War in the Desert- Gazala PBEM

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: Gregor_SSG, alexs

BlackSunshine

RE: War in the Desert- Gazala PBEM

Post by BlackSunshine »

And the Operational Map at the end of turn. I was the attacker this entire turn.

Attachments
Overview.jpg
Overview.jpg (143.29 KiB) Viewed 347 times
BlackSunshine

Post by BlackSunshine »

turn 12

Well the Axis decide to renew hostilities again to the north. The center of our 1st SA Infantry line has been broken through. The Italians decide to bypass our foritifcations alltogether and press the issue.

Also near Ain el Gazala, Axis forces attempt to isolate the lone intantry unit holding that area. Recon units quickly race to the city and fan out through the streets in an attempt to hold it if they push farther through.

In response, 2nd SA infantry division will not move to the south of Alem Hamza as planned, but will instead attempt to keep the Axis from entering our supply lines.
Attachments
1ndand2ndSA.jpg
1ndand2ndSA.jpg (154.61 KiB) Viewed 344 times
BlackSunshine

Post by BlackSunshine »

In other action, to the south of Bir Hacheim, 8th panzer regiment spearheads a slight breakthtrough of our line. It is quickly patched up.

The combined defensive and anti-shock strengths of defenders shows me if I have any other weaknesses.
Attachments
breakthrough.jpg
breakthrough.jpg (145.6 KiB) Viewed 344 times
BlackSunshine

Post by BlackSunshine »

I decide to take this opportunity, to torment the hapless artillery and other units which have been hanging around on my western flank. 22nd armor bde with help from 2nd armor bde, shift positions and hit the NW side of the italians. The Free French attempt to box them in, by hitting them on the eastern side.

Attachments
Attack.jpg
Attack.jpg (143.78 KiB) Viewed 344 times
BlackSunshine

Post by BlackSunshine »

As the 22nd armor bde advances, they spot HQ and supply units! They are quickly dispatched.

Attachments
italianHQ.jpg
italianHQ.jpg (68.76 KiB) Viewed 344 times
BlackSunshine

Post by BlackSunshine »

Here are the end of day positions at the end of the attack. Numerous Italian units were destroyed.

22nd armor brigade will continue their offensive and attempt to envelop more Axis forces. As you can see there is not much stopping them. This will mean that our HQ and supply companies will also have to relocate.

In the event that the Axis forces pull back to meet 22nd armor bde, then that means that Allied units holding the line to the east, can advance as well.

Things are looking bad for the Axis near Bir Hacheim.
Attachments
Endofday.jpg
Endofday.jpg (154.45 KiB) Viewed 344 times
BlackSunshine

Post by BlackSunshine »

Turn 13

The battle continues. In the Alem Hamza area, I continue to shift my lines to keep an obvious breaches sealed or to free any isolated units.

The good news...

2nd SA Infantry Division arrives, and not a moment too soon.

Attachments
1stand2ndsa.jpg
1stand2ndsa.jpg (148.4 KiB) Viewed 344 times
BlackSunshine

Post by BlackSunshine »

I continue to shell and attack the trapped pocket near Rotunda Ualeb. I finally made some progress this turn.

Attachments
rotunda.jpg
rotunda.jpg (136.42 KiB) Viewed 344 times
BlackSunshine

Post by BlackSunshine »

Near Bir Hacheim, the Axis did as I expected they would, some units were pulled from the Eastern Flank of Bir Hacheim and moved back to try to keep from getting enveloped.

My attacks also destroyed additional surrounded units north of Bir Hacheim, this frees up more units for continued offensive actions.

I suppose it's time to really put some pressure on.
Attachments
BirHacheim.jpg
BirHacheim.jpg (153.65 KiB) Viewed 344 times
BlackSunshine

Post by BlackSunshine »

Turn 14

The Italians near Alem Hamza decide to hold their ground and pay for it. The recon and armor units which penetrated my lines, were quickly enveloped and destroyed.

My resupplied artillery begins to pound positions which are not dug in, time to go on the offensive in this area.

Attachments
AlemHamza.jpg
AlemHamza.jpg (147.65 KiB) Viewed 344 times
BlackSunshine

Post by BlackSunshine »

Near Bir Hacheim, the action really heats up.

The turn starts with the most powerful artillery barrage to date. Every artillery unit within range hits Axis defenders who are not dug in. Steps are lost quickly.

Prior to the turn, I think the Axis knew an attack was imminent. They began to dig in to the west of Bir Hacheim and pull back from their breakthrough to the east.

After the artillery quiets, a combined attack from Free French Forces, 22nd Armor Brigade and 2nd Armored Brigade is launched.

Recon elements of 22nd armor, scout soft positions prior to the attack and then quickly hunker down in the Bir Hacheim box. Located in the reconnaisance, was DAK HQ. It was attacked and retreated.

Supply permitting, I expect the attack to continue. Both 22nd and 2nd armor HQ have relocated to the west, to better assist with resupply actions.
Attachments
BirHacheimattacks.jpg
BirHacheimattacks.jpg (161.95 KiB) Viewed 343 times
BlackSunshine

Post by BlackSunshine »

Here are the end of day positions on the Operational Map.

Attachments
Overview.jpg
Overview.jpg (157.66 KiB) Viewed 343 times
BlackSunshine

Post by BlackSunshine »

Just an update.  Basically, Allied attacks have come to a standstill.  I expect the game to end very soon in an Overwhelming Victory.  No point in embarassing an opponent.
iaidoka2

Post by iaidoka2 »

How experienced was your opponent? and what was his basic mistake do you think?
BlackSunshine

Post by BlackSunshine »

ORIGINAL: iaidoka2

How experienced was your opponent? and what was his basic mistake do you think?

Im not sure of experience. I own all of the DB games and played this scenario twice before playing a PBEM.

Mistakes I noticed, which I will let my opponent know about and hopefully help him in the future would be... For starters, rarely was a unit dug in. It helps to prevent overruns and artillery is not nearly as effective when a unit is dug in.

Also, it was very easy to flank. When you can get to the support units of a formation (supply and HQ), things are obviously going to be bad. Always try to keep your supply trucks and HQ as far from the front as possible. Several times he did not see the flank coming until it was too late. Hex control means a lot in this game. Convert hexes to your control one turn to lessen movement penalties and if they arent converted back, attack the next.

Im not sure if my opponent used the combat advisor. A few times I noticed some isolated units which didnt get attacked.

And the main thing, at least for me, is to always have a cohesive line. Whether on attack or defense, I like to form a line to avoid getting flanked and allowing units to get isolated. They are incredibly easy to destroy when isolated.

Return to “After Action Reports”