Price - is it worth?

Can the Blitzkrieg be stopped? Across the Dnepr: Second Edition revisits a classic on a new system. Created from the ground up as an expansion for SSG’s latest acclaimed game engine, Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets, the Second Edition of Across the Dnepr includes Areas of Operations, the latest AI programming and multiple Mystery Variants to keep gamers guessing. Also includes 3 free scenarios in addition to the Across the Dnepr mega-scenario: Operation Husky, Operation Konrad and Kirovograd
Templer_12

Price - is it worth?

Post by Templer_12 »

Price - is it worth?

To Across the Dnepr - Second Edition we already have the huge thread "price".

I'm curious now:
who bought it and now says clearly: "yes, the price for this expansion pack is high but it is worth the money!"

(As an aside: I've puchased the also more expensive Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets in 2008 and I am saying clearly it is worth every penny!). [:)]
mgarnett

RE: Price - is it worth?

Post by mgarnett »

Hi Templar,

I'll say upfront that I'm a big fan of SSI games and the whole computerized board game look and feel so my opinion is a little biased. My personal opinion is that yes, this game is absolutely worth it. There may not be a dearth of scenarios or a huge community, but it does not detract from the fact that this is a really great game. I like the mechanics and like every SSI game, the AI is competent, which is important to me because I very rarely play PBEM games.

The game is relatively fast playing but deep at the same time, the scenarios are manageable for me and they are also easily playable little bits at a time. Whilst the graphics aren't groundbreaking by any stretch, they are functional and I think they fit in well the board game feel. I started my SSI adventures with Battles in Italy and due to the high quality of that game, I have bought everything they've released.

My advice is if you liked Kharkov, then you'll love the expansion.

Cheers

Mark
Mark Garnett
Brisbane Australia
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

Hello mgarnett,

you've found short and very apt words.
You don't have to persuade my person (I also own Battles In Normandy and Battles in Italy).

And I will definitely choose one more SSG game while the Christmas sale is offered.
Either Across the Dnepr: Second Edition with the modern engine (if some work some time with this engine you don't want to give up the included new feature the improvements and additions. It's very hard for me having fun with Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets and there after return to Battles In Normandy or Battles in Italy cause I miss some comfortable features then) or Battelfront here I find the supplied scenarios interesting.

With opening this thread, I hope that some players make a clear Statement here in a few words, that the game, even though expensive, is worth the money.

To put it briefly here:
we already have the Tread "Price" (8 pages, more then 220 posts) in which is stated that Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets/Across the Dnepr: Second Edition are at a high price.
OK, we know now the fact is: Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets/Across the Dnepr: Second Edition are expensive!

How about now is with over 8 pages and more then 220 posts in which the fact is stated that the games are worth the money?
So fact is: Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets/Across the Dnepr: Second Edition are worth every penny!

Better spending slightly more money for a quality product and having fun a long time as buying a game for pocket money buy where you realize frustrated after a short time that you actually just purchased a shiny DVD with packaging. [:@]

Well, my two cents. [:)]
SapperAstro_MatrixForum

Post by SapperAstro_MatrixForum »

I like SSG games, have since they came out in the early 80's. But they are certainly expensive in comparison to some of the other wargames for sale on here.

Are they quality? Yes indeed.

Are they content filled? Depends on how you look at it. If you compare this game to Decisive Campaigns; Case Blue, or the Ardennes Command Ops game, then SSG games really fall short (take a look at the scenario lists for Conquest of the Aegean and Battles for the Bulge. Masses of scenarios, of all sizes and shapes, and it takes a bit of work making them too). In lieu of content, why not make it? Well, the scenario creator, especially the AI editor is very opaque in its usage, and SSG never put together a real set of tutorials on them, and those they did put out came late in the day, so the content creation died off. Add to this SSG's total silence and lack of any follow on to this game, and things have become totally stagnant, if not forgotten.

I bought this game. I enjoy this game and love the engine. But I really, really wish there was more content for this engine. A terrible wasted opportunity.

Return to “Across the Dnepr - Second Edition”