Popularity

Achtung Panzer:Operation Star is an Eastern Front wargame with solid graphics and sprawling battlefields that really emphasize the scope of WWII tank combat. The gameplay is a remarkably realistic turn-based and real-time operational/tactical hybrid wargame that continues the series begun by the acclaimed Achtung Panzer: Kharkov 1943.
wings7

Popularity

Post by wings7 »

I can't believe this game is not more popular. [&:] Am I missing something here?

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Lobster

RE: Popularity

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: wings7

I can't believe this game is not more popular. [&:] Am I missing something here?

Patrick

Yes. It takes some thought to play. Seems the easier games that take little thought, just move and shoot, like WitE, are most popular. Beer and pretzel stuff is all the rage.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

It is popular on Graviteam forum,but Matrix will not support the game,no patches or any news
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

It is popular on Graviteam forum,but Matrix will not support the game,no patches or any news

I don't think it is a Matrix issue as much as a Graviteam one. IIRC, they were burned by a publisher, maybe paradix, and were skeptical of anyone else. They're going it alone.

But I agree that this title especially deserves a wider audience. IMO, it blows Combat Mission away on almost every level and is probably my favorite game ever.

Mo Reb
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
StkNRdr

Post by StkNRdr »

I have CMBN and CMFI with all the addons except GL. I stumbled across this simply because of the sale. I am only into it 4 or 5 turns. So far, I am really liking it. So much more to explore. Not having H2H is too bad but I see they are exploring that. So far I give it two thumbs up.
kev_uk

Post by kev_uk »

The game has been out for some years, I started playing with Achtung Panzer Kharkov '43 about 4 years ago, and was amazed then that it was overlooked by a lot of the wargaming community. The game has been improved massively since that title and I notice has a wider market base now than it did when first released, which is good. Yea, an unsung hero in my opinion.
Fetrik

Post by Fetrik »

I Think what killed the title the most was the hardships of patching.
I bet tons on people would have loved to play the game but the patch issues just killed their interest.
kev_uk

Post by kev_uk »

Yeah, the second worst patching experience since the original Falcon 4 and its mods. But I worked it out, but I guess the less PC literate folk failed. Shame really, its a good game.
StkNRdr

Post by StkNRdr »

I personally didn't find the patching process to be excessively difficult. There is a helpful thread on how to do that in this forum. As an update to my post above about the non-existence of H2H, the fact of the matter is it looks like there will never be any form of multi-player. This could be an issue for some buyers.
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Return to “Achtung Panzer Operation Star”