ATD2 Soviet AAR - no Squatter

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.
ComradeP

RE: ATD2 Soviet AAR - no Squatter

Post by ComradeP »

Except that the Germans didn't come close to Vyazma, Rzhev or Kirov during the operation, so that would basically require an overhaul of the scenario where a marginal victory is the capture of all locations up to the historical frontline, where Smolensk would be more important than Vyazma. Vyazma's worth too much for the Germans now in any case, considering how easy it is to capture it.

Random weather would be very nice too, as now both sides but primarily the Germans enjoy a period of sunshine that wasn't there in the actual battle.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
Talos Run5

Post by Talos Run5 »

An update on my games, just basically on the first turn and some thoughts about it. All 3 games have been different, with Avatar47 having the best start (i think i lost 47 units), i have turn 2 to play tonight. Slevi's game has advanced the furthest and i have managed to lose both Orsha (lost on turn 4) and Mogilev (lost on turn 2) the fist was just attacked 4 or 5 times in one turn and just wore the defenders down though they did inflict a fair few casualties on the attacking German forces. Mogilev just had to few defenders in it and was just wiped out along with the forces i had put in to 2nd echelon. I have since evacuated most of the way across the map in a north south line starting in the heavy forest west of Demidov and basically heading due south through the marsh and forest. Though i have been losing units nothing spectacular so far as i am trying to avoid major encirclements in this game so far. In the last game the Germans failed to take Vitebesk on turn 1 and allowed me to get substantial troops into the city also they did not get far elsewhere along the front line and allowed a large number of counter attacks against exposed individual units, which has some what blunted the German advance over the first couple of turns.

It looks like trying to get an optimum start as The Germans can make a big difference over the first few turns and also trying to keep the mobile forces intact as much as possible. I will have better idea once the other two games have got to about turn 4 to see how things progress.
"There is only one decisive victory: the last." (Karl von Clausewitz)
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

I've conceded the game against Squatter.

Nothing I tried was working, some of his good rolls seriously sped up his progress and cities fall like domino's regardless of how many guys are in the city hex.

Probably my worst defeat in a long while, really depressing how everything just kept on failing.

I'll spend the next few days working on a variant.

I won't finish/update the AAR beyond what's there now, unless people ask for it. I'll probably start an AAR for the next ATD PBEM session.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

Thank you for your work here ComradeP.  I enjoyed it.
God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.

Return to “After Action Reports”