Considering buying?

Battlefront features the power of battalion-level combat in some of this period's most bloody and intense conflicts: Saipan, Market Garden, Novorossisk, and Gazala. Players will have realistic control over their soldiers, with a tactical scale just large enough to make a telling difference in the strategic picture.

Moderators: Gregor_SSG, alexs

delusan

Considering buying?

Post by delusan »

If youre considering buying this title because you enjoy editing your own scenarios ... forget it. The editor is near impossible to figure out, and I have not been able to find an easy to follow tutorial for editing maps and units anyplace. Don't listen to those that tell you to go to the Run5 forum for understandable tutorials or to ask for help ... been there, done that. In my opinion (from the editing your own scenarios standpoint) its $60 thrown away. If youre into making your own scenarios, look elsewhere. Matrix puts out some gems, and it looks like they have more on the way - but skip Battlefront.
delusan

RE: Considering buying?

Post by delusan »

By the way - there is a discussion ( well, sort of) going on over at the Run5 Battlefront Scenario Design forum regarding this. It's getting interesting. Im beginning to hear from some other wargamers on the subject. Check it out if you have the time. The thread is titled "Beginners Editor Frustration". Maybe we can change SSG's mind on this matter.
geozero

Post by geozero »

It's too bad for the lack of documentation.  But sometimes scenario design takes a different process. 

First of all, it's never easy.  Even when you do know the program... or think you do. 

What generally works best is to reverse engineer an existing scenario... i.e., see how it was put together by looking at it, units, maps, etc. 

Next, try to make a small test scenario.  It could be a simple 20x20 hex map with a few features and units.  Then test it.  See what breaks.  Then expand from there. 

Seldom is it a good idea to try to create a complex battle into a scenario editor that is difficult and lacks support/documentation.  It's just a recipe for frustration. 

If you are looking to feed your scenario creation hunger, try VASSAL.  It's free.  You can create a map in PhotoShop or equivalent, and VASSAL has great support.  You can make ANY battle at ANY scale from ANY time period.  There's lots of documentation, support, and existing scenarios. 

Don't give up.
JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.
bennyb

Post by bennyb »

SSG have been a massive disappointment of late.  From the much advertised, but ultimately unusable Battlefront editor (for anyone with a day job who doesn't have a degree in graphic design), to the strange single-scenario marketing of Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets.  I for one don't know what to buy any more.  Battlefront seems to have been abandoned, so I'm once bitten twice shy.  If I buy Kharkov, will that system be abandoned too?  They have such a small design team, I doubt there's room for both Battlefront AND the Kharkov system.  Meanwhile, I'll hang onto my cash until I see some evidence that customers are being heard.

Ben

Return to “Battlefront”