare on a hex playing field with turn-based game play utilizing company-sized units. Game design aspects include turn phases, combat resolution, unit design, scenarios and artificial intelligence.

Moderator: Obsolete

Fred98

RE: Final Rule on Withdrawal

Post by Fred98 »

And on top of that, if a unit is suppose to withdraw, a dice is bowled, a table consulted and sometimes withdraw will not happen anyhow.

Korzun

Post by Korzun »

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

And on top of that, if a unit is suppose to withdraw, a dice is bowled, a table consulted and sometimes withdraw will not happen anyhow.

Thanks for your answers, Joe. What charts or formulas are used for this initial w/d test to see if a unit withdraws? I can't find documentation on that. The normal w/d test should be D100 + mod /unit quality and the result determines the effect of withdrawal. Cause I encounter that "no withrawal thing" often in Carentan while all conditions seem to be met.
Korzun

Post by Korzun »

After some research and testing I doubt that there is a check whether the unit withdraws or not. I may have found the reason for some of the units to not withdrawing properly for no apparent reason. It is the red hexes being shown when a unit retreats (in case it actually withdraws). If one of these red hexes is in an EZOC there will be no retreat. If the unit then fails the w/d check there will be a message "...blocked by EZOC." This message does not pop up when the w/d test is passed.

I don't know whether this is WAD or not and I am not entirely sure about it. But an additional die roll could not be found in the log file.

EDIT: In the manual it says : "The red hexes show the rout it must take to reach a green hex". In some cases this calculation seems to be off I guess.
Korzun

Post by Korzun »

The marked unit cannot withdraw because it is being "blocked by EZOC". The forrest hex to the lower left though should not be an EZOC. That's why assume it has sth. to do with the calculation of the red hexes.

Attachments
WD.jpg
WD.jpg (145.8 KiB) Viewed 407 times
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

The unit would attempt to withdraw south west from one forest hex into another. Perhaps it doesn't have enought movement points to do so.

You can also check that the unit switched into Attack posture as it needs to do so to move.

Korzun

Post by Korzun »

Withdrawing units should be able to move at least one hex regardless of MP. In fact, when I remove the Allied stack to the lower right the forest hex to the south west becomes an eligible w/d hex. If you want I can upload the save file and you can have a shot. This seems like a bug to me.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

If the unit was trying to withdraw south it cannot do so because the hex would be overstacked.

Yes please upload the file.  Matrix have recently desabled ZIP files.

Korzun

Post by Korzun »

Save File

click on the small download button besides the green arrow (the smallest download button, the rest seems to be spam). Couldn't upload it directly. It says the file was too big. Why did they remove the zip option??
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

I opened your scenario.

It is now the German turn

That German unit is at Disruption level 4.

I found a nearby German unit with Disruption level of zero and moved it to stack with that unit.

I made sure both units are in Withdrawal posture.

The first unit, as you noticed did not withdraw. The second unit did withdraw.

The reason is: If a unit has a higher disruption level the distance it withdraws is lower. If it has a lower disruption level, the distance it withdraws will be higher.

The original unit had a high disruption level so it was set to withdraw a short distance. It would normally withdraw through that wooded hex but did not have enough movement points. it did not withdraw and it took a hit as it is suppsed to.

When we helped test the 1.04 patch back in March, we too found instances where units did not withdraw. In every case the developer gave a valid explanation.

Where the manual says “the unit will always withdraw” the manual is wrong.
Korzun

Post by Korzun »

Okay, thank your for having a closer look. Looks as though this w/d behaviour has been there ever since, at least I checked version 1.00. So, I will accept this as WAD. Think the problem is that the manual is somewhat misleading.

Cheers

Return to “Combat Command Series”