Possible to play strategic only

Battle of Britain II “Wings of Victory” re-creates the famous and desperate air battles over southern England in 1940 at both the strategic level of the Air Commander and that of the individual plane and pilot. Relive what Churchill called "their finest hour", join the fight in the Battle of Britain!
morphin

Possible to play strategic only

Post by morphin »

Hi
Can you play this game on a strategic level (e.g. without flying a plane?). Like BOB from talonsoft? How does the AI compare to the new BOB/BTR when playing strategic?

Thank's

Andy
E

RE: Possible to play strategic only

Post by E »

You can, but the interface is a bit too clunky for a purely strategic game, for me. Sadly, it's the one area that was not improved at all since version 1. Which is a shame, as it still has great potential and was the reason I bought version 2 after shelving vers 1 so many years ago.  I've never played out a complete scenario due to the interface, so I have no idea how the AI does in the strategic arena.
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
morphin

Post by morphin »

Thanks E

I played a lot the old BOB and BTR and maybe also buy the new one here on the matrix forum, but i would like to check if this BOB2 WOV would be an alternative.....

Andy
kaybayray

Post by kaybayray »

Morphin,

This is a great game. IMO it leans heavily toward the simm aspects but it is also a great combination of Strat and Simm wrapped together.

The general play for the RAF is from the view point of Fighter Command built around the Plot Map and Reaction Center as was used in the Air Battle. You control all the Fighter Groups and Squadrons and decide on your interception doctrine and execute on incoming raids and sweeps. You can then select particular fighter groups/squadrons/aircraft to jump into for the intercept and fly the mission.

I highly recommend this game. I have not yet run a campaign from the Luftwaffe POV so I cant really speak about that yet. But this is a real Gem IMHO.

Later,
KayBay [8D]
It's all Mind Over Matter....
If you dont mind... It dont matter
Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

ORIGINAL: E

You can, but the interface is a bit too clunky for a purely strategic game, for me.

I actually kind of like the interface. It seems tidier than that used in some other games of this type, such as the new Grigsby game.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)
Government is the opiate of the masses.
dorjun driver

Post by dorjun driver »

As a newcomer to BoB (within the last week) I found the interface bit clunky.  Also there seemed to be a lot of information missing from the manual as well as some inexplicable behavior by the game engine.  Kind of like WitP/WitP:AE.

I almost gave it up.  But I bit the bullet, checked/queried the forums and kept on plugging away.  It is all starting to make sense!

Though I've only been toying around with the game for a week, I'm now starting to like the campaign aspect.  Give it a shot.
x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT
E

Post by E »

As an absolute minimum, it needs hotkeys for at least the on-screen switches. It also needs mouse scrollability (I have to zoom in fairly close to sort out the piles of huge icons, then having to use the scrollbars and/or dragging the map just the right amount is a pain for me). I for one would like to see the ability to intercept later made much less confusing. Not to mention more of the toteboards together. I think a lot of the game would be improved if we could see and use the toteboards for many actions.  As it is now, they're buried.
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!

Return to “Battle of Britain 2: Wings of Victory”